Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 11:42 AM

20 posts, read 48,487 times

Advertisements

Does any one know of any out of state chain restaurants coming to Albuquerque? We could really use a Chipotle and a Panera here. Last I checked neither of these chains are coming to town. It's a shame because at least Panera would clean house here.

Also, does any one know what's being built in front of Lowes on Paseo del Norte by I25?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 12:49 PM

277 posts, read 682,166 times
You think so? I kinda like the original, smaller-scale places to eat instead of the chains. Chipotle seems kind of silly out here given the other (more authentic) burrito places available.

Panera wouldn't be bad for the working lunch crowd - where I used to live, they put in a Panera in the middle of a street of other independent, delicious local restaurants and there was an outcry. However, that place was always ridiculously packed. Lots of people came in just to read or work - that got annoying really fast if you actually wanted to eat there and all the tables were taken.

I think we have just about every other chain-y kind of place - not 100s of them, but at least one, in the city?

Old 08-19-2010, 12:49 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,180,690 times
Chipotle, Qdoba, Rubio's, and other assorted fast-Mexican chains are probably smart to stay away, though I'd like to have the option of dining at them. Rubio's in particular would probably do well. Albuquerque's isolated location and unique cuisine situation is probably why you see these chains stay away, though one or two of each could probably stay alive; heck, they're opening Taco Bells in Mexico and they're thriving.

Panera's niche is pretty well filled by Flying Star restaurants. I know they're not the same, but they're close enough for most locals. I suppose if I had the choice of one next to the other, I'd pick the Flying Star. Panera always appeared a bit too "anytown-USA" for me, though the food and environment are good.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:37 PM

49 posts, read 107,641 times
How about a Potbelly's? I'm not normally a fan of chain restaurants, but Potbelly's is YUM!

Old 08-19-2010, 03:41 PM

548 posts, read 1,216,991 times
I would also love to see Potbelly's! And I really do wish we had a Qdoba. I mean, Albuquerque has Taco Bells (yuck) so why not Qdoba (yum)?

Old 08-19-2010, 03:45 PM

72 posts, read 195,628 times
Chipotle's used to have a couple locations here, they went out of business a couple years ago.

Old 08-19-2010, 03:49 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,180,690 times
After eating at both, much prefer Chipotle to Qdoba. Qdoba apparenly has a location in Farmington, while the nearest Chipotle is in Pueblo CO (I've eaten at that one many times).

Taco Bell is more geared toward the lowest-common-denominator I-have-$2 to eat dinner with tonight crowd. The other restaurants mentioned don't really cater there. Taco Cabana has carved up most of the Qdoba/Chipotle/Rubio's/Baja Fresh market as well.

It's sad to say, but when you can't get NM food because you're not in NM, these other restaurants are 90% as good.

And don't forget El Taco Tote. I've been told Tote means big.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:51 PM

581 posts, read 1,172,058 times
Chipotle burritos are pretty different than the standard burrito you get around here. Bumblebees is similar but they are waaaaay overpriced. I would love a chipotle here.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:01 PM

1,321 posts, read 2,028,250 times
I wish the chains will stay out, it keep NM unique. The chain I like is Logan's Roadhouse. Oh well we will see.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:11 PM

1,566 posts, read 4,422,967 times
One thing that has always impressed me about Albuquerque is the abundance of locally-owned businesses. These places help to define the area.

If I see an influx of chain stores, I'm pickin' up stakes.

The vision of corporate America is for the citizens of every city to feel comfortable. If residents see a Home Depot, an Albertson's, a Wendy's, they'll feel like they fit in.

I hope Albuquerque doesn't turn into one of those places where its malls look exactly like those of Phoenix, San Diego, and Portland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque