Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What will be APD's new police cruiser sedan?
Ford Taurus-based Police Interceptor 0 0%
Chevrolet Caprice 1 25.00%
Dodge Charger 3 75.00%
Carbon Motors E7 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 01:06 PM

7,328 posts, read 12,373,202 times

Advertisements

APD has been buying the Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor for many years as their standard police cruiser sedan. However, with the CVPI going out of production, I think I should make a poll on what do you think will be APD's new standard police cruiser sedan.

The options include the Ford Taurus-based Police Interceptor, the new Chevrolet Caprice, the Dodge Charger, and the Carbon Motors E7.

My bet would be the Caprice, as it is RWD, and APD already has a contract with GM for their police cruiser SUVs (the Chevrolet Suburban), so I don't think it would be that hard to extend it to regular sedans, also APD has some Chevrolet Impalas for the Police Service Aides.

The new Taurus-based Police Interceptor will be offered either in FWD or AWD. While AWD sounds interesting, it probably would cost more to maintain.

The Dodge Charger might be an interesting option especially with the Hemi V8 engine, however, the Charger has been criticized for its lack of interior room.

The Carbon Motors E7 seems to be the most ambitious option since it was designed for police use from the ground up, but is probably also the most expensive option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 01:27 PM

1,633 posts, read 3,746,281 times
Funny you should mention this. I was having a conversation with my buddy in Omaha, he is a cop and drives a new Charger, doesn't stop raving about it.

On my way to work this morning I stop at Starbucks, parked next to me is a new white Charger with plain black steel rims and a spotlight on the drivers side, didn't see the driver (few other stores around) and I was wondering if it was a new Police Car. That is my vote.

Old 09-29-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berncohomes View Post
Funny you should mention this. I was having a conversation with my buddy in Omaha, he is a cop and drives a new Charger, doesn't stop raving about it.

On my way to work this morning I stop at Starbucks, parked next to me is a new white Charger with plain black steel rims and a spotlight on the drivers side, didn't see the driver (few other stores around) and I was wondering if it was a new Police Car. That is my vote.
Perhaps it could have been a demo which Chrysler is allowing APD to test for a potential future order.

Old 09-29-2010, 03:59 PM

Perhaps it could have been.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:51 PM
JBM

567 posts, read 1,100,132 times
I don't like the chargers... Because whenever I see a regular charger, I think they're with the sheriffs department and I get all paranoid.

Old 09-30-2010, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM View Post
I don't like the chargers... Because whenever I see a regular charger, I think they're with the sheriffs department and I get all paranoid.
I've personally never seen a Bernalillo County Sherrif Charger, only the Crown Vic. However, I could have simply not noticed any.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:15 AM

Who said he/she was in Bernalillo?

Old 09-30-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berncohomes View Post
Who said he/she was in Bernalillo?
Well, this is an Albuquerque area forum. I never seen a Sandoval County Sherrif Charger either, most of their fleet is Ford Expedition SUVs. Perhaps the user was referring either to the Valencia County or Torrance County Sherrif.

Old 09-30-2010, 03:08 PM

366 posts, read 1,248,739 times
I spotted an unmarked charger on I-25. It had the spotlight and if you looked really close, you could see the red and blue lights behind the rear windshield.

It's too bad the crown vic is going out of production. No one under 80 bought one. So it made it very easy to pick out unmarked cop cars on the highway.

Old 09-30-2010, 03:10 PM
JBM

567 posts, read 1,100,132 times
Yeah, I don't know if the ABQ area has them or not, but I'm still getting used to living here full time. They use them in Roosevelt, Chavez, and Curry counties, so... I guess that's still programmed into me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque