Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2010, 06:50 PM

13 posts, read 38,077 times

Advertisements

Hi Albuquerque listeros!

What's it like to live in the area(s) between I-25 and the Rio Grande? I'm considering areas such as Ranchos de Albuquerque, Los Griegos, the Near North Valley (but am very much open to additional suggestions).

I've been looking at the neighborhoods such as NE Heights, Sandia Ridge, and Uptown. And while certainly fine places, I haven't yet found anything that feels really good. I crave trees and, obviously, ABQ isn't exactly famous for its shady boulevards. About the closest I've seen would be some of the neighborhoods around Summit Park or Ridgecrest.

-- If I were to move to the North Valley area, what would my commute to UNM be like? (How long would it take? Is it tough traffic?)
-- And how about safety issues? (like break-ins and robbery?)

Thanks for your comments!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 07:36 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,749,651 times
That's maybe 20% of the city in total and includes everything from cheap car repair shops
(Yes, they are in Los Ranchos!!!), to multi-million dollar homes (also in Los Ranchos).

It helps to be a LOT more specific about what your needs and limits are.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:30 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,182,108 times
North valley really does encompass quite a bit. A broad generalization: The closer you are to UNM in the North Valley (S of Montaño), the shadier the neighborhood (and not in a tree kind of way).

I would guess a disproportionately large amount of Albuquerque metro's crime is non-random; be nice and don't engage in risky behavior (bars, drugs, dealing) and your risk of being a victim drops significantly.

For UNM I'd give a serious look to the near south valley, which has a range of nice and not-so-nice neighborhoods, but is in many ways comparable to the north, particularly when it comes to trees.

If you're buying, also consider the country club area; I'd wager it's the greenest and shadiest part of town.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:45 PM

923 posts, read 2,419,348 times
Your commute would not be bad. Look at the borders of Rio Grande on the West, 4th street on the east, Tramway on the North and Paseo del Norte on the south. You would be close to I-25 which is a straight shot to UNM. 10 to 15 minute commute.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:14 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,079,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo
Your commute would not be bad.
10 to 15 minute commute.
Well, ....

... there IS that bit about parking ...

Figure 30 minutes from the car to your class.

Anyone moving into town to go to UNM who purposely lands
in a place that is not on a convenient bus line, easy biking
or walking has a screw loose, IMO. ( possibly more than one )

Old 06-04-2010, 01:33 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,749,651 times
Mortimer's time estimate is far more realistic. We take Continuing Ed (Geezer) classes
at UNM's Geezer campus next to the I-25 and I-40 intersection (known locally as
The Big I). We live on the Westside just off the northern end of Unser and we usually
make it to classes in about a half-hour, but that is in non-rush-hour and we are
able to use an almost ideal commuting path.. Unser to I-40 to Carlisle / Indian School and
then Indian School to University Blvd.

The chances of a full time student with varying class schedules getting from much of
the North Valley to the main UNM campus (not as convenient as the Geezer Campus)
and then to classrooms in a half-hour RELIABLY are really poor...

Old 06-04-2010, 10:20 PM

923 posts, read 2,419,348 times
I worked at UNM as part of my job for three years ending in the spring of '08 and therefore did the commute from the west side often (not daily but at least twice a week). It took me 40 minutes from the time I left my house until I was in my office. I didn't travel during heavy traffic times though. A few weeks ago I drove to UNM for a special celebration in the new college of Education building. I clocked my time and miles from Volcano Vista HS. It was 12 miles total and took 20 minutes to get there and 10 minutes to park and walk to the building.

As part of my job I drove from school to school. One of the schools on my list was Valley HS. Sometimes I'd plan my UNM visit after my visits at Valley HS which is on 12th & Candelaria. It took 10 minutes to get to campus and 10 minutes to park & walk to my office.

This was around 2:00pm. Double the time if you are going first thing in the morning.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:55 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,079,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo
Double the time if you are going first thing in the morning.
If you are getting there at 7 am or before, it would also be easy.

Many people like to go early and do breakfast/coffe somewhere first.
You have dozens of options for that - including catching a Rapid Ride
bus (*) all the way to Carlisle where you can enjoy a Nob Hill morning.

If your definition of "first thing in the morning" is about 9 am, prepare
to be frustrated.

(*) The bus picks up//drops off right in front of the University and
.... runs non-stop to Nob Hill every ten minutes or so. The walk
.... is also an easy and pleasant one-mile from Yale to Carlisle.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:27 AM

110 posts, read 366,032 times
First, you wouldn't want to be any closer to downtown than Griegos. That is, if you're looking for quiet, simple street. Stay between Rio Grande and 2nd St until north of Montano (Montgomery).

Being within close proximity to 2nd St, 4th St. or Edith, your commute would be approx. 15 minutes if you stay away from the freeway, Paseo del Norte or Montgomery. I've driven this city millions of times and used to have a shop in the north valley on 4th St. I made deliveries farther away that UNM and made the trips in 15 minutes, simply because I knew which routes to stick to.

2nd St, 4th St or Edith will get you straight to Lomas in no time, then east on Lomas to UNM from the Lomas side.

You would love Guadalupe Trail.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:58 PM

13 posts, read 25,640 times
red46 is pretty accurate with those times. You might even want to look at some places in the South Valley. I live in Pajarito and I'm 15 minutes to UNM. I don't have any recomendations for neighborhoods, you really have to go out and look at the block and talk to the neighbors. In the valley good vs bad can change block to block.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque