Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 04:10 PM

141 posts, read 467,049 times

Advertisements

I agree with Xpat, riding bike is definitely the best option and what better way to burn off all those yummy Krispy Kreme donuts you will inevitably eat!

I ride my bike to the Balloon Fiesta every year. It gets pretty darn cold in the morning after you've stopped riding, but it's worth it 100% when you're passing the car traffic and people walking slowly on foot.

If you can't bike from your house because it's too far, there are a couple of options where to park your car so you can bike the rest of the way on the North Diversion Bike Trail. Both options are a less than 3 mile easy, flat bike ride and the North Diversion Trail leads right to the FREE bike valet on the south side of the field.
  • Park your car somewhere in the Journal Center business area. The entrance to the North Diversion Trail in the Journal Center is near the corner of Masthead St (street sign actually says Bartlett St) and Rutledge Rd right by the Heritage Home Healthcare building.
  • Park your car off the Paseo Frontage road on the dirt lot (corner of El Pueblo Rd NE and Las Lomitas Dr NE). North Diversion Bike Trail is literally right beside this dirt area.

I have yet to hear a good experience about the Park 'n Ride shuttles.... seems like everyone always misses the events by waiting for these shuttles. It's a good theory, but just never runs smoothly. If you can't bike, I recommend driving and suffering through traffic so you don't miss the early events.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 05:32 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,793,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRandi View Post
I have yet to hear a good experience about the Park 'n Ride shuttles....
Well, there have been good experiences in the past, and they have been posted... But yes there have been problems also.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:09 PM

72 posts, read 322,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRandi View Post
  • Park your car somewhere in the Journal Center business area. The entrance to the North Diversion Trail in the Journal Center is near the corner of Masthead St (street sign actually says Bartlett St) and Rutledge Rd right by the Heritage Home Healthcare building.
I've done this now twice so far for this fiesta for early mornings and it works well, but a couple of things.

First, as far as I could see, all the streets anywhere near the entrance to the bike trail on Rutledge are posted as "No Parking" (I checked beforehand during daylight hours). That leaves the parking lots on private property, which might not be cool with the owners. I ended up parking in the lot for the large food court on Jefferson (the one with the Starbucks) right under one of the lots lights. There were always at least some cars there and it didn't look like anyone would mind.

Second, it's a dark route. Real dark. Some sort of bike or helmet light is absolutely necessary.

But the free bike valet is great and getting in and out is ridiculously easy. With the valet you don't need a lock and can leave your helmet with the bike.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:56 PM

141 posts, read 467,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherHand View Post

First, as far as I could see, all the streets anywhere near the entrance to the bike trail on Rutledge are posted as "No Parking" (I checked beforehand during daylight hours).

Second, it's a dark route. Real dark. Some sort of bike or helmet light is absolutely necessary.
Good points! Having a light is helpful in the morning if you are coming before Dawn Patrol or late at night. It starts to get light by 6:30 -7:00. And a bike bell wouldn't hurt either to alert walkers on the trail, but a simple "holler" will work, too.

And yes, a lot of the businesses are supposedly private property and you can't park on streets either, so you have to watch where you park. I work in a building right by the bicycle path so I know from personal experience that most businesses will not care, especially if it's the weekend. Don't park in the US Forestry parking lot.... they might care haha!

Your idea of parking at the Starbucks is a good one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque