U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 03:21 PM

662 posts, read 1,422,609 times

Advertisements

I'm new to ABQ, and to xeriscaping. Our yard is a mixture of lawn and gravel. In the gravel area there are many weeds popping through. When I bought the house in September, I paid a landscaper to weed and feed my lawn, mow, trim bushes and to get all the weeds out of the gravel. Within two weeks they were back. I have made my kids weed again, but this seems crazy. There are now thousands and to do it by hand would be very daunting.

Any suggestions? Won't we be getting a freeze soon, which will kill them? What should I do in the spring to prevent this? It is very unsightly.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 03:39 PM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,218,740 times
I spray RoundUp liberally. Works bueno.

Old 11-10-2011, 04:30 PM

5,548 posts, read 15,831,816 times
Make very very sure that the irrigation water from the lawn part is not
getting into the gravel. Better yet, remove the lawn part and go with
all gravel and NO irrigation.

Coming from Ohio and not having to mow the lawn is wonderful.
I see those neighbors getting out their lawn mowers and actually
doing that chore on porpose drives me nuts.

Also note that old rock beds tend to be rich with soil and grow weed
quite nicely. Sifting some of that soil out and returning to a 3-5"
depth of rocks makes things better.

Old 11-10-2011, 04:42 PM

26,530 posts, read 50,648,884 times
If you had landscape cloth placed under the gravel, the weeds should be minimal, may die by themselves and/or they will be easy to pull...

"Eliminator" brand weed and grass killer is less expensive than Roundup. You need to apply either about twice a year. First time when it is 60 degrees or above. That will take about 10 to 14 days to kill. But new growth will start. Then a second application...

Look for "Goatheads" thin vines which cling to the ground. Cute little yellow flowers. As a minimum, pull those often as their seeds will sit for years and they are nasty...

//www.city-data.com/forum/albuq...w-flowers.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/albuq...cle-tires.html

Rich

Old 11-10-2011, 05:48 PM

4,280 posts, read 8,908,248 times
If the gravel was put down without a weed barrier (plastic sheeting) first, then one solution would be to move the gravel aside and put down the weed barrier before restoring the gravel. That would also allow getting rid of any sand / soil that may have drifted into the gravel since it was originally put down.

I know...lots of work.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:59 PM

4,728 posts, read 6,962,244 times
Sounds like someone did a rush DIY job on the landscaping before putting the house on the market. I've seen people who think all they have to do is dump a bunch of gravel and they're done xeriscaping, and soon they're overwhelmed with weeds. As mentioned above, you need a weed barrier such as landscape cloth under the gravel to stop the weeds.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:21 PM

Thanks for all of your helpful answers. I pushed aside the gravel, and there is a black cloth underneath, but it seems to be very old and full of holes. I'm not sure how many years ago it was installed since we just bought.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:44 PM

26,530 posts, read 50,648,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonexpat View Post
Thanks for all of your helpful answers. I pushed aside the gravel, and there is a black cloth underneath, but it seems to be very old and full of holes. I'm not sure how many years ago it was installed since we just bought.
Well then, the weeds are not as bad... Don't ask me how I know...

Years of accumulated sand, dust etc, you get some weed growth.

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 11-10-2011 at 07:21 PM..

Old 11-10-2011, 09:46 PM

1,989 posts, read 3,965,969 times
You have a build up of sand and dirt over the years. Seedlings can grow in almost anything. Do as Rich suggest above.

Oh and don't listen to those telling you to rip up your grass. You said you have children. Grass is a nice soft and cool place for them to play. I certainly wouldn't want my 2.5 year old son playing in hard, sharp rocks that are 130° in the summer.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post
You have a build up of sand and dirt over the years. Seedlings can grow in almost anything. Do as Rich suggest above.

Oh and don't listen to those telling you to rip up your grass. You said you have children. Grass is a nice soft and cool place for them to play. I certainly wouldn't want my 2.5 year old son playing in hard, sharp rocks that are 130° in the summer.

Thanks to all. I am not planning on ripping up the grass. We have a lot of expenses from moving, and the house needs work on the outside. I certainly don't have money right now to completely redo our landscaping. Comparatively speaking, it's not a lot of grass--a small plot in front and back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque