U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 08:47 PM

10 posts, read 55,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j12308 View Post
I love Scotia! Great town. I'd love to hear about your trip, what did you like the most, what touristy things did you do? You had great weather. Maybe make a trip North from Troy, to visit Ballston Spa & Saratoga, rather than west to Rotterdam & Amsterdam. I just love the history, the architecture, and close to the Adirondacks. If you end up going north, see if anything good is happening at SPAC, check out the Saratoga State Park, the big mineral deposit & springs are cool to see, the formal pool, etc.
I pretty much had a crash course on the busing system, where the 55 bus took me from Albany to Schenectady. Yes, I did get lost and it was almost midnight when I got there. Downtown Albany reminds me of a neighborhood here called Clinton Hill, where they have many ethnic restaraunts and many people walking down the street. The SUNY campus was crazy! When I did get the grand tour of the cities, I really enjoyed Proctor's and Bomber's. I spent most of my time in Schenectady, as I came across many hidden jewels and stores there. There was only one person there who asked me, "What brings you to Schenectady?" and the famous "Oh, your're from the city? Well, why would you want to move here?" question. It was far from derrogatory, I'm chalking up to people askijg questions and wondering why would I move from a place that has everything.

Me and my boyfriend (who failed to mention that he is a product of Rotterdam) actually walked across the bridge from Schenectady into Scotia, where I saw Jumping Jack's and that huge park. We have big parks here, but nothing like Scotia. It was amazing to see how close these cities are from each other. I was like a kid in a candy store. He told me about Saratoga and Lake George too. I know I'm going to need more than two days to see and get a sense of everything
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 04:07 PM

63 posts, read 133,233 times
Hi Sapphy,

Welcome to the area! I've lived in both Alb & Schen, and I much preferred Alb. I was single at the time though, and didn't have any kids. As far as schools, Schen is probably better than Alb, if you're talking about the city schools for each. If you can get out into the suburbs though, the Albany suburbs have some excellent school systems. Bethlehem is very good (Delmar), also East Greenbush (across the river in Rensselaer Co.), and North Colonie (just north of Alb.)

I like Albany also for its activities & events - outdoor festivals, free concerts all summer, etc. There's Washington Park & Corning Preserve for walking, museums, all that great stuff. Better job market in Albany also. Sadly, Schen has really been struggling since GE started downsizing several years ago. It went into a recession/depression way before the rest of the country, and although real estate prices are lower because of it, property taxes are also way higher.

So that's my 2 cents. Enjoy the area!

Old 05-17-2010, 09:59 PM

Hi Locolady, and thank you. I'm not officially in the neighborhood yet, but I'm strongly considering it.

I realize that there are many places that I have yet to see, and I think I'm going to need a car. I'm just saying. I noticed that Albany has a decent job market, I just hope that I can get a decent job in social work there. I know getting one in the city is a longshot, hence my decision to relocate. I can easily commute from Albany if I really have to, as long as it's reasonable.

I do believe that Schenectady has alot of promise, and I recently researched their downturn. I noticed that the property taxes are high, so I'm not going to bother buying a home. I do plan on renting an apartment once I do settle on a location. I lived in a house before, and it's not my thing. But first, I need to land a job. Like I said, I'm not looking for a six-figure salary, but I don't want to live from check to check like I am in NYC.

I have to check out Delmar, East Greenbush, Colonie, and every other town all of you have mentioned. I thank everyone who has given their two-cents. This has made my research much easier, especially coming from people who actually live in the area. I truly appreciate it.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:53 AM

264 posts, read 408,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boobooxx20 View Post
I would like to say, both are filled wit drugs and violence. there are cities such as amsterdam which is only 45 min away from albany and 25 from schenectady. if you would like to know some examples i will tell you.

I've lived in Schenectady for almost 31 years, and have never actually had problems with either of these things. Of course, you will... if you're in that crowd. And yes, it happens. But, drugs and violence happens in every single city. Sometimes you hear it more often, sometimes less so.. but it's everywhere, you know? You do have to have "street smarts" in certain parts of the city- again, isn't that the case with many cities? We're not really unique in that area.

Anyway, OP..
I'm so glad you enjoyed your visit here!!! There are many great aspects of our area, and lots of things to do

Old 05-22-2010, 09:55 AM

8 posts, read 32,884 times
I just moved from Brooklyn to Schenectady. I really like it. There's definitely a buzz in the air that good things are happening. I love the sunday farmer's market, the huge library, jay st., and the new YMCA is GORGEOUS.

Also, I'm spending half the money for twice the space.

I'm pretty happy

Old 05-22-2010, 01:11 PM

I love the farmers market here, too! And we definitely have a nice library
I'm glad you're enjoying it here!

Old 05-22-2010, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika♥Chris♥Lexi View Post

I've lived in Schenectady for almost 31 years, and have never actually had problems with either of these things. Of course, you will... if you're in that crowd. And yes, it happens. But, drugs and violence happens in every single city. Sometimes you hear it more often, sometimes less so.. but it's everywhere, you know? You do have to have "street smarts" in certain parts of the city- again, isn't that the case with many cities? We're not really unique in that area.

Anyway, OP..
I'm so glad you enjoyed your visit here!!! There are many great aspects of our area, and lots of things to do
I loved loved LOVED it! I'm just upset that I can't get there every weekend Drugs are common place, and I pretty much keep to myself. I won't have a problem staying out of certain areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattymax View Post
I just moved from Brooklyn to Schenectady. I really like it. There's definitely a buzz in the air that good things are happening. I love the sunday farmer's market, the huge library, jay st., and the new YMCA is GORGEOUS.

Also, I'm spending half the money for twice the space.

I'm pretty happy
See? I really need to make the move. LOL. In all seriousness, Schenectady has everything that I like in a city. Unfortunately, I found out that many of the people who lived near me in Brooklyn, now live in Albany. Anywho, now that I know Schenectady will be my new place of residence (Well, for now - I'm still going to scan a few more towns until I make a final decision) I need to find schools and a job

A million kudos to you all. Thanks so much! If there's anything else that I need to know, please feel free to add anything.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:47 PM

Ahhh you mentioned Lake George. You need to get there! I go to Lake George at LEAST 5x a year (if not more.. sometimes towards 10, or more).. and never get sick of it. I love, love, love Lake George. It's a GREAT place. Tons to do, beautiful scenery, loooove it. And it's just about an hour from Schenectady, perfect for a day trip.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:35 PM

I think I may have to stay a week in order to see everything LOL. It's well worth it though, it's like another world.

Old 05-23-2010, 06:28 AM

267 posts, read 891,122 times
What kind of job are you looking for? Looking for an apartment yet?
On Friday I just went to Art Night, it's on the small side but it was nice to walk around downtown, see everyone milling around. My kids love the 3D art and the music. I missed the fashion show which was the main event but next time. For art night, if you go, you want to figure out what the main thing is that month and make sure not to miss it. One time there was a performance by the NE ballet co, w/music and someone reading poetry and artwork projected onto a screen behind the dancers, all at the same time. There was a story to it and it all worked together so well. It was AMAZING! I couldn't believe they only did one show. Another thing that a lot of people don't realize but Vale Park is GORGEOUS. Yes crime has been known to happen there, so don't go by yourself at night. 99.9% of the time no problems. I bring my kids there, w/other moms and we are always fine. Anyways, there are gravel roads, and some paths to walk on thru the park/woods; you walk past ponds, streams and check out the old tombstones as you get closer to the cemetary side. If you can look past some trash and vandalisim, it's really a beautiful setting. Central Park's rose garden in full bloom is amazing. If you like to mountain bike, Central Park towards rt 7 and the soccer fields have great trails, they are very popular. Free tennis lessons for residents at the park in the summer. Central Park has a lot going on in the summer, free music, festivals, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area