Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 10:02 AM

642 posts, read 1,113,576 times

Advertisements

Here's a new project I'd like to start collaborating with people on that I like to call Albucombie.

It's based on the idea of a combi, which is a popular form of mass transit in Latin America, a place were a much higher percentage of the population doesn't use a car as a primary form of transit.

A combi, sometimes referred to as a 'colectivo' is a large van, privately owned, which serves more localized routes.

Albuquerque, for the most part has a grid system based street network, so here's how it would work here:

-All major roadways would have service:

East/Westbound routes:

Gun Club
Rio Bravo/Gibson
Bridge
Central
Lomas
Constitution
Indian School
Menaul
Candelaria
Commanche
Montaño/Montgomery
Academy
Osuna
Paseo del Norte
Alameda

North/Southbound routes:

Unser
Golf Course
Coors
Isleta/Rio Grande
12th
4th
2nd
Broadway/Edith
University (MDS - Airport - Menaul)
Yale
Carlisle
San Mateo
San Pedro
Louisiana
Pennslylvania
Wyoming
Moon/Ventura
Eubank
Morris
Juan Tabo
Chelwood Park
Tramway

-Since this system is based on 'the grid,' passengers would likey have to transfer, but the wait time for any Combi should be less than 5 minutes. How is this done? Well, rather than assigning the routes for drivers to back and forth, on a set schedule, it would be need-based.

This can be accomplished by strategically setting up the vans along the routes in different places throughout the route. At each intersection, there will be a combi-stop, which is basically a pole with buttons,, similar to the crosswalk buttons at intersections but with an umbrella-style thing on top for shade/shelter. Each passenger presses the button to summon the Combi to come pick them up. Note: Each individual passenger will press the button so the system knows if more than 1 van is needed.

This type of system would be much more efficient than the busses by reducing the vehicle weight per passenger ratio. (How many times do you see a double bus with 2-3 passengers?) and by not running when it's not necessary.

-This would be a private business (maybe subsidized by the city for eliminating need for many bus routes, reducing road congestion, ect.) So it could be available 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

-The cost could be similar to current transit fares:

$1 for 1 ride
$2 for 4 hr pass
$3 for day (16 hr) pass
$50 for 1 month pass

-24 hour service alternative to expensive taxi or DWI, would boost business for restaurants/bars outside central city area

-Vans would be bike and handicapped capable

The current bus system is set up to work mainly as a commuter system rather than providing reliable transportation that could replace a car. Early closures, limited weekend schedule, etc.

The proposed alternatives or additions (light rail, high speed rail, cable cars, rapid bus transit) require significant infrastructure investment and do not adequately address the frequency or extensive coverage issue.

Has anybody ever introduced this idea already?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 10:42 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,999,826 times
Something you would need to consider are the startup costs. Like procuring the vehicle fleet for this. Since vans are not as large as buses, you would need more of them to keep up with demand.

I most like the idea of it being a private business. That way the only people who have to pay are those who choose to use it. Good thinking.

Old 12-31-2011, 11:07 AM

Thanks!

The starting costs would be pretty significant, As far as the fleet goes, there would probably need to be an average of 8 vans per route (fewer on the shorter ones like Yale and more on the longer ones like Montaño/Montgomery.)

There would also be the cost of producing/installing the stops, finding/paying the drivers, the insurance, etc.

The idea would be low-emissions vans to minimize fuel costs. In a way this service would be a kinda hybrid between a bus and a taxi.

As far as getting the funds for the initial costs, I thought it would be a good idea to form some sort of co-op or collective. The profits could be distributed at the same weight of the individual's contribution.

The idea of going through government channels seems pretty daunting and probably would take years to decades to see results.

Old 12-31-2011, 11:23 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,999,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqpsychlist View Post

The idea of going through government channels seems pretty daunting and probably would take years to decades to see results.
Assuming that by going through government channels, you ever WILL see results. And that's a bold assumption!

Old 12-31-2011, 02:05 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,333,607 times
Also, remember that cutaway vans are only Altoona tested for a minimum of 5 year service, while heavy-duty buses are Altoona tested for at least 12 year service. In the long run, replacing the vans every 5 years will add up in costs.

I really don't think vans are the solution to Albuquerque's transit problems for this reason.

Old 01-01-2012, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andros 1337 View Post
Also, remember that cutaway vans are only Altoona tested for a minimum of 5 year service, while heavy-duty buses are Altoona tested for at least 12 year service. In the long run, replacing the vans every 5 years will add up in costs.

I really don't think vans are the solution to Albuquerque's transit problems for this reason.
The repair cost is a function of time and use, so the fact that these vans wouldn't be riding around in circles regardless of how many people need them means that the cost of maintenance and repair/replacement would be less.

Also, the vans used wouldn't necessarily be the same ones the city already has, this would be a private deal so could contract honda or someone to make a lighter more efficent (yet safe) van with an fast automatic door for the passengers.

Old 01-01-2012, 03:09 AM

And I just realized I misspelled the name earlier, should be Albucombi, not Albucombie.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:00 AM

1,182 posts, read 2,476,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqpsychlist View Post
And I just realized I misspelled the name earlier, should be Albucombi, not Albucombie.
I liked Albucombie. First thing I thought of was to call them Albucombie and Fetch.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:41 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,182,709 times
There is a new startup coming out of silicon valley called Uber that sorta takes this idea and melds it with technology.

That, and it uses existing corporate car fleets which are exempt from taxi cartels but still answerable to regulatory authorities.

Old 01-01-2012, 09:26 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,758,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
There is a new startup coming out of silicon valley called Uber that sorta takes this idea and melds it with technology.

That, and it uses existing corporate car fleets which are exempt from taxi cartels but still answerable to regulatory authorities.
Hummm

So for the Wash DC area:
$7.00 base + $3.25 per mile distance fee + $0.75 per minute time fee = Uber fare

My old 5 mile 15 minute commute to one site would be $7.00 + $16.25 + $11.25 = $34.50

I can do it now for a crisp $20 bill...
It might work for some people...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque