Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 08:14 PM

326 posts, read 840,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralthor View Post
Yes it would be easy to apply for jobs in ABQ while living in Santa Fe, its not to bad of a drive depending on how far away from the highway you are coming from/going to. Not to mention most people are commuting in the opposite direction.

That said if you got a job in Albuquerque you would probably want to move here. Besides not having to commute so far the cost of living is much less and (in my opinion) the variety of services and quality of life is much better. Unless you are living for free with your family or become extremely attached to Santa Fe and its culture, I can't see what benefit you would have living there and commuting to Albuquerque.
If I got a job there I would definatly eventually move. My parents are giving me 6months to find a good job and get on my feet.

There is lots of outdoor things to do in Albuquerque as well right? I loved going to the Festivals in Santa Fe/Taos. Do you have things like that down in Albuquerque??? Is it mostly adobe too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 08:17 PM

aries63-
The picture in your profile is really cool! Where is that?

Old 08-11-2010, 08:38 AM

5,061 posts, read 7,460,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkMagaritas View Post
aries63-
The picture in your profile is really cool! Where is that?
Off-topic, but it was taken at Kasha Katuwe Tent Rocks National Monument, between Albuquerque and Santa Fe. One of my favorite spots.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:43 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,426,921 times
Albuquerque residential architecture is about:

30% mediocre faux-dobe, the early and mid-twentieth century standby.

30% mediocre contemporary Spanish Colonial and assorted stucco covered pitched roof houses many of which are quite spacious but flimsy; the is the majority of the sprawl and about 30 years old to brand new.

30% mid-century ranch/bungalow as can be seen almost anywhere from the midwest to the west coast. Many of these are solid but not necessarily visually appealing. Most of these from the 50's through the 70's.

The remaining 10% is pretty nice (real adobe, Victorian/Queen Anne, well done faux-dobe, modern, everything else). The nicest houses in town span the longest period from the 19th century to the present.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Albuquerque residential architecture is about:

30% mediocre faux-dobe, the early and mid-twentieth century standby.

30% mediocre contemporary Spanish Colonial and assorted stucco covered pitched roof houses many of which are quite spacious but flimsy; the is the majority of the sprawl and about 30 years old to brand new.

30% mid-century ranch/bungalow as can be seen almost anywhere from the midwest to the west coast. Many of these are solid but not necessarily visually appealing. Most of these from the 50's through the 70's.

The remaining 10% is pretty nice (real adobe, Victorian/Queen Anne, well done faux-dobe, modern, everything else). The nicest houses in town span the longest period from the 19th century to the present.
excuse my ignorance but what is faux-dobe? What exactly is real adobe? Is it easy to tell the diffrence?

Old 08-11-2010, 11:55 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,871,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkMagaritas View Post
excuse my ignorance but what is faux-dobe? What exactly is real adobe? Is it easy to tell the diffrence?
Adobe is a type of mud, used to make bricks, sun dried or some times baked. The adobe mud is usually also used as mortar for the bricks and then a covering.

"faux-dobe" is an imitation adobe made from cement. Also called stucco.

Here is one thread discussing adobe: https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-m...l#post10735778

Rich

Old 08-12-2010, 01:23 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,426,921 times
Yeah, just to quickly expand on what Rich said, a faux-dobe is made of the same 2x6 studs and chipboard sheathing as any frame house but you omit the pitched roof and slather it in stucco: Voila! Faux-dobe!

Real adobe is mud brick with 18 - 24 inch thick, super insulating walls.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:48 PM

1,568 posts, read 4,431,508 times
I love genuine adobe walls. The only problem with them is that they have to be mudded every year.

I'm almost too old for that. ;-)

Old 08-23-2010, 01:56 PM

1,369 posts, read 718,217 times
Default Blanket statement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
ABQ is better in every category than Santa Fe.
Oh come on. That surely isn't helpful. We're talking about preferences here, with reasons... not just arbitrary blanket statements.

e.g. Santa Fe is cooler and that's something people might enjoy if they don't like the heat so much.
Albuquerque is less expensive and also, less exclusive. So, if you have a lot of money, you can probably be amongst more of your peers, finance-wise in Santa Fe. (although like anywhere there are pricy neighborhoods in ABQ too)
Santa Fe has a more Disney like theme (everything must look adobe and similar in color to older buildings). ABQ has a more gritty, urban feel.
None of these statements stand without caveats but they are general impressions. That's essentially what the post is about.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:50 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,046,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcos View Post
Oh come on. That surely isn't helpful. We're talking about preferences here, with reasons... not just arbitrary blanket statements.

e.g. Santa Fe is cooler and that's something people might enjoy if they don't like the heat so much.
Albuquerque is less expensive and also, less exclusive. So, if you have a lot of money, you can probably be amongst more of your peers, finance-wise in Santa Fe. (although like anywhere there are pricy neighborhoods in ABQ too)
Santa Fe has a more Disney like theme (everything must look adobe and similar in color to older buildings). ABQ has a more gritty, urban feel.
None of these statements stand without caveats but they are general impressions. That's essentially what the post is about.

like I said, ABQ is better in every category imo, so any category you can think of, I think ABQ is better in, so no need to state 1,000 reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque