U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2010, 05:56 PM

28 posts, read 112,040 times

Advertisements

Possible relocation to Albany coming up, and from reading many of the threads in here, it looks like this is the area that would best fit my desires...

- City neighborhood
- Safe
- Artsy
- Nice, old apts/housing stock
- Walkable, with plenty of options for dining/entertainment

My only concern is that most of the opinions I've been reading have dated as far back as a few years ago, which was before a lot of the economic chaos hit the country.

How is the Center Square area today? Holding up well? Still reasonably safe? On an upswing, holding steady, or sliding back (in terms of overall quality of life)? Do people still feel okay walking around this area early in the morning? Late at night? I prefer to commute on foot, and run my errands on foot to boot, as much as possible. Will I feel safe and happy doing that in Center Square?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but they're all essentially the same question, so any info you can give is appreciated.

One last thing, for anyone familiar with both Albany and NYC...would there be a neighborhood in NYC you'd say is comparable in "feel"? That would make a nice reference point.

TIA

(Edit: Oh, if it matters, I'm a 30-something, white, straight, single, professional, reasonably yuppie male. This info only so you can better gauge how comfortable I'd feel with the CS demographics.)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 08:58 AM

724 posts, read 591,212 times
You'll love it. The neighborhood is pretty much holding steady. There are some for sale signs but not an abundance. Some buildings on Lark St are being renovated and new businesses are moving in. The neighborhood revitalized many years ago and probably won't diminish anytime soon. It is easily one of the most, if not the most vibrant neighborhood in Albany.

Example: My partner and I walk around the area at all hours of the night holding hands and have never had a problem.

Very walkable area! If you go on walkscore.org (I think) the area gets the highest Albany rating. There is also an abundance of public transit available. Every bus that goes uptown in Albany passes through Center Square. We are moving to another CS apt this weekend that has better access than where we are now (Madison and Swan). Four buses stop at the end of hour street (1/4 block away) and 10 or more stop a few blocks away.

All in all, I think you'll love the area. It sounds like the perfect fit for you!

Old 03-29-2010, 06:49 PM

267 posts, read 905,214 times
I agree w/jaykibs! I love the Center Sq. area. I would feel comfortable in the area.

Old 04-01-2010, 01:18 PM

Thanks for the replies so far. The area seems too good to be true. I realize it's a very small neighborhood in a big, sometime gritty city. But for someone like me who really prefers to stay close to home, to find a local pub or two to call my own...it's young, trendy, safe, hip, urban, and has brownstones that would cost me 10 million bucks in NYC for around 400k...

I guess it's the cynic in me, but I'm still looking for the catch. If the only catch IS the small neighborhood in a big, gritty city thing...I can live with that for all the tradeoffs.

Keep 'em coming.

Old 04-01-2010, 05:13 PM

I believe there are plenty for less than 400K. The catch is that there is scare parking, though my partner and I have taken our car out of the equation. It has good public transportation to compensate.

Some streets aren't the best, like Garden Street, which is this strange dead end road filled with auto body shops that looks sketchy at night and Spring Street, on the Washington Ave side. At Lancaster and Dove there is an empty lot surrounded by a fence and another just around the corner on Jay St, but infill housing is going there. However, Lancaster is still one of the nicest streets in CS, IMO the nicest after State Street, so the vacant lot doesn't diminish the charm. My partner and I are moving there this weekend actually.

As for Albany itself, there are definitely some gritty areas but nowhere near as bad as some people would have you believe. There are some places that are even beautiful. Center Square is easily the nicest area of it to live in and sounds just like what you describe (with a bit less on the 'gritty' thing).

If you do move there, let me know how you like it.

Old 04-03-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykibs View Post
I believe there are plenty for less than 400K.
Yeah, but those ones wouldn't cost me ten million in NY. Only a million or two.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:03 PM

LOL this is true!

Old 08-09-2010, 07:19 AM

My unbelievable journey is at an end.

Found a dream home on State. 5 BR, 3 BA Victorian townhome, just like we always dreamed of living in NYC. Hardwood everything, fully pimped out gourmet kitchen, nice large bath that the (new!) fiancee and I are redoing to feature a spa tub and separate shower stall. Quaint little yard with small garden and Japanese style landscaping. Great neighbors, and fully walkable neighborhood so no car is no worry. I'd have needed to ransom a Rockefeller for this place in New York. Here, settled for 425!

Thanks so, so much for all your help, because I'm not sure I'd have even visited if not for the advice here...and now, I'm living in my perfect home.

If you have a mobile, middle or upper-middle class income, and like a comfortable urban lifestyle, I can't imagine there's a better value to be found. Center Square, FTW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area