Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 11:39 PM

17,919 posts, read 24,143,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeFriendly View Post
I've never been anywhere with the amount of mixed use trails as here. I don't get how it isn't rated at the top of the Bike Friendly lists.
Goatheads are an automatic 50 point penalty. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 09:28 AM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,283,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Goatheads are an automatic 50 point penalty. :-)
go tubeless, goatheads become irrelevant.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:38 PM

56 posts, read 103,646 times
I have to say it. WTF is a goathead? I've seen this mentioned a couple of times. Two weeks ago I got disgusted with changing tubes and I bought some kevlar lined tires. Are these mysterious goatheads worse than crushed glass?

The FUD over methlabs and crime didn't scare me but these goatheads are starting to make me very nervous.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:47 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,459,001 times
Tribulus terrestris We also call them puncture vines. They are stickers which puncture a lot of items. Had one in my heel a few nights ago (I normally do not go bare footed because of them). Kids bring them in wearing flip-flops etc, they stick in carpets then you step on them...

Probably everything you might want to know about them here: Tribulus terrestris - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Learn to identify the low lying vines. Dogs get them at times....

Rich

Old 09-07-2011, 09:48 PM

Pretty plant. Those stickers aren't so nice looking. According to what I'm finding online, these things will tear through my kevlar lined continentals. Is this an issue riding on pavement too or just for mountain bikers? I only ride streets and paved trails.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:02 PM

508 posts, read 1,081,080 times
^Goatheads are definitely an issue for all bicyclists in NM, unfortunately.

Continentals are about the best tire you can have around here, but get thee to a bike shop and get "slime" put in your tires (they'll know what you mean), as well as thicker, puncture resistant tubes. That'll help keep you from getting a flat every 10 miles.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:49 AM

17,919 posts, read 24,143,555 times
Quote:
Pretty plant. Those stickers aren't so nice looking. According to what I'm finding online, these things will tear through my kevlar lined continentals. Is this an issue riding on pavement too or just for mountain bikers? I only ride streets and paved trails.
They are mainly a problem in paved areas since they are an invasion species (i.e. they came with people). You get more than a few yards from civilization and there are no goatheads.

They are worst along the bike paths. They root just off the asphalt and the send their goathead laden vines right onto the path like a policeman's spike strip.

As far as pizza goes, Dion's is nothing special in my opinion. Better than the national chains, but its no Giovanni's. Nor as good as Saggio's. I'd even have Sbarro before Dion's.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:29 AM
N8!

Go tubeless and you'll never think about goatheads again:

Stan's No Tubes Test - YouTube

Also, Saggio's is tops in teh Burque.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:04 PM

I wasn't aware you could get tubeless for road bikes. I need to do some research. Guessing they'll be even more $$$ than my already expensive Kevlar Continentals I just got mounted two weeks ago.

Old 09-08-2011, 12:17 PM
N8!

Quote:
I wasn't aware you could get tubeless for road bikes. I need to do some research. Guessing they'll be even more $$$ than my already expensive Kevlar Continentals I just got mounted two weeks ago.
I was just reading on the Stans site that they don't recommend anything other than tape and a valve stem for road tubeless applications. You don't need the special rim strips that are used to convert most MTB rims. The road tubeless tire beads are tight enough you don't need the strip to hold the bead in place. Also according to Stans, almost any old road rim will work, the key is the tire - it must be a tire designed for tubless use because of the pressures etc. Of course, rims with deep center troughs work better as it's easier to get the tire mounted in the first place. Some rims have flat center sections (Ksyriums or other Mavic rims that don't have center trough, DT Swiss R1.1s, etc...) absolutely suck for tubeless use 'cause you can't get the tire on.

One absolute rule that must NEVER be violated: do NOT try to run a non-tubeless road tire tubeless. It WILL catastrophically fail.

Link
Road Tubeless
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque