U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 11:11 AM

10 posts, read 55,456 times

Advertisements

I'm still looking for employment in the area, and I'm also looking into other areas in case I can't find my ideal job. I also have to look for after school programs for my son, since nine times out of ten I may not get off of work until 5 or 6 PM. A friend of mine also told me about programs that will help out new residents until they get on their feet, but I'm trying to do things the right way. If it was a "Must-leave" situation, then it would be a different story.

As for apartments, I looked on some of the websites and found a few that I like. I also found a few in my price range for a 2-bedroom. Next time I make a trip, I'm definitely going to check out the areas and see if it's worth the rental. I'm also going to see about renting options as well.

I already decided to get a car once I move there, since getting a car in the city is robbery and the insurance even more so. At this rate, I'm looking to move within a year.

Oh, and one more question: Are there any churches that are non-denominational? I noticed a lot of Catholic churches, but Catholicism is not my thing. Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 08:06 PM

15 posts, read 16,517 times
New here, chiming in. . .

Glad you like the area! I live in Schenectady. Moved away for a bit when I attended college, and came back after. Has it's downsides here, as does every single city. I love it, though, and would never move elsewhere. Great central location to so many awesome places.

I'm afraid I can't help with a church, as I don't attend. Hopefully someone can help!

Old 05-28-2010, 09:17 PM

267 posts, read 891,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SapphyChica View Post
Oh, and one more question: Are there any churches that are non-denominational? I noticed a lot of Catholic churches, but Catholicism is not my thing. Thanks in advance.
When you say non-denominational, do you mean Christian just not specifically Episcopal or Methodist, etc??? People that I've met that say they go to a non-denominational church, they are always Christian churches.

For example when I google non-denominational, Sch'dy; several come up - like this one: Bellevue Gospel Chapel Here's a quote: "The Bible tells us of God's generous gift of love in Christ.
"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Jn 3:16 "

Now if you mean not necessarily Christian, you could take a look at The First Unitarian Church in Sch'dy. If you are looking for a religious community that draws on many faiths, this might be the place for you. Here is a quote from their website First Unitarian Society of Schenectady "At a First Unitarian Society of Schenectady worship service or meeting, you are likely to find members whose positions on faith may be derived from a variety of religious beliefs: Jewish, Christian, Buddhist, naturist, atheist, or agnostic. Members might tell you that they are religious humanists, liberal Christians, or world religionists."

There are so many types of places of worship in this area that you may need to "shop around". Even w/in the same denomination one Episcopal Church can be totally different from another for example. Certain churches have mostly elderly, others are more of a mix.

If you are more specific, I might have a better answer for you.

Old 05-30-2010, 07:41 PM

I forgot to mention that tid-bit as I was posting. Sorry.

I did mean a non-denominational Christian church. But someone already directed me to a list of churches, and Schenectedy's website, which gave me so much information.

I didn't know the rent was so reasonable, I'm actually shocked. Sch'dy will be my new place of residence in 2011! I can easily commute to a job, that's no biggie for me. All I have to do now, is get a full grand tour of Sch'dy County

Old 06-03-2010, 05:06 PM

8 posts, read 32,884 times
Default Renting

Here's a tip:

Coming from NY, I scoured the internet looking for a rental.

It's really not the way to do it.

Up here, I eventually found a place walking around the neighborhoods I liked. For Rent signs are posted all over the place. Walking around found me many more interesting places than craigslist.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattymax View Post
Here's a tip:

Coming from NY, I scoured the internet looking for a rental.

It's really not the way to do it.

Up here, I eventually found a place walking around the neighborhoods I liked. For Rent signs are posted all over the place. Walking around found me many more interesting places than craigslist.
Thanks for the heads up I'm used to going on Craigslist and finding everything. I do scan online, so when I eventually get there, I can see the place for myself, as well as go other places. I haven't found anything as of yet (That and a minor setback- hence me leaving this high proced landfill) and I'll be back up there soon.

Last edited by SapphyChica; 06-03-2010 at 08:19 PM.. Reason: OOPS!

Old 06-04-2010, 09:37 PM

254 posts, read 1,078,406 times
Default Welcome to the Capital District

I have lived in both Albany county and Schenectady. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Schenectady is beginning to be a classic Victorian revival town. GE splitting town really took its toll but Neal Golub who owns Price Chopper adds alot to the town. Beechnut is also investing heavily in the city now. Other plans are in the works for a better city.

I notice alot of people from the "City" come up here and about fall over with amazement at the cheap prices of housing. This is true if you are used to the "city" prices. HOWEVER!!! the average wages for an average job is completely whacked out. Be prepared to not find much over 9-11/hr. Unless you are in a specialty field or have a VERY useful degree. What people from the city don’t understand is that the cost of living/income ratio is perhaps one of the worst in the nation. The real estate marketeer’s just love when people from richer areas come with jaws dropped. It insures that the local natives continue to get priced out of their own city. Nothing personal here. Really, I'm glad to here you’re seeking a better more sane life. Best wishes

Old 06-05-2010, 07:46 AM

267 posts, read 891,122 times
We didn't come from NYC, we came from Boston suburbs 7 years ago. Back then my husband came here making just a little more than he made in Boston, and the houses were about 1/2 the price, taxes were about 2x, but all in all cost of living & quality of life has been better here for us.

Old 07-01-2010, 12:07 AM

210 posts, read 369,955 times
We moved from the midwest to Schenectady for 8 months until mid 2009 and loved it, the high school was diverse and had great teachers, good grocery stores and Unitarian was a neat church. Many of the Schenectady neighborhoods were great

Old 07-28-2010, 11:03 AM

507 posts, read 806,908 times
[quote=midwest liberal;14852959]We moved from the midwest to Schenectady for 8 months until mid 2009 and loved it, the high school was diverse and had great teachers, good grocery stores and Unitarian was a neat church. Many of the Schenectady neighborhoods were great[/quote

I've lived from coast to coast, north and south.
The Capitol area in general ,IMHO, is the best area to live in the USA.
Scotia and Glens Falls are real gems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area