Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 07:27 AM

78 posts, read 196,276 times

Advertisements

It looks like I am headed to Albq. in about 3 weeks for a new job. I need a 3-month rental with a yard. I am a single 50+ adult with 2 large dogs, one a Lab/Golden mix (?) and the other a Lab/Rottie mix. Both are well behaved and friendly, and the Lab/Rottie is 11 and doesn't get excited often. Several apartment complexes in Albq offer short leases but the minute they hear about one dog being a Rottie mix, they show you the door (politely of course). I can spend up to 1000/mo. Any safe part of town!! HELP!! Suggestions are most appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 07:44 AM

1,633 posts, read 3,744,450 times
Apartments do not seem to like the big dogs too much and private landlords with houses and yards prefer the longer leases.

Have you tried the Albuquerque Journal? You could also try Craigslist.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:00 AM

Thanks! I have been looking at Craigs list but the short-term rentals have tended to be furnished and quite expensive, and or no pets allowed.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:19 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,190,015 times
Two suggestions:

*Find a roommate wanted listing where dogs aren't mentioned or they already have dogs. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

*Neglect to mention Rottweiler (perhaps use a less maligned breed name like Serbian Hound or Hovawart; if it's a crossbreed you can perhaps get away with that, or better yet "Lab Mix", "Mutt", or "Heinz 57"), or neglect to bring that dog over when meeting w/ the landlord. If after you started renting the landlord notices said dog, mention he's just visiting and prepare for the consequences if they ever come.

Funny with two dogs (one part Rottweiler) you're worried about safe parts of town.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:42 AM

372 posts, read 712,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
Funny with two dogs (one part Rottweiler) you're worried about safe parts of town.
Do you only become friends with people that would make good bodyguards? Many people have a dog for companionship, myself included, and not for protection. Just because this dog is part Rottweiler does not necessarily make it mean, a good guard dog, etc.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:39 AM

1,633 posts, read 3,744,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post

*Neglect to mention Rottweiler (perhaps use a less maligned breed name like Serbian Hound or Hovawart; if it's a crossbreed you can perhaps get away with that, or better yet "Lab Mix", "Mutt", or "Heinz 57"), or neglect to bring that dog over when meeting w/ the landlord. If after you started renting the landlord notices said dog, mention he's just visiting and prepare for the consequences if they ever come.

I would recommend that you do not do this. I think honesty upfront is key.

Since you are making initial contact from out of state, I would suggest you email photo's of your dogs to potential landlords and explain that even though it is a Rottweiler mix, the dog is eleven years old and very peaceful. Let the potential landlord make their own informed decision so no nasty surprises and potential trouble comes knocking down the road.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:05 PM

4 posts, read 6,609 times
Why mention the mix? Just that they are Labs and docile should be all you need to mention. You are setting yourself up for failure by focusing too much on the perceived negativity of your likely sweet dog (we had an 11-year-old rotweiler and she was like a teddy bear). Good luck!

Old 04-26-2011, 05:14 PM

60 posts, read 219,540 times
I agree with Elmstart's answer. You have 2 mixed Lab breeds, and one is old and sleeps a lot! They are both good, quiet dogs and will be no problem!

Old 04-26-2011, 11:14 PM

741 posts, read 1,380,669 times
cglore,

I hope this is of some help. I remember that a poster about a year ago had luck with this place. I understand your situation as I am trying to move (actually away from Albuquerque) and am finding it a challenge with companion animals.

If the link does not work, it is Sunrise Apartments on Lomas near Tramway. I tried to post a link to German Foods last night and just could not make it work...There are no yards at this complex but it has good access to trails and paths and might help for a temporary solution.

Wishing you good luck!

Old 04-27-2011, 08:44 AM

I just pulled up the link you provided and the web site says 'no breed restrictions' !! Excellent! This is the most promising prospect yet! Thanks, and good luck on your move (where are you headed?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque