Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 01:47 PM

9 posts, read 18,178 times

Advertisements

Hi All:

There is a strong possibility that my family and I will be relocating to the Albuquerque area next year due to my husband’s job. My main concern is finding a decent school for my kids to attend – as I have 1 child who has some minor learning disabilities. I’ve heard and read in the posts below that the ABQ schools aren’t great, however, there are some schools that are decent – mainly the schools that feed into Sandia and La Cueva High schools? Is this a fair assessment? My kids would attend elementary school. Which elementary schools are decent? But, also decent in relation to what – other ABQ schools, Rio Rancho, private schools, national public schools? We would be moving from the east coast where the public school system is outstanding and am worried that we would be taking a step back for our kids (but a step forward for my husband’s work).

I’m curious, if people had a choice, without restriction in terms of where they currently lived in NM or the cost (not sure how much a good private school is in the ABQ area), where would you send your elementary school kids? Not sure where we are going to live yet but schools will be a major factor for us so we're open to ABQ, Rio Rancho, other surrounding ABQ cities.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 03:27 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,916,341 times
Best Elementary Public: Double Eagle
Best Middle Public: Desert Ridge
Best High Public: La Cueva
Best High for Special Educaton: El Dorado

Good Privates:
Albuquerque Academy
St. Pius (Catholic)
Hope
Menaul

Old 07-05-2007, 04:15 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,916,341 times
Also, New Mexico is the only state with a lottery Scholarship. If your young-uns can manage to keep a 3.0 cumulative grade point average in High School, they will be granted free tuition to any New Mexico College or University (which includes 2 D1s, and a top nationally ranking Tech school.) Not too shabby, eh?

Old 07-07-2007, 04:29 AM

9 posts, read 18,178 times
Thanks for the info. So I can do more research, do you have any recommendations for private elementary schools? The private schools listed were all middle or high schools and my oldest would be entering 2nd grade if we moved to ABQ. Also, what about the schools just outside of ABQ like in the towns of Corrales, Placitas? I've heard these areas were really pretty and nice to live in. But, if you choose to live there, are you forced to put your kids in private school, i.e., since they don't technically live in ABQ and would not be part of the ABQ public school system? I'm trying to juggle housing costs with the potential of private school tuition - which hopefully won't be necessary.

Old 07-07-2007, 06:38 AM

1,566 posts, read 4,422,967 times
I live in Placitas and my friends who have kids are happy with the elementary school here.

Classes are small, teachers are competent, and state test scores are relatively high.

Old 07-08-2007, 02:12 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,180,690 times
To correct abqsunport, lottery scholarships are offered in Georgia, Tennessee, and a few other states, as well as NM.

Old 07-27-2007, 04:37 PM

1 posts, read 4,692 times
Default Albuquerque Area Public Schools

Hi We are looking at moving into the bernalillo, Rio Rancho, maybe even the sandia area and would really like to know about the schools in those areas. We have a 8th and a 1st grader, so the schools are very important on the list of considerations. Thanks for any info as I cant really seem to find much on the school topic for abq.

Old 07-28-2007, 12:06 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,486,875 times
Default start saving now

If academic achievement in the public schools is your top priority, you are definately moving to the wrong place. Albuquerque schools (and NM as a whole) typically rank amongst the bottom four or five in national standards.

There are of course exceptions, as in most places there are always some schools that score better than others. At the high school level, only La Cueva HS and to a lesser extent Sandia HS score well, while schools like Valley and Rio Grande scrape along the bottom of the barrel.

The elementary and mid schools are highly variable, with the primary determining factor (as in all schools, no matter the state) being the income and education level of the parents. This subject has been discussed here on this forum ad-naseum, check the archive of back threads.

With education as in most things, you get what you pay for. In this case, it means private schools.

Old 07-28-2007, 09:53 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,180,690 times
A visit to the top link on google yields Albuquerque ranked 8th in midsized cities for public school system.

Perhaps their criteria are different, but I have yet to see a reference for everyone's low opinion of Albuquerque schools.

Almost the entire metro area is part of one school system, which means you'll see a degree of uniformity where you might not in other areas. If your kid goes to a school in a neighborhood full of undocumented non-English-speakers versus a well-to-do neighborhood, it is probably reasonable to expect the educational standards will differ.

There are a number of web references which will grade each individual school in this country. I are a A P S hie scool gradeate.

Old 07-28-2007, 09:00 PM

298 posts, read 1,149,204 times
I'd like to know much violence is in the schools. I come from an inner-city district where I have been assaulted, seen a zillion fights, and have been cussed out on a regular basis. Are some of the Albuquerque schools that rough? I don't mind teaching students who are low-income or unmotivated, but I am tired of the violence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque