Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 08:28 PM

995 posts, read 2,727,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon-Marie View Post
I personally would stay away from here, if you are African-American. People are not opened minded here. They like stay in their own litttle "clicks" and are very ignorant to people from other ethnic groups.
You just described half of America.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:47 PM

508 posts, read 1,086,744 times
I can say without any doubt, Albuquerque is the LEAST cliquish place I've ever lived. Albuquerque has some issues with segregation sure, but relative to most other U.S. cities, it is a very tolerant, integrated, and open-minded place.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:37 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,023,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burquebinder View Post
I can say without any doubt, Albuquerque is the LEAST cliquish place I've ever lived. Albuquerque has some issues with segregation sure, but relative to most other U.S. cities, it is a very tolerant, integrated, and open-minded place.

I would say that ABQ is cliquish, not in the sense of segregation but cliquish in that everyone mostly keeps to themselves or with thier own group of people.

honestly, I think people are racist no matter where you go, and I have heard plenty of racial comments myself, not towards me but about other races. I think people are just quiet about it.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:38 PM

238 posts, read 634,691 times
Thumbs up Click Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post

I would say that ABQ is cliquish, not in the sense of segregation but cliquish in that everyone mostly keeps to themselves or with thier own group of people.

I'd rep you, but I have to spread it around.

Very true, sir. A lot of that is also based on race, which is still pretty sad. And Santa Fe is worse. It is by far and away the most cliquish city I have ever been to. You are either a tourist, a native, or a snobby wannabe from elsewhere. That's SF in a nutshell.

Burque can be that way too, but not nearly as bad. You have cliques of liberals, hippies, lefties, and granolas in Nob Holl. You have rich, yuppie cliques in the far NE heights. You have your multi-generational "Spanish" familia cliques in both the North and South Valley and Barelas. Then you have your Mexican/South American cliques in the Southwest and South Valley too. It's here, just as it is in every city. And a lot of it is most definitely based on race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
honestly, I think people are racist no matter where you go, and I have heard plenty of racial comments myself, not towards me but about other races. I think people are just quiet about it.

Unfortunately, if there are two people left on Earth, then there still will be racism.

--BtK

Old 01-25-2010, 10:46 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,252,035 times
I don't have a racist bone in my body! People are people, the difference in color and culture is what makes it very interesting.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:24 PM

2,140 posts, read 6,467,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Rankin View Post

Or, if you want to wake up everyday for 2½ yrs. after you arrive, and still feel like you're on vacation.
Yes!

Old 01-26-2010, 02:17 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,023,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTH View Post
I don't have a racist bone in my body! People are people, the difference in color and culture is what makes it very interesting.

you may not, but plenty of others do, they did a thing on the radio this morning about females(White/Hispanic) dating blacks and almost everyone that called in said that their family hated the idea or that guys didnt want to date them if they knew they had been with a black person before or was just against it.

unfortunatly there will never be a place where everyone lives in perfect harmony

Old 01-31-2010, 12:16 PM

995 posts, read 2,727,341 times
Default foreclosure

Lets like ABQ has fair much better than some of the neighboring cities in terms of foreclosure.
KOB.com - Albuquerque fares better than most in '09 foreclosures (http://www.kob.com/article/stories/S1393048.shtml?cat=504 - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque