U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2010, 01:14 PM

254 posts, read 1,080,457 times

Advertisements

What is up with the drivers in the Capital region? Is it just me or are they unusually uptight, arrogant and self-centered ? I mean...These people seem to be friendly enough in person (for the most part) but as soon as they get behind the wheel of a car they turn into evil Ba$@*rds. Don’t turn quick enough, don’t pull away from a light quick enough, they speed up to prevent someone from merging or changing lanes...even if there are more than 3 car lengths and you change lanes, people will flip out. Passing a chain of cars on the right lane of a highway and I'm doing 70 and someone flies up behind you and before you can even have a chance to pull back into the right lane, starts flashing their lights and flips you the bird as you are getting back over to the right. Woooowww!!! Seriously, I have been in most regions of this country and I have to admit even North Jersey and the Boston metro aren't even as bad. Close seconds but this place beats all I've ever seen. I am not an aggressive kid nor a pokey senior either. I see people flip off on others besides myself as well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 05:43 AM

21,132 posts, read 22,197,742 times
May be symptomatic of 'cabin fever'.....months of little sunshine gets to 'ya.

Old 04-02-2010, 07:14 AM

25 posts, read 33,007 times
I live here, there's bad drivers (of course, as is there everywhere).. I don't notice it as much as in other places, and I travel frequently? I think Boston is quite worse, personally. I do think people cut me off a lot here..... but that's it.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:32 PM

5,721 posts, read 5,840,786 times
I FREAKIN HATE Albany drivers (I go to school in Rochester and I hate Rochester drivers too, but for different reasons.) Yeah Albany drivers can pretty much be characterized by a single intersection. You know when you are on the Northway going South, and there is the exit where you can either get on the Thruway (Buffalo/New York) or I-90 W (Boston)? The Thruway one is always backed up so people try to sneak in. But then people won't let them sneak in so they get cars behind them that want to go on I-90 W to Boston. So having anticipated this, I'm in the far left lane where I won't be affected by the Thruway traffic at all. But then I see the right lane traffic spilling over into the middle lane. I know what's about to happen. I pray that it won't happen. This person will follow the rules of the road as we all should. They won't be rude/put my life in danger by cutting into the left lane when I'm going 55 MPH. They won't. I'll be fine. They do. Now I have to SLAM on the breaks and worry about getting rear ended.

Happens about 50% of the time I use this intersection.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:54 AM

613 posts, read 2,122,657 times
The Northeast has never been known for the nicest drivers. One of my best friends is one of the nicest and most polite people that you'll ever meet. She's teaches kindergarten (in the Albany area) and absolutely personifies the image of a sweet and patient teacher - until you get her into a car. At that point she turns into a vicious, swearing, impatient fiend who will flip you the bird for the smallest thing. It's the place where she takes out her aggressions.

However, I'm originally from Albany, but now live in Boston. I have to respectfully disagree with you about it being worse than Boston. I have to watch my driving whenever I go visit my family in Albany because the driving behavior that's unofficially acceptable in Boston - disregard for turning lanes, aggressively cutting people off when there's no room to fit, etc. is not something I see nearly to the same extent in Albany. But I will agree that Albany drivers aren't the warm and fuzzy types either - especially during the rush hour.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:12 AM

254 posts, read 1,080,457 times
Default Good examples

Yes Juppiter, that I-90 interchange is a great example of where to be on alert for road rage because of people wanting to get ahead of the crowd and then cut back in.(ME FIRST- attitude). They screw it up for ALL the other drivers and not just themselves.

About Boston being worse. Maybe it is, but it is a much larger metro and as for me, I tend to adjust by getting myself psyched and prepared for ANYTHING to happen, turn my radio down, keep both hands on the wheel as if I am entering a war zone. Same way with Northern NJ. So that when I get through without incident, I just just tip my head up for a moment and thank God. Kind of like the newest huge rollercoaster. You enter the gates and ride with fear. Then when you get off, you kind of say to yourself ... "wheeeh, now that wasnt so bad" ... "kind of enjoyed it".

Back to Albany/Schenectady. For the size of the area, it shouldnt be this bad and it comes down to expectations and reason. Its unreasonable that people should be so uptight.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:59 AM

6,473 posts, read 14,234,576 times
I've lived in many various places all over the world and NYS drivers are no worse or better than anyplace else. I think the problem is people lack patience and a sense of humor. Instead of getting mad, cursing, driving aggressively, just sit back and laugh at people's stupidity. It never ceases to amaze me.

Old 04-18-2010, 02:52 PM

207 posts, read 589,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
I've lived in many various places all over the world and NYS drivers are no worse or better than anyplace else.
I agree with Ellwood. Most people seem to think the drivers where they currently live are the worst. They can't all be right...

Old 04-19-2010, 02:37 AM

5,721 posts, read 5,840,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anothertntony View Post
I agree with Ellwood. Most people seem to think the drivers where they currently live are the worst. They can't all be right...
I mean, I've only lived two places.

Albany: *******s. Will tailgate you when you're slowing down anticipating the upcoming red-light so you don't have to break before it turns green. D'err. Will put you in life-threatening situations.

Rochester: Idiots. Will stop when it's just a yield sign. Will go 45 mph on an expressway. Will break in the left lane even though there's a median turn lane.

Yeah, I've never met drivers I'm satisfied with. I definitely think every city has it's quirks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area