Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2009, 04:11 AM

238 posts, read 635,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catrinac View Post
BillyGoattheKid mentioned how much he has been able to do thanks to his degree but I have found in general there is a tremendous contempt in Albuquerque for education. It does not surprise me that some people can't find jobs despite having a degree; I know I haven't been able to. What's worse, at a lot of offices/temp agencies they refer to my degree as a "piece of paper", an arrogant remark I never heard in Utah. People here are really hateful about it.

Catrinac, I can totally relate to what you have stated.

I never put an emphasis on education while growing up. My family never really encouraging me to get 'A' grades or even go to college. My grades suffered through high school and I regret a lot of the decisions that I have made in regards to education. I floated around in life when I got out of high school, and soon realized that I needed to get a better education in order to live a better life. So, I put myself through college and got my degree. I am now en route to completing my Masters, which is something I never would have thought of doing just a few years ago.

Weird thing is, and I have mentioned this several times before here on this board, an education, especially a higher education, such as a Masters or PhD, is not something that is really prized here in Albuquerque and much of New Mexico.

It was a real culture shock when I moved from Burque to L.A., just how much and education means to people and how important it is to have one. When competing for jobs out there, it is a dog-eat-dog world, and only the best survive. People of all races and ethnicities strive to get their kids in a prestigious academy at an early age so they can be prepared for college, which prepares them for the real world. The UC college system is among the best and most elite of the country, if not the best. The average GPA for entering freshmen for Fall, 2002 at the University of California (UC), Los Angeles achieved an average grade point average (GPA) of 4.23. At UC, San Diego, admitted freshmen had an average GPA of 4.03. Likewise, 87% of incoming freshman at California State University (CSU) campuses had at least a 3.0 GPA, which is different from the UC system.

Now, that is a lot of competition and brain power. People desire a higher education and it is more revered out there, and in places like New England and the east coast, than it is here in NM. A job opening in L.A. or San Francisco might have some of the brightest, most competitive minds from around the world, with a higher degree from some of the most prestigious universities on the planet. If you tell people or employers here that you have a PhD, the reaction is "so?", or, sometimes even worse.

In all my time living in the cities that I have lived in, I have never understood the attitudes of Burqueños and New Mexicans in regards to success, education, money & finance, and having a higher standard for one's self. A lot of locals suffer from "fatalism" and "defeatism", which is a subject I explored in another post. It also seems like the more you want to succeed, the more people try to bring you down. And even the most modest form of success is met with contempt. In Spanish, we have a word for what this is called: "envidias". And that, along with fatalism and defeatism, is what is keeping the state down, and crime and hopelessness up.

Not that I think that I am 'better' than people, because I know that I am not. I most certainly have my faults. However, I have sacrificed years of my life, time, and money to educate myself in order to better myself, my family, my community, my country, and my planet. I'd like to get something in return. After all, isn't that what an education is for???

I could have dropped out of high school like 50% of the state, and sat around smoking weed, getting drunk and DWI's, joined a gang, getting women pregnant out of wedlock, and end up in prison costing taxpayers money and causing families grief. I know people who have done this. Heck, even some of my family members have done time. I refuse to be that way. I refuse to lower my standards. I refuse to become another statistic. I choose to better myself through sacrifice, hard work, imagination, knowledge, creativity, and entrepreneurship.

So, I am sorry, but a college degree is not just another piece of paper. It is a key to a prosperous future - a future of nearly unlimited potential and opportunity. It is a citation and commendation, stating that one single person made the sacrifice and effort to go through four, seven, even twelve years of schooling. It is a testament to one's will, that they have the intestinal fortitude to go out alone, away from home, to start a new life, and endure a sometimes grueling and frightening life of homework, tests, labs, lectures, and dissertations, and meet and accept challenges they have not yet encountered, and faced those challenges and conquer them.

Every person has a right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. So, if someone wants to live their life without an education and work from job to job to job for menial pay, so be it. If one wants to be miserable throughout their life, so be it. If someone wants to be jealous or bitter and angry that someone actually had the audacity to take time and effort to educate themselves to have a good life, so be it. That is their decision. I've gone the other route, and let me tell you, it sucks. I've been broke. I've been poor. I've had people get in my face and tell me off and try to make me miserable because I made something of myself. I've been threatened with physical violence because I 'sound smart'. I've lost friends and stopped contact with family members who have somehow gotten an evil seed planted in their head that I think I am better than they. Some people that I have never even met have done this to me. I've also had money, lived in great neighborhoods, had rich friends, and great jobs. Let me tell you, there is no comparison. It is all because of two things: attitude and education. It's as simple as that.

You have every right and opportunity to better yourself in this country, a country where there is nearly endless opportunity. Please do not deny me that same opportunity.

--BtK

Old 10-04-2009, 12:25 PM

102 posts, read 266,249 times
[quote=Billygoat the Kid;11038191]Catrinac, I can totally relate to what you have stated.

I am now en route to completing my Masters, which is something I never would have thought of doing just a few years ago.

Weird thing is, and I have mentioned this several times before here on this board, an education, especially a higher education, such as a Masters or PhD, is not something that is really prized here in Albuquerque and much of New Mexico.

It was a real culture shock when I moved from Burque to L.A., just how much and education means to people and how important it is to have one. A job opening in L.A. or San Francisco might have some of the brightest, most competitive minds from around the world, with a higher degree from some of the most prestigious universities on the planet. If you tell people or employers here that you have a PhD, the reaction is "so?", or, sometimes even worse.

In all my time living in the cities that I have lived in, I have never understood the attitudes of Burqueños and New Mexicans in regards to success, education, money & finance, and having a higher standard for one's self. A lot of locals suffer from "fatalism" and "defeatism", which is a subject I explored in another post. It also seems like the more you want to succeed, the more people try to bring you down. And even the most modest form of success is met with contempt. In Spanish, we have a word for what this is called: "envidias". And that, along with fatalism and defeatism, is what is keeping the state down, and crime and hopelessness up. However, I have sacrificed years of my life, time, and money to educate myself in order to better myself, my family, my community, my country, and my planet. I'd like to get something in return. After all, isn't that what an education is for???- I am sorry, but a college degree is not just another piece of paper. It is a key to a prosperous future - a future of nearly unlimited potential and opportunity.
[quote=Billygoat the Kid;11038191]

Before i state my opinion on this-i have been a supporter my whole life on receiving and furthering ones education-but its like you have TOTALLY IGNORED that we are in a recession and your precious LA/California has experienced 12.2/12.35% unemployment figures respectively and MANY people with prestigious degrees have lost their houses, homes and financial wealth that you claim is their prize for paying for their expensive years in college. With this ever-changing times and economy that "paper" is no guarantee for financial success. So many posts on here while dissing Burque have claimed they will find their Nirvana/Utopia in Cali-(much less Las Vegas-same story there-they got to be joking on that one). The jobs in ABQ with customer service jobs are typical all over the country in this economy. If one has a restaurant or other service type job up there-consider yourself lucky and count your blessings. And sticking to the OP--ABQ is a beautiful city-the problems it has are not unique-we have the same here in Austin/San Antonio area. Look for the good in things and you will have a more positive life.

Old 10-04-2009, 02:00 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,371,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
Why dont people on here accept other peoples views of a city, if its a positive opinion,view or experience then everything is all good, if its a negative one then everyone goes all crazy, WHO CARES.

not everyone is gonna like the same place, I thought NM has the most accepting poeple, yall sure dont act like it on here, I dont see why people bash someone cause they dont like it here, different strokes for different folks.
But its not necessary for someone to call people "hicks living in a cowtown". Bashing does not go just one way.

I might not be highly educated, but I did graduate high school. I am 55 yrs old, been married to the same man for 35 yrs and we live comfortably. No we're not rich, but we're not poor either.

Yes my husband has a degree in his line of work. He works a job that makes him very happy and easily pays our bills with money left over......gasp!!

Yes a degree is an important key to getting a job. But the lack of one should NOT be a reason for others to slam people into the ground.

Perhaps those who hate NM for being a "cowtown" would be happier in NYC, LA or DC. Maybe folks there will be more easily impressed.

Old 10-04-2009, 02:30 PM

713 posts, read 1,847,500 times
I have managed people with and without degrees. I have seen no difference in their work. The difference I do see is the ones with degrees like to brag about them and throw it in the face of others that don't have them. I degree proves to me someone is persistent and willing to work for a goal. That does not make them more intelligent than anyone else. Some don't have the opportunity that others have. I never completed my degree but retired at 48 with a nice pension.

I don't agree that people here don't take education seriously. But some have other goals and expectations in their life. NM is very art oriented and some prefer to follow these paths and paint, sculpt or write. And work odd jobs to sustain themselves. I find the attitude of those that think a degree is the only way to succeed offending. It is true that it can be hard to even get your foot in the door of some jobs without a degree. I found in my experience that limited applicants like that narrowed the applicant pool and disqualified some very hard working and intelligent people. Many of whom I ended up hiring.

Old 10-04-2009, 03:23 PM

Unhappy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by satxguero View Post

Before i state my opinion on this-i have been a supporter my whole life on receiving and furthering ones education-but its like you have TOTALLY IGNORED that we are in a recession and your precious LA/California has experienced 12.2/12.35% unemployment figures respectively and MANY people with prestigious degrees have lost their houses, homes and financial wealth that you claim is their prize for paying for their expensive years in college. With this ever-changing times and economy that "paper" is no guarantee for financial success. So many posts on here while dissing Burque have claimed they will find their Nirvana/Utopia in Cali-(much less Las Vegas-same story there-they got to be joking on that one). The jobs in ABQ with customer service jobs are typical all over the country in this economy. If one has a restaurant or other service type job up there-consider yourself lucky and count your blessings. And sticking to the OP--ABQ is a beautiful city-the problems it has are not unique-we have the same here in Austin/San Antonio area. Look for the good in things and you will have a more positive life.

You miss my point entirely. No need to further engage in this discussion.

--BtK

Old 10-04-2009, 04:12 PM

Exclamation Missing the Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by loborick View Post
I have managed people with and without degrees. I have seen no difference in their work. The difference I do see is the ones with degrees like to brag about them and throw it in the face of others that don't have them. I degree proves to me someone is persistent and willing to work for a goal. That does not make them more intelligent than anyone else. Some don't have the opportunity that others have. I never completed my degree but retired at 48 with a nice pension.

I cannot believe I am reading this...

Rick, have you ever thought about how much more you would have made if you had gotten your degree? I'm sure your pension might have been much thicker if you did. Not that I am looking down my nose at you, but don't you think it would have made a difference?

And what you experience with people with degrees 'throwing it in the faces of those who don't' , that is the same experience I have, except the opposite. People love to look down on people with an education. I see it all the time. In fact, taking a look at the attitude of some on this board further proves my point.

Everyone has the same opportunity to go to college - everyone. So that argument doesn't carry any weight either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loborick View Post
I don't agree that people here don't take education seriously. But some have other goals and expectations in their life. NM is very art oriented and some prefer to follow these paths and paint, sculpt or write. And work odd jobs to sustain themselves. I find the attitude of those that think a degree is the only way to succeed offending. It is true that it can be hard to even get your foot in the door of some jobs without a degree. I found in my experience that limited applicants like that narrowed the applicant pool and disqualified some very hard working and intelligent people. Many of whom I ended up hiring.

Did you see the irony in your paragraph?

You admit you don't have a degree, and that you end up hiring people without one, then turn around and state you, "don't agree that people here don't take education seriously." You even admitted that it is hard to even get your foot in the door without a degree. That is why I am emphasizing getting a degree! When the economy comes back around full swing, who do you think will get hired at a firm? The guy with the degree, or the guy without the degree?

Sure, there are people who work hard and achieve much success without the degree. But if you look at those who make more money, it's usually the degree that gets them there. I've seen statistics that state the higher the degree, the higher your earnings throughout life. For example, take a look at APD's website. I'll cut & paste what it states about 'College Incentive':

• Bachelor’s degree $135.00 per month ($1620.00 annually)
  • Master’s degree $160.00 per month ($1920.00 annually)
  • PHD $185.00 per month ($2,220.00 annually)

Not too sure if you agree, but don't you think that $2,220.00 a year more is a nice bonus? That's over $51K more in a 23 year career! That could buy you a bigger house with a pool, a nice car, a ton of vacations, more meals at Barrelas, and can put your kids through college! What's more, when it comes down to it - all things being equal - who do you think is going to get that promotion? The guy with a high school GED, or the PhD from UNM?

If you are making good money and having a great life without a degree, God bless you. I think that's great. But, IMHO, one would make more money in their lifetime with that 'piece of paper'.

YMMV.

--BtK

Old 10-04-2009, 05:08 PM

Money can buy alot of "things", but not true happiness.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:46 PM

Talking $$$ Money Makes Me Happy $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
Money can buy alot of "things", but not true happiness.

Not too sure if you have ever been on welfare or food stamps, or eaten government issued cheese, but money sure as hell makes me happy.

I dare anyone here who says that to live one year without an income and see how 'happy' you are. Granted, I think people need to be happy regardless of income.

--BtK

Old 10-04-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billygoat the Kid View Post
Not too sure if you have ever been on welfare or food stamps, or eaten government issued cheese, but money sure as hell makes me happy.

I dare anyone here who says that to live one year without an income and see how 'happy' you are. Granted, I think people need to be happy regardless of income.

--BtK
No I have never been on welfare, and hopefully never will be.

It just seems that to some people money is the most important thing. Guess I am different because I am not a materialistic person.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:52 PM

102 posts, read 266,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billygoat the Kid View Post
I cannot believe I am reading this...

Rick, have you ever thought about how much more you would have made if you had gotten your degree? I'm sure your pension might have been much thicker if you did. Not that I am looking down my nose at you, but don't you think it would have made a difference? Everyone has the same opportunity to go to college - everyone. So that argument doesn't carry any weight either.

Did you see the irony in your paragraph?

You admit you don't have a degree, and that you end up hiring people without one, then turn around and state you, "don't agree that people here don't take education seriously." You even admitted that it is hard to even get your foot in the door without a degree. That is why I am emphasizing getting a degree! When the economy comes back around full swing, who do you think will get hired at a firm? The guy with the degree, or the guy without the degree?

Sure, there are people who work hard and achieve much success without the degree. But if you look at those who make more money, it's usually the degree that gets them there. I've seen statistics that state the higher the degree, the higher your earnings throughout life. For example, take a look at APD's website. I'll cut & paste what it states about 'College Incentive':

• Bachelor’s degree $135.00 per month ($1620.00 annually)
  • Master’s degree $160.00 per month ($1920.00 annually)
  • PHD $185.00 per month ($2,220.00 annually)
Not too sure if you agree, but don't you think that $2,220.00 a year more is a nice bonus? That's over $51K more in a 23 year career! That could buy you a bigger house with a pool, a nice car, a ton of vacations, more meals at Barrelas, and can put your kids through college! What's more, when it comes down to it - all things being equal - who do you think is going to get that promotion? The guy with a high school GED, or the PhD from UNM? If you are making good money and having a great life without a degree, God bless you. I think that's great. But, IMHO, one would make more money in their lifetime with that 'piece of paper'.
YMMV.
While you make some valid points that would stick back in the 1990's-where are all these people with "paper" in this recession going to now to look for jobs? There are a lot of unemployed people in the US with the "paper" that are broke-it is not a guarantee they you will be able to land a job. As an earlier post stated-it seems you want to impose your "materialistic standards" on ABQ-not everyone is interested in living a lifestyle with a BMW and a expensive house. They are happy and content in ABQ to enjoy their families and friends, festivals and culture in the ABQ area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque