Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2010, 06:46 AM

131 posts, read 410,578 times

Advertisements

We are a family of 5, looking to buy a home in a couple of years. I am doing research now...seeing which areas we should leave on our list. We are currently renting in MA, and have family in MA, NH, and (most in) CT. We would love to stay closer to family, but can't afford to buy a home around here. I've discovered the Syracuse area, which is almost exactly what we are looking for (cheap homes, nice neighborhood, great schools), but I am not a fan of all the snow, or the fact that it is 5.5 hours from family. If we could be closer to the Albany area (or anywhere in eastern ny for that matter), it could allow us to be 2-3 hours closer to family (plus I hear it snows less there).

So here is what we need...3+bed/2+bath 1150+sq ft home with great schools, safe neighborhood, somewhat close to highways for less than 120K. Is that possible anywhere around your area? Or should I just continue to focus on Syracuse?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 06:49 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,663,180 times
You might check out Glen Falls and Saratoga. People will say Saratoga is pricey, but there are homes for sale in the outlying areas (Schuylerville, Moreau, Northunderland, etc.) that are within your price range. Also look into Clifton Park, Balston Spa, Malta, outlying areas of Albany. The snowfall is less than Syracuse area as we don't have the lake effect snow.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:55 AM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
I agree with Ellwood in that Glens Falls and outlying communities in Saratoga County could work. Something in South Glens Falls or Ballston Spa should work. Maybe something in Washington County like Hudson Falls or Cambridge could possibly work too.

With that said, I wouldn't stop looking at the Syracuse area.....lol

Old 05-13-2010, 12:59 PM

267 posts, read 971,508 times
I'd say it's possible in Schenectady. Take a look at a real estate site, the Woodlawn section of Sch'dy has a lot of affordable single family homes, when you are looking at a map, look for elementary schools -Woodlawn or Paige. Another section of town that would be affordable and nice would be near Upper Union in Sch'dy; Parkwood/Glenwood near Ellis Hospital; Lenox, Ave. A near Union College might be an option too. I tried searching quickly, I found several that were over your price, but maybe could be negotiated down. Like this one: 1422 Mcclellan St, Schenectady, NY, 12309 - MLS #201016671 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com® Here is one I found that was less than 100k: 1818 Avenue A, Schenectady, NY, 12308 - MLS #201016164 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com® The Bellevue neighborhood near Hillhurst Park is nice too: 330 11Th St, Schenectady, NY, 12306 - MLS #29120624 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com® If you have any questions about Sch'dy, feel free to ask. Good luck

Old 05-14-2010, 06:27 AM

382 posts, read 1,531,249 times
Schenectady has some nice residential neighborhoods that are quite affordable . I am thinking of the Upper Union Street area. Just a thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area