Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 03:09 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,023,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmguy
For instance, in that field, on a 100 degree sunny day,
you have a piece of wood, a rock, and a piece of metal.
... they are the same temperature, ...
There's more to it than that.

On that day, if all three items are in the shade, then they are
all at the same 100 degrees. However, as we all know, asphalt, for
instance, out in the open sun might be sitting at 120-130 deg or so.

My contention is that the mulch, being darker than the rock will
actually be hotter if it is dry than the lighter rock. It still might feel
cooler for the reasons you put out ( and I also put out in an earlier post ).

This thread should be renamed "Landscaping rocks/gravel for nerds."

The nerdity level has really shot up. Naturally, I'm for it, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 08:39 AM

372 posts, read 708,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
There's more to it than that.

On that day, if all three items are in the shade, then they are
all at the same 100 degrees. However, as we all know, asphalt, for
instance, out in the open sun might be sitting at 120-130 deg or so.

My contention is that the mulch, being darker than the rock will
actually be hotter if it is dry than the lighter rock. It still might feel
cooler for the reasons you put out ( and I also put out in an earlier post ).

This thread should be renamed "Landscaping rocks/gravel for nerds."

The nerdity level has really shot up. Naturally, I'm for it, of course.
In an earlier post, you were referring to the objects being out during a sunny day so naturally I am getting a little confused trying to follow your argument. You also mentioned that more water goes to your plants when they are surrounded by rock. I agree that the mulch will absorb water, but by doing so, it is helping to keep the plant's roots cooler which will help it retain moisture.

I do agree that the nerdity level has gone up, and I would also like others to share their input...

Old 09-16-2011, 08:52 AM

1 posts, read 1,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdog View Post
Anyone have recommendations where to get it and not get ripped off? I've got a lot of dirt to cover (I think my back wall is about 60 ft long, so maybe 600 sq feet), so we're talking by the scoop-full, but I don't know what a reasonable price is, or how much a scoop covers - I may have to save up!

I know that prices vary according to the size/quality of the rock, but if anyone has ballpark figures, they would be much appreciated. I'm looking for bigger than a marble/smaller than an egg size. Around Rio Rancho would be best, but I've got a truck, I can haul from anywhere for a good deal.

We live in Corrales Heights and have a back yard full of rocks we want to get rid of. Yours fee... you haul.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:23 AM

265 posts, read 804,098 times
We've just purchased 6 tons of gravel and I was *amazed* at how small the pile looks. I figured it would be the size of two elephants, right? Wrong! It's smaller than my car. Glad I had someone else make the estimate, I would never have dreamed that the small area around our house perimeter would require so many tons to cover.

Thanks to the recommendations here we went with JPR Gravel and are very pleased. Their delivery fee was very reasonable considering we're over here in the East Mountains ($85). We originally got a quote from a closer place in Edgewood, but when we went back to finalize the purchase the price suddenly jumped by an additional $150, and their delivery charge was $91 from only 6 miles away - no thank you!

Both gravel places told us that the most popular color right now is "Santa Fe Brown" - which sounds like a different sort of product altogether, or is that just me? - but is an attractive blend of natural earth tones.

We wanted a gravel size big enough to not stick in the treads of your boots and track into the house, but small enough that the dogs wouldn't want to pick them up and carry them into the house. (Two of our dogs like to carry rocks around, I have no idea why.) We settled on the 3/4" grade, and both suppliers told us that we *must* use landscape fabric with that size gravel, so we did.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:46 AM

332 posts, read 1,115,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrshopper View Post
We live in Corrales Heights and have a back yard full of rocks we want to get rid of. Yours fee... you haul.
Yeah, I've realized that when I said I'd haul, people thought I meant I'd also dig. I really only meant I'd drive the truck. . .

Anyway, we didn't get around to this this year, had a family emergency that required us to be on the East Coast for most of it. Maybe I'll feel inspired during the winter. . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque