Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 04:30 PM

5,056 posts, read 7,442,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Thanks for the posts. As for cold vs. warm, I suppose I was wondering whether people are out and more in the cooler or warmer halves of the year. For instance, in Phoenix, I would imagine winters are super, but summers would keep you inside a lot. In Durango, CO. or Taos, NM, you would be ready for the snow to end, come April or so, and sad to see summer go.
People in ABQ are out all times of the year. If summer afternoons are too hot to go running or play tennis, the early morning will be ideal, when it's 65-75. Still, I see people running on hot afternoons. I bike on hot afternoons and it doesn't bother me, even if it's 95+ degrees I feel the air moving and it's fine, I like it. In the dead of winter you'll have lots of sunny, enjoyable afternoons suitable for any kind of activity. Mornings may be too cold for some tastes, but everyone's tolerances are different. I see students in shorts and flip-flops when it's 25 degrees out. People were biking to work past my house during the unusual cold snap last winter when it got below zero. More power to 'em!

I guess anybody can use the weather as an excuse to not go out and play, whether it's too hot, too cold, or too windy, but there is a word for those people. This is one of the things that makes ABQ so great, in my opinion, is the ability to be active outdoors year-round, but still have four seasons. It's the dryness that makes it possible, and daily temperature variations that make summer mornings delightful even if afternoons get hot, and winter afternoons comfortable when mornings are too cold.

We are a happy medium between the hotter Phoenix and the colder Taos or Durango.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 10:40 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,581,379 times
I was visiting Albequerque some years ago, and went for a drive to explore the outer edges. It started raining, then poured down so hard I had to pull over. The road started melting under my car, it was very scary. That road became a red river of mud within minutes. I just sat there and waited for it to stop, hoping to God, my car wouldn't start floating. It didn't last very long, but scared me to death.
I do remember the fabulous sunsets.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:11 AM

1,568 posts, read 4,428,716 times
Been waiting more than a year for a monsoon storm. Finally got one a few days ago.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:05 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,779,878 times
Great pick!

I love a good cloudburst!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque