Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2010, 04:13 PM

2 posts, read 33,007 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I need some help. My FI just took a new job and we have to move from Florida to Albany, NY. We have about 2 weeks to find somewhere to live! YIKES!!!!! We are looking for somewhere in the suburbs in a safe neighborhood and within 20 minutes of the airport. I want to live somewhere I can walk my dog alone in the evening and be able to run without having to worry. Please help! We're so stressed out and don't know where to even start looking. I've heard that Latham, Colonie, Clifton Park, Waterford and Watervliet are all safe areas. Is one better than another? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 04:41 PM

93,315 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepilotsgal View Post
Hey everyone, I need some help. My FI just took a new job and we have to move from Florida to Albany, NY. We have about 2 weeks to find somewhere to live! YIKES!!!!! We are looking for somewhere in the suburbs in a safe neighborhood and within 20 minutes of the airport. I want to live somewhere I can walk my dog alone in the evening and be able to run without having to worry. Please help! We're so stressed out and don't know where to even start looking. I've heard that Latham, Colonie, Clifton Park, Waterford and Watervliet are all safe areas. Is one better than another? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I would look at suburbs like Latham, Colonie, Loudonville, Niskayuna and Guilderland. Can't forget Delmar and Clifton Park too. Latham is right next to the airport, as is Colonie. All of them are in good school districts too. Clifton Park(Shenendehowa SD) is in the biggest school district and Niskayuna has the reputation of being the "best" school district in the area, but again like I mentioned, all of them are good. This information should help you out:

https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/County.do?year=2009&county=Albany (broken link)
New York schools - NY elementary, middle and high school information

https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/County.do?year=2009&county=Schenectady (broken link)

https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/County.do?year=2009&county=Saratoga (broken link)

https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/County.do?year=2009&county=Rensselaer (broken link)

RealtyUSA | New York Real Estate |

Also, what is your price range and are schools important? What about other factors?

Old 05-20-2010, 04:52 PM

2 posts, read 33,007 times
Thanks! We're looking to keep rent at or around $700. I'm a teacher, so school districts are very important. The only other real factor is the safety. I'm a runner and we take our dog for walks. We currently live in a small community in south FL and it's very safe (most of the residents are retired).

Old 05-20-2010, 05:24 PM

93,315 posts, read 123,941,088 times
If you are renting, then these websites should help you out: Albany Apartments for Rent | Albany Apartment Finder

Renters Guide - Albany Apartments in New York and Albany, NY Apartment Complexes (http://rentersguidealbany.com/index.cfm?page=search&do=results - broken link)

I wouldn't think that you would have any problems in those areas mentioned in terms of crime and like I mentioned before, all of those school districts are good.

Here's some more information you might like to look at: Capital Region Jobs

Education & Training jobs in Albany, NY - Yahoo! HotJobs (http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/job-search;_ylc=X3oDMTFiMG44cmw2BF9TAzM5NjUxMTI1MQRwYX J0bmVyA3RpbWVzdW5pb24Ec3JjA2NvbnNvbGU-?partner=timesunion&kw=&locations=Albany%2C+NY&met ro_search_proxy=2&metro_search=2&industry=EDU - broken link)

Old 05-21-2010, 04:08 AM

48 posts, read 168,209 times
I heard recently that Carpenter Village in Guilderland has apartments for rent. Nice place. It's private and still close to everything.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:06 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,097,494 times
I'm surprised no one has brought up Niskayuna. The area around Nott St near the library and HS has sidewalks and would be good for running. Also not far from the Mohawk river trail which is even better. Definitely less than 20 min from the airport also.

Clifton Park is nice, and where we used to live around Exit 8 was only 14 min from the airport. Problem is you will not find sidewalks nor streetlights anywhere in CP, so you'll have to walk your dog in the street carrying a flashlight. Very annoying!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area