Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2007, 03:16 PM

4 posts, read 10,862 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are thinking of relocating to somewhere in either Warren or Saratoga county. We are not sure if one of these two (or both) areas are good for retirees. Are these areas inhabited by mostly younger families with children in school. Are taxes stable or on the rise? We live in Massachusetts where home prices are very high and would like to relocate to my wife's native state and enjoy a small town lifestyle that is relaxing and enjoy our retirement.

"Cape Codder"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 04:58 AM

9,304 posts, read 16,610,834 times
Default Retiring to Saratoga

We bought a house last year in Saratoga (Schuylerville). After numerous searching throughout DE, PA, RI, we decided on NY. Housing is very reasonable especially if you are coming from NJ or MA. We have a fantastic contractor, honest, reliable who built the house originally and has added a few features. School Taxes are a little high. NY has property tax deductions for seniors, veterans and energy star (also state tax pension deduction). The people are friendly, helpful and will go out of their way to help you. We are approx. 10 miles from Saratoga Springs where there is plenty to do and the area is gorgeous.

Our realtor actually made the process of finding a house a lot of fun and was more interested in helping us find the right house than his concern about a commission.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:58 AM

Thanks Elwood,

This is the type of info we wanted to learn about. The fact that you chose the Saratoga area over the other states you mentioned says alot. We have
visited the Saratoga area and agree that it is a beautiful place. Thanks.

Cape Codder

Old 06-06-2007, 11:56 AM

1 posts, read 2,740 times
Default I know the area

I can Suggest a realtor in Saratoga Springs. He is very knowledgeable, and has a good familiarity of the smaller towns around the region. I know because I toured the area with him. His name is Todd Moyer and he can be reached at
Realty/USA in Saratoga Springs at 518-584-0743.

My name is Robert Decker. Good luck

Old 06-10-2007, 09:55 AM

Default Realtor

If you are interested I can let you know the realtor we dealt with, who has lived in the area his entire life and/or builder. The builder is excellent: The house is very energy efficient, the detail is meticulous and he is dependable. We are currently maintaining both residences until we move up permanently in less than a year.

Old 06-10-2007, 11:21 AM

Elwood, Thanks for the offer. Yes, you can email that info to my wife and myself. We have contacted a broker in the area, but are not so sure that they are that interested. We will be travelling up to the Saratoga area in a couple of weeks to scout out a broker and see what they have to show us.
We have thought about Wilton, Queensbury, Glens Falls as possible place to move to.

You are right about high cost of housing in MA. And taxes here can be a burden. We have State sales and income taxes. Although the sales tax is less by far than other states.

"Cape Codder"

Old 06-10-2007, 01:40 PM

Default Retirement Considerations

We have noticed prices are quite a bit less in the area (groceries, Lowe's & Home Depot) than in NJ. Sales tax is about the same as NJ; but your cost of living is less.

A site we found interesting when narrowing our search for retirement:
RETIREMENT LIVING INFORMATION CENTER - Retirement Communities and senior lifestyle data (Taxes by State). You might also use a Cost of Living calculator, which you can find on the net. By entering the area you are living and the area you are interested in moving, it will give you a breakdown of costs.

We found by moving to that area our costs were 35% less than NJ.

Old 06-11-2007, 07:51 PM

25 posts, read 91,411 times
Get yourself a nice summer cottage there in the North Country and vacate in the winter. It's way too cold in those counties in the winter and there is a lot of snow to shovel....why would you want that in your retirement years? Beautiful lakes and colorful autumns though, ....now that's living!!

Old 06-18-2007, 11:42 PM

42 posts, read 178,156 times
Everybody loves to go to Saratoga, which is why it is getting too crowded. Warren county is prob next. Simplify your life and live near a city or town, as when you get older you don't want to have to take care of that big house with a lot of land, far far away from everything. Think practical. I'm seeing the original owners (built in the 60's) of the small houses (ranch,cape, etc) in the development I'm currently living in (which is close to everything), having trouble keeping up even one of these kinds of houses, because there bodies are giving out. If something happends to my father (due to old age), my parents would not be able to maintain the huge house they bought new in 1969, anymore. Sometimes, it takes 1 major thing, when your older, to totally render one inactive (As your body does not have the ability to heal anymore). I see people who once had a lot (stuff) get rid of most of it as they get older, cause they don't need or want it anymore. Bigger house means more maint. more furniture you need to fill it and less time and money to make it nice. Some things to think about.

Old 06-19-2007, 09:20 AM

Zyll,

Your comments are thought provoking. We have already thought about just such situations where we currently live in MA. We are not looking for a huge home with a big lot. And we want to avoid a two story home, unless it has provisions for a downstairs bedroom or a conversion to one.
We want to avoid the 55 and up type housing with the associated restrictions they come with as they are all priced over 400K right now. Even though they look attractive and up to date, they are still "pricey".

We are aware that the area between Albany and Lake George over to the VT border is filling up as we speak, but we are coming from a fairly crowded and traffic congested area with lots of tourists in season, so it is something we are used to. I think it will be less so it the area I described above. Also, we have concluded that homes are so much more affordable in that area. I just sold a three-bedroom ranch one-bath '50s ranch on 1.6acres for far less than the appraised value which my town just raised to 450K!

That same home in upstate NY would have gone for far less. And for the money I recieved in the sale I figure I could have bought a home with 2000 sq. ft. 2 and 1/2 baths, four bedrooms on an acre or more. Home prices here are helping to drive people from the state of MA along with the arduous permitting process builders have to go through to build them.

Thanks for your comments.....

Cape Codder
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area