U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2010, 07:07 PM

554 posts, read 1,369,712 times

Advertisements

How prevelant are snakes in this area? Does anyone know? Have any of you encountered snakes in your yards? Share your stories and what part of Albany you live in....I
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 08:28 AM

267 posts, read 890,766 times
I've never seen a snake in my yard. I live in Sch'dy. Where I live it's suburbs but w/in the city. I've only ever seen them in the woods, maybe in parks that are wooded, but mostly in the Adirondacks. I'd say if you lived in an area w/tons of trees, more rural, it would be a possiblity. Even in the woods I've seen mostly gardner snakes, once on a hiking trail at Lake George I saw a rattler.

Old 05-16-2010, 12:13 PM

63 posts, read 133,135 times
I've heard stories about rattle snakes up in the mountains, but I've never seen anything more than a garter snake in the whole area. Lived here for about half of my life - currently in Rensselaer Co. I go out for walks and jogs frequently, and once in a while I see a smooshed garter snake on the road - but not often.

Funny question! Are you thinking of move here, and are afraid of snakes?

Old 05-17-2010, 06:59 AM

6,322 posts, read 14,151,283 times
We live in Saratoga, about 10 miles from town. We have only encountered one gardner snake, which is one too much for my wife.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locolady View Post
I've heard stories about rattle snakes up in the mountains, but I've never seen anything more than a garter snake in the whole area. Lived here for about half of my life - currently in Rensselaer Co. I go out for walks and jogs frequently, and once in a while I see a smooshed garter snake on the road - but not often.

Funny question! Are you thinking of move here, and are afraid of snakes?

No, actually quite the opposite . I grew up in the capital district and moved to Charlotte a year ago. I'm trying to get my family down here and they would be on board in a minute but my aunt is freaking out about snakes because she read its prevelant in Charlotte (I've never seen one). I told her to do a little research on Latham area before thinking there's more snakes in Charlotte than where she already is. After all, my mom has had a snake in her basement last years and there were a hand full of stories about people finding snakes in their homes in the last few years. Just thought I'd ask.....see what others have been experiencing.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:14 PM

613 posts, read 2,115,549 times
I grew up in the Latham area and my parents are still there (although I no longer live in the Capital District). I can thankfully say that we never had any snakes. There may have been a garden snake or two in the yard, but my parents are into planting flowers and vegetables so they may have unearthed them. I'm probably jinxing myself and the next time I visit, there will probably be a snake in my room! Eek!

Old 05-18-2010, 09:47 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,498,305 times
You'll mostly only find garter snakes around here, if you find any at all, and only in grassy or wooded areas. Occasionally you might come across a Rattle Snake up near Lake George (especially the Tongue mountain area), which I think is the biggest area in the state you'll find them, but I hear they're not a big deal so long as you watch where you step and don't bother it.

Living in the suburbs of Schenectady my whole life, I've only rarely seen garter snakes in the woods.
I'm sure if you did a google search of rattle snakes in NYS you'd be able to find mapped out areas they like to hang out.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:07 AM

thanks!

Old 05-22-2010, 01:13 PM

264 posts, read 407,897 times
Have lived here my whole life.. have honestly NEVER come across 1 snake yet Worms, yes... haha... no snakes.

Old 07-12-2010, 05:27 PM

9 posts, read 18,454 times
I grew up outside of Saratoga Springs, a little town of Galway and you were lucky to see an occasional garter snake but that was about it. Now...I live in Arizona and you have to watch out this time of year for Rattle Snakes, Mohave Rattlers, Black Widows, Scorpions...not fun! I love it back east...all except the mosquitoes, humidity and black flies...LOL!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area