Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2011, 10:36 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,476,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
Need to get educated in what your rights really are before they are all taken away from you.
If I drive stupidly and don't obey the law I deserve to have my license taken away.

I don't really care who says driving is a right, I don't think that's correct. When the government issues you a drivers license I believe that comes with the implicit agreement that you'll obey all traffic laws. if you don't and the government decides you shouldn't have a drivers license, that's appropriate and proper.

Do you really want everyone driving around regardless of whether they feel the need to obey the traffic laws? In my view that's idiotic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 10:12 AM

4,468 posts, read 8,001,150 times
Default RE; the red light's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
That is being done, or already has been done. That was one of the findings noted in the UNM study which Mayor Berry was concerned about.

Rich
I WAS in ABQ yesterday, AND I did notice that the Yellow lights where quite short. I entered a intersection just as the yellow came on, and wowthe yellow turned to RED just as I was exiting the intersection when I turned left.

I also saw 4 cars go thru a very RED light at was at a fast rate

If someone had been traveling at a 90deg course as the light turned green for them, it could of been a tragic situation.

I have driven professionally as a truck driver, firefighter/EMT and been trained very well, but all the training in the world doesn't help in some situations.

There are some people out there with many cites that have never paid.
Seem's that I thought if you had outstanding tickets your license would not be renewed. However, some folk's have a license issued for 8 years. Guess the ticket would fall off by then.
Answer; well more motor officers like in the old days in some cities; they were on almost every corner just waiting for some dupe to run the red

Drive safe, and watch out...

Old 02-23-2011, 03:26 PM

112 posts, read 207,511 times
I was caught, not by one of the red light cameras at an intersection, but by one of the mobile vans that was placed at a school zone. Going 20 at a 15, I was steaming mad. But regardless of that, I agree with the program. I find myself slowing down at intersections now, at least at the ones with the cameras, rather than just gunning it like I used to do.

Old 02-23-2011, 03:32 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,179,640 times
Here in Fort Worth, we have the accursed moneymakers too. The closest one to my home has an incredibly short yellow light. I usually take side streets so I don't have to deal with it.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:15 PM

366 posts, read 1,247,789 times
Personally, I think they were installed more for profit than for safety. They say there is a small but measurable decline in accidents, but even that may not be due to the cameras. New Mexico also began cracking down on drunk driving with checkpoints and a public service campaign a few years ago. Drunk driving fatalities were cut in half between 2004 and 2008. Getting those drivers off the road could have played a larger role in the decline than the cameras. Also, if they shortened the yellow light to increase revenue, they made the intersections more dangerous, not safer. I have noticed that certain yellow lights are ridiculously short.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:11 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,750,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomName958 View Post
Also, if they shortened the yellow light to increase revenue, they made the intersections more dangerous, not safer. I have noticed that certain yellow lights are ridiculously short.
Which intersections. You timed them? Did you read the UNM report? They verified all the yellow light times.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:10 AM

21 posts, read 37,926 times
I'm surprised to see people support the red light cameras considering it's all about revenue and not safety for the city. UNM's research showed that longer yellow lights reduce accidents, not red light cameras.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:16 PM
JBM

567 posts, read 1,098,251 times
I'm all for the Red Light Camera System. I'd go so far as saying that we should have them at most all light-controlled intersections in the State. I don't think it's entirely about revenue, but even if it was, what's the problem? They're giving a ticket to someone who BROKE THE LAW! It's not as if they hand a ticket to everyone who proceeds through the intersection. All in all, if you don't want the ticket, than simply go the speed limit, obey the light signals, and obey traffic police when they're present. Also, stay in your lane and what not.

A reduction in the number of injury causing and fatal T-Bone style wrecks at these intersections is the major reason why I support these cameras. I also do support them as a source of revenue for our cash-strapped City/State.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:00 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,750,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kissalvoe View Post
I'm surprised to see people support the red light cameras considering it's all about revenue and not safety for the city. UNM's research showed that longer yellow lights reduce accidents, not red light cameras.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ask the family and friends of these 762 people... Do you think in 2009 it's more or less than 762?
Quote:
NHTSA’s Fatality Analysis Reporting System (FARS) reports that red-light running crashes alone caused 762 deaths in 2008.
It's only 165,000:
Quote:
An estimated 165,000 people are injured annually by red-light runners.
REFERENCE FOR ABOVE HERE:
Red-Light Running - FHWA Safety Program

It's not all about revenue...

Accidents Down at Red-light Intersections
The Albuquerque Fire Department reports a 23% decrease in Level 1 trauma calls at red-light camera enforced intersections. The great news, with redlight violations being down by as much as 50-70% at the oldest red-light camera intersections; lives, money and time are being saved by this successful traffic initiative.
Results of Red Light Camera Program - City of Albuquerque

How many of these actual videos do you have to see to perhaps
realize there just might be a danger with red-light runners?

YouTube - Amazing Car Crash At Intersection

YouTube - Horrific Car Accident [T-Boned + Rollover]

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 04-09-2011 at 01:09 AM..

Old 04-09-2011, 10:55 AM

366 posts, read 1,247,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post

Ask the family and friends of these 762 people... Do you think in 2009 it's more or less than 762?
It's only 165,000:
REFERENCE FOR ABOVE HERE:
Red-Light Running - FHWA Safety Program

It's not all about revenue...

Accidents Down at Red-light Intersections
The Albuquerque Fire Department reports a 23% decrease in Level 1 trauma calls at red-light camera enforced intersections. The great news, with redlight violations being down by as much as 50-70% at the oldest red-light camera intersections; lives, money and time are being saved by this successful traffic initiative.
Results of Red Light Camera Program - City of Albuquerque

How many of these actual videos do you have to see to perhaps
realize there just might be a danger with red-light runners?

YouTube - Amazing Car Crash At Intersection

YouTube - Horrific Car Accident [T-Boned + Rollover]

Rich

If the information you just posted is what you base your opinion on, it's probably time to change your opinion. You're quoting the city's website, which isn't exactly an unbiased source. They're the ones making money off red light cameras.

What they fail to note is that while right-angle crashes are reduced, rear-end collisions are increased. The department of transportation studied 7 locations across the US and found that right-angle collisions were reduced by 379 accidents, while rear-end collisions increased by 375 accidents. They also found that while right-angle injuries decreased by 15.7%, rear-end injuries increased by 24%. So overall, intersections are no safer than they were before. If anything, they may be slightly more dangerous.

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/publications.../safety/05048/

And for what it's worth, it's just as easy to post rear-end accidents as right-angle accidents.

YouTube - Rear end collision

YouTube - Rear End Collision [Deadly Car Crash!]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque