Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 06:06 PM

555 posts, read 863,929 times

Advertisements

So Im thinking about moving to ABQ this December when my lease here is up, but i have a few questions. Hopefully, I wont be beaten with reeds for asking the same questions as others have. I am 31 years old, single, and with no kids and i make a good living working from home. I will be working from home if i move as well. I do not have any friends or family out there, so i am not really obligated to live in a certain area.
Im looking to spend around 750/month

I would like to live in an area with a 'social' scene (bars,nightclubs etc) that is within walking distance. From what ive read Nob Hill/downtown is the best area for this?

Are there any bike trails in the downtown area to get a good workout? What about parks, outdoor areas nearby?

I have a jeep and i LOVE to go offroading every weekend. Jeeping and photography occupy most of my free time on the weeekends. Is the area around ABQ good for offroading?

As far as photography, i love photographing old mining town and old rusty 'junk' etc, plants, animals, rock formations etc. Here in the Phoenix area there are millions of places to drive to that i love to shoot and explore. What can i expect in ABQ?

Im planning on driving up next month to spend a weekend and check things out. Thanks for your help!

Cheers

E
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 06:08 PM

I forgot to mention that I used to live in El Paso and i would spend every weekend in southern NM exploring. I loved it, but i had to move back to chicago due to job reasons.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:02 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,195,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petroglyphin View Post
I would like to live in an area with a 'social' scene (bars,nightclubs etc) that is within walking distance. From what ive read Nob Hill/downtown is the best area for this?
Yes.

Quote:
Are there any bike trails in the downtown area to get a good workout? What about parks, outdoor areas nearby?
Not really trails. Certain streets have an 18mph speed limit are designated as a "bike boulevard" for easy E-W travel in those neighborhoods. There are a few trails that can be gotten to from those neighborhoods.

Quote:
I have a jeep and i LOVE to go offroading every weekend. Jeeping and photography occupy most of my free time on the weeekends. Is the area around ABQ good for offroading?
You're joking, right? Of course. Maybe not as much mud if you like mud.

Quote:
As far as photography, i love photographing old mining town and old rusty 'junk' etc, plants, animals, rock formations etc. Here in the Phoenix area there are millions of places to drive to that i love to shoot and explore. What can i expect in ABQ?
Expect similar, though maybe half as many per square mile. The town of Madrid is good for some of that; many of the ghost towns, ruins, etc. tend to be from much older than the railroad era, so it's a different kind of old. Phoenix doesn't come close to Albuquerque when it comes to pre-railroad history.

Quote:
Im planning on driving up next month to spend a weekend and check things out. Thanks for your help!
Have fun visiting!

Old 07-17-2012, 07:05 PM

1,993 posts, read 4,067,867 times
The downtown area has easy access to the bosque trail which i believe is 16 miles long.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:29 PM

Thanks, guys. What about price range for a 1X1 apartment in the area?

Old 07-17-2012, 07:36 PM

1,993 posts, read 4,067,867 times
You should be able to find something for that amount.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:03 PM

In other news, what is the main difference i can expect between living in the Phoenix metro and ABQ? The cooler weather will be a welcoming change.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:07 PM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,311,484 times
Quote:
thanks, guys. What about price range for a 1x1 apartment in the area?
$600-$800

Old 07-17-2012, 11:15 PM

366 posts, read 870,268 times
Quote:
In other news, what is the main difference i can expect between living in the Phoenix metro and ABQ? The cooler weather will be a welcoming change.
This is a complicated question that will get you a lot of different answers. It is probably easier to point you to some other threads than attempt to rehash this one:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...e-phoenix.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/albuq...bq-people.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/albuq...g-phx-abq.html

Old 07-17-2012, 11:21 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,629,763 times
Quote:
Less shopping. Lots less shopping.

But the people and the weather make up for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque