Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2010, 05:27 AM

31 posts, read 73,660 times

Advertisements

Hello there, I’m in the Army thats about to retire in a few weeks after 21 years and I used to be stationed at Kirtland Air Force Base in woking with DTRA back from 1998 - 2002. I love the area so much that my wife and I are moving back after I retire towards the end of this month. My wife has family and friends the so a place to stay will not be an issue

We are so looking forward to get back into the job search. Im just wondering whats out there for jobs as i used to be a mechanic but wish not to continue on with that. My wife just got her 2 year degree in Accounting but she wishes to work in some small docters office doing insurance and billing, that type of stuff. I know it will be hard but im just looking for a job to make me happy and not necessarily a Mechanic job but something else. Thank you all for any insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 06:58 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,688,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnd4ever2001 View Post
Hello there, I’m in the Army thats about to retire in a few weeks after 21 years and I used to be stationed at Kirtland Air Force Base in woking with DTRA back from 1998 - 2002. I love the area so much that my wife and I are moving back after I retire towards the end of this month. My wife has family and friends the so a place to stay will not be an issue

We are so looking forward to get back into the job search. Im just wondering whats out there for jobs as i used to be a mechanic but wish not to continue on with that. My wife just got her 2 year degree in Accounting but she wishes to work in some small docters office doing insurance and billing, that type of stuff. I know it will be hard but im just looking for a job to make me happy and not necessarily a Mechanic job but something else. Thank you all for any insight.
Welcome back and thanks for your decades of service!

Not sure about jobs. Do you have anything in mind? Sometimes there are technical/fabrication jobs available at places like Emcore or Intel, but I don't know about the requirements/availability. There is also health care, where you could be some kind of a tech. Good luck to you and your family!

Old 09-13-2010, 07:44 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,192,034 times
What I'm understanding is:

EXPERIENCE: Mechanic
JOB DESIRED: Not Mechanic

You'll get a lot more useful info on this forum if you say what kind of work you would be interested in.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:25 AM

What i have in mind is something i can work with people and my hands. basically i dont want to be stuck behind a desk or a phone.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:40 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,480,644 times
Thanks for your service!

What have you been doing in the Army? Your military experience/job skills might translate into a variety of possible jobs locally. For example, were you in any sort of command or leadership position - this might help land some sort of management job here.

You might also check out these websites - Employment - City of Albuquerque, Heroes Hiring Heroes and https://www.jobs.state.nm.us/.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:10 AM

462 posts, read 1,009,935 times
Hi! and welcome to New Mexico!!! I am married to Army retired and have had a # of years working at a major Army post helping people find federal jobs. If I was getting out now, I would look on USAJOBS - The Federal Government's Official Jobs Site as well as the Army personnel services website. I would also start taking the Albuquerque newspaper just to know what's going on. I would sign on with the state employment services. I'm sure you will have veteran status which will assist you with a leg up on federal jobs in Albuquerque. I would sign up rapidly with the VA for any disability you might receive if applicable. My husband found that federal government employment was perfect as he was quite familiar with it, being in the Army for over 20 years. Since you are familiar with government structure, I'd look for any job (focusing on government structures such as City/State/Fed jobs, etc.) you felt you had the skills/educ to go for.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northanna_2001 View Post
Hi! and welcome to New Mexico!!! I am married to Army retired and have had a # of years working at a major Army post helping people find federal jobs. If I was getting out now, I would look on USAJOBS - The Federal Government's Official Jobs Site as well as the Army personnel services website. I would also start taking the Albuquerque newspaper just to know what's going on. I would sign on with the state employment services. I'm sure you will have veteran status which will assist you with a leg up on federal jobs in Albuquerque. I would sign up rapidly with the VA for any disability you might receive if applicable. My husband found that federal government employment was perfect as he was quite familiar with it, being in the Army for over 20 years. Since you are familiar with government structure, I'd look for any job (focusing on government structures such as City/State/Fed jobs, etc.) you felt you had the skills/educ to go for.
Thank you Northanna_2001, This isnt my first time to Albuquerque and Kirtland, so i pretty much know that layout out the area. Im always looking into the Federal and state Government employment. Im also signed up for the local websites for employment to see what the trends are and companies that are always looking for people. I just want something to make me happy.

Thank you everyone, i was mainly looking at companies big or small that was hiring and i can look at their websites to see if something catches my eye.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:02 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,688,784 times
Good luck to you! There are also places like Lowe's or Home Depot, or maybe a car parts retailer since you are knowledgeable in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
View detailed profiles of: