Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 04:38 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,183,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahawk742 View Post
I would think that Roswell and Alamogordo would be warmer climates for living and less crime although some would give me an argument on crime in Roswell Albuquerque can get very rough on crime Roswell i go there all the time and its a nice place to live with nice people and they have buses plus its a very small big city. Albuquerque is not a good place to ride a bike because of all the traffic or weather wise is not very good either.
Having lived in both cities (Roswell and Albuquerque) I can say with complete certainty that this post is completely false.

Roswell, despite having less than 1/10 the population of Albuquerque, has a far higher crime rate.

There are nice people and mean/worthless people in both places. In my experience, Albuquerque's about 3:1, Roswell's about 2:3.

Roswell has a pretty lame bus system, with 4 lines serving an area about 1/3 the physical footprint of Albuquerque. Albuquerque's transit system is far more useful.

Albuquerque has wonderful bike trails spread throughout. Roswell has a few here and there.

Roswell's weather is too similar to Albuquerque's for one to be good bike riding and one not. Roswell's summers are more brutal, and the winters didn't feel any warmer (they did feel wetter).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 05:28 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,061,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
Having lived in both cities (Roswell and Albuquerque) I can say with complete certainty that this post is completely false.

Roswell, despite having less than 1/10 the population of Albuquerque, has a far higher crime rate.

There are nice people and mean/worthless people in both places. In my experience, Albuquerque's about 3:1, Roswell's about 2:3.

Roswell has a pretty lame bus system, with 4 lines serving an area about 1/3 the physical footprint of Albuquerque. Albuquerque's transit system is far more useful.

Albuquerque has wonderful bike trails spread throughout. Roswell has a few here and there.

Roswell's weather is too similar to Albuquerque's for one to be good bike riding and one not. Roswell's summers are more brutal, and the winters didn't feel any warmer (they did feel wetter).
Agreed. Albuquerque has a fantastic bike system/routes.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:05 AM

12 posts, read 30,701 times
Thank you all for the information. I don't think Albuquerque is the place for me. Zoidberg mentioned that the weather is simular to NY and thats what I am trying to move out of. My sincerest gratitude to you all.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:32 AM

13 posts, read 22,296 times
I don't live in Albuquerque but will be moving there soon. There is nothing similar about the weather in ABQ and NYC. Nothing at all. Albuquerque is cool and dry and NYC is cool and wet. They are not the same. Cool weather is wonmderful for biking and it's virtually all year round. I don't knowwhat these posters are talking about cuz ABQ is high desert and NY, well, it's damp, dreary and cold eastern seaboard.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:38 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,183,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
Temperature-wise, we have more in common with cities in New York than with cities in Arizona or Texas.
I never said the weather was similar.

Today's forecast in Albuquerque: 42H, 23L.
Today's forecast in New York City: 45H, 39L.

This week's high in Albuquerque: 45.
This week's high in New York City: 53.

This week's low in Albuquerque: 23.
This week's low in New York City: 29.

These feel very different, but if you're trying to escape New York's cold, it's a worthwhile comparison.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:44 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,061,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisGreenberg View Post
I don't live in Albuquerque but will be moving there soon. There is nothing similar about the weather in ABQ and NYC. Nothing at all. Albuquerque is cool and dry and NYC is cool and wet. They are not the same. Cool weather is wonmderful for biking and it's virtually all year round. I don't knowwhat these posters are talking about cuz ABQ is high desert and NY, well, it's damp, dreary and cold eastern seaboard.
Agreed. The difference in moisture is significant. The dryness makes both the heat and cold more tolerable.

NY on the Left, NM on the right. Look at the rainfall on the bottom. We are 5-10º warmer throughout the year.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:15 AM

13 posts, read 22,296 times
I am originally from Toronto and Thunder Bay Canada and have lived in Austin Texas for 8 years, Denver for a year and El Paso for 2 years. ABQ temp ranges although might be close you have to take into account humidity and snow.

El Paso weather is close to the weather in ABQ ( a little warmer and more windy) so I'm judging by that.

As for the OP: You can bike in ABQ at least 9 months out of the year.

If you want no seasons at all but tons of Allergies, no mass transportation and insane amount of traffic and high housing/utilities, I suggest Austin.
Or for Massive heat go to Tucson or Phoenix.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:30 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post
Agreed. The difference in moisture is significant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisGreenberg View Post
ABQ temp ranges although might be close you have to take into account humidity and snow.
The humidity is a major difference.... Altitude may also be a factor...

Rich

Old 12-14-2011, 03:25 PM

12 posts, read 30,701 times
OH MY!! MorrisGreenberg, I have been looking in Austin TX. Just outside of it, Round Rock. Are you Familiar? What can you tell me please?! I have heard traffic is bad, but is it bad only going into the city and around within the city? Allergies? High cost of housing do you mean renting too?

Old 12-14-2011, 04:33 PM

5,031 posts, read 7,412,572 times
I bike in ABQ all the ding dong year long. Don't go major distances in winter though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque