U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2010, 03:48 PM

1 posts, read 3,367 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to upstate NY from southern Indiana. Husband will be working Glens Falls. Is Ballston Lake/Clifton Park too far away to live? Looks like commute would be about 45 minutes. Thought I would ask the question on this forum as you are the people who would know the area. Thanks for any input.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 04:12 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,440,387 times
Glens Falls is a cute town. Why would you want to go way out of the way? That area of the state is pretty quiet. And Lake George is only about 8 miles away, which is a beautiful lake for summertime and has some really nice homes there. I have a friend there who actually lives in Gansevoort, but he does most of his socializing in Glens Falls. It's a cute little area. Have you visited it, yet? I have no idea what you're looking for, but it's pretty up there, and Lake George and Saratoga Springs nearby are bonuses. Good luck with your search.

Old 05-04-2010, 05:37 AM

6,484 posts, read 14,247,052 times
The taxes are more reasonable in Glen Falls vs. Saratoga area. We are in Saratoga (12 miles out of town) and it is approximately 30 minutes to Glen Falls via Northway. If we go to Clifton Park, it is another 20-25 minutes. So your estimate of 45 minutes sounds about right.

There are so many areas upstate you might consider, but it depends upon what is important to you in where you live.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:35 AM

66,450 posts, read 92,341,245 times
I agree. I think there is no reason to not live in the immediate Glens Falls area. If you don't want the city of Glens Falls, then something like Queensbury/West Glens Falls, South Glens Falls, Hudson Falls, Lake George, Fort Edward and maybe even Warrensburg might work. Is there a reason for not living in the immediate area? If it is schools, then I believe the South Glens Falls, Lake George and Queensbury SD's might be the best in that immediate area. I don't think the others are bad to where you wouldn't consider them either.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:36 AM

267 posts, read 894,122 times
I'd agree w/the others, why wouldn't you want to live in Glens Falls? I think it's a great town, I love the downtown. The surrounding area is just beautiful. Clifton Park isn't worth the commute to Glens Falls. CP is a pretty typical suburban area, strip malls, chain restaurants.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:11 PM

382 posts, read 1,428,536 times
Here are some photos of Glens Falls. Looks nice. GLENS FALLS, NY - - brought to you by Photos From On High .com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area