U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 09:02 PM

10 posts, read 22,921 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm possibly moving to Albany area. The job would be in Latham. I'm 26.
Where is a good part of town to live that's still convenient to work? How is traffic there? Where is a young professional area?
What is there to do for a young professional in this area?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 09:12 PM

3,487 posts, read 9,689,677 times
Try within Latham:

The Woodlands Apartments for Rent | Apartment Finder

Quote:
Good luck there. Hopefully someone will be able to give you more input.

Old 04-24-2010, 05:24 PM

I hope so. I've read through a lot of the posts about moving up there, but none seem to answer the questions I've asked. Thanks for your help though!

Old 04-24-2010, 06:24 PM

2 posts, read 31,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvyalots249 View Post
Hi, I'm possibly moving to Albany area. The job would be in Latham. I'm 26.
Where is a good part of town to live that's still convenient to work? How is traffic there? Where is a young professional area?
I don't know that much about Latham apartments, but I'd suggest moving as close to your work as possible. The traffic there, especially on Route 9 is pretty intense.

Old 04-24-2010, 07:47 PM

267 posts, read 891,343 times
There have been lots of posts about moving to Albany lately. Search through some that can give more detail than I can give. In short I'd say try Albany, lots of younger people w/all the colleges, restaurants, & bars. Central Sq. and Lark St. are nice areas. Pine Hills is also nice. I'd think a young professional new to the area would like to be in the middle of the action. When you are tired of it, then try the 'burbs. Enjoy downtown Albany while you are young.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:15 PM

Thanks guys!

j12308.. would the traffic be killer driving from downtown to latham?

Old 04-24-2010, 09:15 PM

65,627 posts, read 91,492,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j12308 View Post
There have been lots of posts about moving to Albany lately. Search through some that can give more detail than I can give. In short I'd say try Albany, lots of younger people w/all the colleges, restaurants, & bars. Central Sq. and Lark St. are nice areas. Pine Hills is also nice. I'd think a young professional new to the area would like to be in the middle of the action. When you are tired of it, then try the 'burbs. Enjoy downtown Albany while you are young.
I was thinking the same thing...Another area might be the Upper Union area of Schenectady too.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:17 AM

thanks guys. a couple more questions - how long does it take to get around town? I would hate to live downtown and have it take 2hrs to get to work in the morning. (I know traffic where i am now can be absolutely horrendous..)
What is the culture like in Albany? Is there any sort of arts following? Is there a steady flow of concerts coming in?
Also, and I know this may sound a bit ridiculous - are there any good dance studios around that have adult tap?

Old 04-25-2010, 08:00 PM

267 posts, read 891,343 times
I did a quick Mapquest.com
Driving Directions from [82-112] State St Albany, New York to Latham, New York
search for directions from the middle of State St. in Central Sq, Albany to Latham, it was 8.5 miles, 15 minutes driving. Going North in the am, and South in the pm is reverse to the normal commute. I'd say most people are coming to Albany for work and live in the suburbs.
As far as concerts, and the arts, I think there's a lot. You'd have to search the various city's venues, get on their mailing lists (email or snail mail) and you'll hear about all of it. There are just so many to mention all of them, but a few that I've been to are Times Union Center, Palace Theater, the Egg - Albany; Proctor's Theater, the Van Dyke - Sch'dy; SPAC - Saratoga. For adult tap, again not sure, I'd google it. I'm more into modern dance, I recently saw the Ellen Sinopoli Co. - wow! It seems like a lot of cities are having various art nights every month, Sch'dy's is the 3rd Friday. I know there is one in Troy as well.
The culture in Albany...well that's difficult for me to really answer, I don't live in Albany, my husband works in Albany, we go for dinner or for a show. We looked at several houses, but ended up in Sch'dy. Are you able to come for a visit before deciding? Are you able to spend a few nights in a hotel and look around at the area? You may like other areas too, I like Troy's downtown - the architecture is gorgeous, it also seems to have some great things going for it, despite what you may read. Sch'dy might be an option as ckhthankgod suggested. The Upper Union area is quieter than Albany. But I like that area. Several blocks of shops & restaurants, w/in walking distance of Central Park in Sch'dy. About a 15 minute drive to Latham Driving Directions from [1-99] N Ferry St Schenectady, New York to Latham, New York[1623-1699]+Union+St:Schenectady:NY:12309:US:42.80444:-73.90375:block:Schenectady+County:1:::/l:::Latham:NY::US:42.746899:-73.759399:city::1:::/io:1:::::f:en_US:M:/bl:/e
If you want to consider Sch'dy, I'd also look at possible condos/apts on State St. near Proctor's or the Stockade. The Stockade to Latham is about 25 minutes. Driving Directions from [1-99] N Ferry St Schenectady, New York to Latham, New York
Honestly you really need to keep in mind that the cities around here have bad reputations, but I think each one has some great stuff going on, the arts, nice restaurants, there is never a lack of things to do. Besides all of the arts which I love, there is all the outdoor stuff. I'm not sure if you are into that or not. But there's a lot of hiking, biking, skiing, swimming, etc. The thing that I found to be the hardest part of living here is finding the things to do, things aren't advertised really well, which is why I suggested getting on the mailing lists. The other thing is overcoming the naysayers. You'll hear a lot of negative attitudes about the cities Albany, Troy & Schenectady. They are cities and you have to have some street smarts; and really it is what you make of it! Good luck!

Old 04-27-2010, 11:49 AM

65,627 posts, read 91,492,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j12308 View Post
I did a quick Mapquest.com
Driving Directions from [82-112] State St Albany, New York to Latham, New York
search for directions from the middle of State St. in Central Sq, Albany to Latham, it was 8.5 miles, 15 minutes driving. Going North in the am, and South in the pm is reverse to the normal commute. I'd say most people are coming to Albany for work and live in the suburbs.
As far as concerts, and the arts, I think there's a lot. You'd have to search the various city's venues, get on their mailing lists (email or snail mail) and you'll hear about all of it. There are just so many to mention all of them, but a few that I've been to are Times Union Center, Palace Theater, the Egg - Albany; Proctor's Theater, the Van Dyke - Sch'dy; SPAC - Saratoga. For adult tap, again not sure, I'd google it. I'm more into modern dance, I recently saw the Ellen Sinopoli Co. - wow! It seems like a lot of cities are having various art nights every month, Sch'dy's is the 3rd Friday. I know there is one in Troy as well.
The culture in Albany...well that's difficult for me to really answer, I don't live in Albany, my husband works in Albany, we go for dinner or for a show. We looked at several houses, but ended up in Sch'dy. Are you able to come for a visit before deciding? Are you able to spend a few nights in a hotel and look around at the area? You may like other areas too, I like Troy's downtown - the architecture is gorgeous, it also seems to have some great things going for it, despite what you may read. Sch'dy might be an option as ckhthankgod suggested. The Upper Union area is quieter than Albany. But I like that area. Several blocks of shops & restaurants, w/in walking distance of Central Park in Sch'dy. About a 15 minute drive to Latham Driving Directions from [1-99] N Ferry St Schenectady, New York to Latham, New York[1623-1699]+Union+St:Schenectady:NY:12309:US:42.80444:-73.90375:block:Schenectady+County:1:::/l:::Latham:NY::US:42.746899:-73.759399:city::1:::/io:1:::::f:en_US:M:/bl:/e
If you want to consider Sch'dy, I'd also look at possible condos/apts on State St. near Proctor's or the Stockade. The Stockade to Latham is about 25 minutes. Driving Directions from [1-99] N Ferry St Schenectady, New York to Latham, New York
Honestly you really need to keep in mind that the cities around here have bad reputations, but I think each one has some great stuff going on, the arts, nice restaurants, there is never a lack of things to do. Besides all of the arts which I love, there is all the outdoor stuff. I'm not sure if you are into that or not. But there's a lot of hiking, biking, skiing, swimming, etc. The thing that I found to be the hardest part of living here is finding the things to do, things aren't advertised really well, which is why I suggested getting on the mailing lists. The other thing is overcoming the naysayers. You'll hear a lot of negative attitudes about the cities Albany, Troy & Schenectady. They are cities and you have to have some street smarts; and really it is what you make of it! Good luck!
Great post and see if there are alternative media guides in the area too. That might be the best place to look for things to do. For instance, other cities have alternative papers like Artvoice in Buffalo, the New Times here in Syracuse and the Ithaca Times. I'm sure the Albany area has a similar type of newspaper as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area