Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2011, 07:14 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,779,465 times

Advertisements

Skunks... One of my dogs got skunked yesterday.... A major pain (and smell)...

Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 02:29 AM

462 posts, read 1,009,408 times
Default Yes, Skunks

Dh and I were called by real estate to come and check over new house; so we thought ... well, why don't we just drive out and spend the night in Moriarity at a hotel the night before. It was the middle of the night when my dog was whimpering in my ear to go outside; so I woke up dh and told him that I had just taken out dog two hours ago and it was his turn. Dh took dog out in front of hotel and ran right into a skunk wherein, dh and dog got direct hit (both). Dh came in to wake me up and tell me that he was going to a Walmart in Edgewood to get tomato juice for dog and him. I was to wait outside with dog until dh returned (dh got very lost as he's unfamiliar with the area) so I waited over an hour for him to return. He finally returned and said that he had spotted a hose at the side of the hotel that he and Bear could use in addition to the 3 large containers of tomato juice. After dh and dog were doused liberally with V8, there was no water faucet to be found outside of the hotel at 3:00 am. So dh, dog and I went into hotel room where we attempted to get the smell off of them. They were quite a hit with the front desk clerk as well as the manager. Our dog is just now starting to smell normal (and this was over four weeks ago). I bet the hotel had a heck of a time getting the horrible skunk smell out of that room! Don't ever want that to happen again.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:44 AM

We have had our dogs sprayed before.

1. Tomato juice only helps a little bit, it mostly turns light colored dogs orange. It seems to work because at high doses of skunk spray the human nose quits smelling the odor (olfactory fatigue). When this happens, the odor of tomato juice can easily be detected. Another person coming on the scene at this point will readily confirm that the skunk spray has not been neutralized by the tomato juice.
Reference: http://chemeducator.org/sbibs/s00040...s/420044ww.pdf

2. The Hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and dish washing solution works well if you use it quickly (the skunk spray soaks into the dog's fur, so whatever you do needs to be done quickly). Paul Krebaum, a chemist, invented the formula for de-skunking a dog. The problem with Paul Krebaum's excellent formula is that hydrogen peroxide goes bad and you have to mix the solution at that time. All our skunk sprays have occurred at about 5:00 am, not a time where I am alert and able to gather up the supplies, bucket etc.

Here is his site, good info: The Skunk Remedy Homepage

3. The solution we are now using is Nature's Miracle Skunk Odor Remover which can be found at most pet supply places. Here is one example: Nature's Miracle Skunk Odor Remover at PETCO It works. It works well. It works as advertised. It may seem expensive at first, but it really is less expensive in the long run... On our previous dog spraying, we bought this product and put it away for emergencies...

Rich

Old 09-22-2011, 11:40 PM

462 posts, read 1,009,408 times
Default Skunk Odor

Thanks Rich.... Our problem was that we didn't know about all of those solutions (and didn't think to look on the laptop). So that terrible smell got absorbed into LBear's thick, glossy black hair. Fortunately, at this point in time... it has faded alot and almost disappeared. I so hope and pray that the E Mountains are not big with skunks. I do know that our local area in Clovis has them. We're not early risers anymore so we don't see them. However, our next door neighbor (Air Force guy) got sprayed royally along with his two dogs one early morning. We laughed and laughed until it happened to us. We now think that maybe the motel in Moriarity was hexed so we won't go there again. Ha!

Old 09-23-2011, 07:46 PM

That was our problem on our first dog got skunked episode... Did not know what to do, what do you? Who do you call at 4:00 or 5:00 am? etc...

One groomer guaranteed they could get the smell off of Tucker for x dollars more, it did not work, they did not charge us...

Rich

Old 09-23-2011, 08:16 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,292,455 times
And do all you can to encourage the growth of the owl population ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque