Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 11:31 AM

25 posts, read 33,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat View Post
Relocating with a back up plan of homelessness because a place is ideal for being homeless is perhaps the dumbest sentiment I've heard expressed on City-Data.
Some people have no other option. Ill tell you what though you will never be happy being homeless its quite depressing, but what I'm saying is if you ever really need any help you'll find it here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 01:34 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,372,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainbread505 View Post
you can easily survuve out here if your homeless. The toughest thing you'll encounter out here is the winter. You'll need shelter for most of the winter but spring isn't too bad summer are hot but nice to sleep in at night and fall is my favorite season here perfect ten. Abq will feed u clothe u bathe u whatever ur in need of abq will do it for u.
Sounds like someone is enjoying a life of living on what the city can give them. Whatever happened to wanting to EARN your way. No one gets to start at the top.

Of course, one can always panhandle in a parking lot with a child in a stroller and say they need money for a motel room. Had a guy approach us with that little scheme one time.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:40 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,214,729 times
The pioneers didn't have a chance to visit where they were going before they moved in (that's why they are called pioneers). It seems like a no-brainer to me to visit a place for a few days before you move there, unless you just like to gamble (or don't have much to move).

Old 06-21-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
Sounds like someone is enjoying a life of living on what the city can give them. Whatever happened to wanting to EARN your way. No one gets to start at the top.

Of course, one can always panhandle in a parking lot with a child in a stroller and say they need money for a motel room. Had a guy approach us with that little scheme one time.
Your assumptions are just plain ignorant. You don't know my situation. I don't panhandle or take advantage of the homeless shelters or daily hot meals. Yes I don't have a job but I'm working on it, sometimes it gets hard working 35 hours a week(no overtime of course) at 7.50 an hour washing dishes cleaning table or cars. I donate plasma and that's how I survive but yeah when I'm broke and hungry what do you think I have to do. EAT. When I feel dirty I wanna shower and brush my teeth and wear clean socks and underwear. I like to drink clean water. I'm a simple guy trust me...... All I have is one question for you.... have you ever tried sleeping COLD and HUNGRY?

Old 06-21-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Your assumptions are just plain ignorant. You don't know my situation. I don't panhandle or take advantage of the homeless shelters or daily hot meals. Yes I don't have a job but I'm working on it, sometimes it gets hard working 35 hours a week(no overtime of course) at 7.50 an hour washing dishes cleaning table or cars. I donate plasma and that's how I survive but yeah when I'm broke and hungry what do you think I have to do. EAT. When I feel dirty I wanna shower and brush my teeth and wear clean socks and underwear. I like to drink clean water. I'm a simple guy trust me...... All I have is one question for you.... have you ever tried sleeping COLD and HUNGRY?
Reading what you posted is basically the same as saying "come on out to NM, the state will take care of you". Perhaps that is not what you meant, but it is what it sounded like to me.

Don't be mad at me because you're washing dishes. You made that choice, not I.

To tell someone to come out and be homeless and you'll be taken care of, is the same thing, (at least to me) as working the welfare system.

I guess I am not very clear on exactly what you do. You say one thing in one sentence, then a total contradiction in the next.

No, I've never tried sleeping cold and hungry. Made it a mission in my life to never have to do that, and hopefully never will have to, as my future is well planned and secure. Something I learned years ago at a very young age.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:58 PM

Yes come on out the city will feed you if you're hungry(what more do you need?) the rest is up to you . And can I ask you one thing "alison" ? Where do you work?

Old 06-21-2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Yes come on out the city will feed you if you're hungry(what more do you need?) the rest is up to you . And can I ask you one thing "alison" ? Where do you work?
I work at home. Probably the hardest job there is.....cook, dishwasher, housemaid, mom, grandmom, zoo keeper, ect ect. Anything else you want to know?

I've been married for 37 yrs so guess I do know a few things about life. I've been fortunate that I do not have to work; although I have had some jobs in my life. I prefer to do volunteer work, its rewarding.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:35 AM

=)

Old 06-22-2011, 11:49 AM

350 posts, read 769,621 times
Quote:
Why are you screwing around arguing on City-Data? Get your sh** together. I've held small, hourly jobs in order to survive - sometimes for years at a time, because that was what it took to take care of myself. If you were truly desperate with lots of experience "sleeping cold and hungry" you wouldn't be complaining about "no overtime."

Old 06-22-2011, 02:00 PM

1,732 posts, read 4,454,216 times
I'm not sure why this thread drifted as far as it did.

To get back on track, yes ABQ has a myriad of opportunities for homeless and low income citizens to find services including meals, counseling, etc. most of which they provide through grants to various non-profits ( ex. St. Martin's, Catholic Charities, Barrett House, etc. ) to use to provide people with specific services.

There is nothing wrong with someone who happens to be down on their luck for a period of time to take advantage of and use these programs. That's why they are there.

But to have an attitude of "What the heck, if I cannot make it, I'll just become homeless" is irresponsible. We all owe it to ourselves and others to try and be productive members of society and to do what we can to provide for ourselves if we can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque