U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2011, 04:52 AM

3 posts, read 8,687 times

Advertisements

j12308, i like your passion for sticking up for where you live. and i agree there is crime and issuse no matter where you live. i live in raleigh n.c and its a beautiful place and alot to do all depending on what you're in to. but i work very hard for little income in comparrison to people in the north. the coust of living continues to go up here but much to be desired in pay checks. i want my dughter and neice to grow up with better oppurtunities. and what does lottery school mean? we have public,private,charter,calender year round ,and magnet. i have a few years before my sister and i have to worry about school, but what makes for a good school district?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 06:47 AM

3 posts, read 8,687 times
happy for ms. brooklyn with your sucesssful move. makes me fill positive about making my move back to schenectady from north carolina. i need to know about that farmers market, wasent expecting to see one up there.everyone is talking about everthing positive that i want to share with my family. i'm going to be runing down interviews and residences options around the first of march if weather permits. the snow will take some getting use to once agin.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:06 AM

1 posts, read 1,822 times
Albany is better...

Old 05-18-2014, 09:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,302 times
I am moving to the Albany area this August 2014 due to a new job, and I need to say that I am a little scared now that I have read all these comments! I was so excited about trying a new place and about living in upstate NY, and now I do not even know what to think. What would be a good, safe area to rent a home? Thanks so much!

Old 05-19-2014, 07:38 AM

247 posts, read 468,160 times
In what neighborhood exactly are you working? Single or married? Have kids?

Old 01-30-2015, 06:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,118 times
Not sure about all the rules - first time poster. We will be moving to either Albany or Schenectady NY. Husband just took a new job. We want to figure out where to live. We currently live near a Lake in Webster, MA in a neighborhood that feels like a campground. Pretty and friendly. Lots of trees and a view of the water. However, grocery shopping is 5-10 minutes away. How can I learn about the "neighborhoods" and get a flavor of the area. We are 58 and 63 with no kids or dogs and probably want an apartment for the first year. I enjoy being within 20 to 30 minutes of great restaurants and cafes. Near fitness centers.. Love to kayak and hike. What's the best way to get a birds eye view of the region near Albany and Schenectady. We're from Ohio and have never been in this area. Thanks!

Old 01-30-2015, 06:39 PM

65,491 posts, read 91,302,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scull View Post
Not sure about all the rules - first time poster. We will be moving to either Albany or Schenectady NY. Husband just took a new job. We want to figure out where to live. We currently live near a Lake in Webster, MA in a neighborhood that feels like a campground. Pretty and friendly. Lots of trees and a view of the water. However, grocery shopping is 5-10 minutes away. How can I learn about the "neighborhoods" and get a flavor of the area. We are 58 and 63 with no kids or dogs and probably want an apartment for the first year. I enjoy being within 20 to 30 minutes of great restaurants and cafes. Near fitness centers.. Love to kayak and hike. What's the best way to get a birds eye view of the region near Albany and Schenectady. We're from Ohio and have never been in this area. Thanks!
Are you looking for an urban, suburban or small town/rural area?

Old 04-10-2015, 01:43 PM

327 posts, read 335,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SapphyChica View Post
I'm currently weighing my options in regards to relocating to Upstate NY. I'm currently living in Brooklyn (Yes, I know) And will be graduating college next year. I also have a child who is school-age, so I'm also considering the educational system.

After narrowing down my choices based on location (being able to travel to the city without hassle) and the most cost-friendly for a single parent/college grad (I'm planning to get a job within either area that I choose, if I can) I'm stuck between Albany and Schenectady. As of this moment, I'm stuck.

I guess my questions are these:

-Which is better to raise children in?
-Which would be more "cost-friendly" (Not ghetto, I'm trying to leave that in Brooklyn)
-Which place would have a better chance for me to land a job. Not looking for six figures, but I want to survive.

Hopefully someone will help me out with this, as my relatives and friends want me to stay in Brooklyn (er....no!) Thanks in advance.

Albany, by a landslide. If you want quiet, then Schenectady/Niskayuna is the place.

Although, Schenectady downtown is making a comeback, after the city gave away all the tax payers money to the business owners.

Still, Albany has more to offer, when you consider the night life (was good when I was 18-22, then got old), the arts, the parks, the schools, etc.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:00 PM

1 posts, read 874 times
What are the closest places to live if you were given a job opportunity in Delmar NY....At the Justice Center in
Delmar NY

Old 06-02-2015, 04:44 PM

65,491 posts, read 91,302,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlondon View Post
What are the closest places to live if you were given a job opportunity in Delmar NY....At the Justice Center in
Delmar NY
If you are referring to the two cities in the title, then Albany would be the closer city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area