Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Vote for ABQ'S Top Wish!
Tougher DWI/Crime laws 9 31.03%
A new arena that can host big music acts and events 11 37.93%
More movie theatres 1 3.45%
In-N-Out 5 17.24%
Baja Fresh 0 0%
Culver's 3 10.34%
Fresh & Easy Market 0 0%
IKEA 9 31.03%
Great (better/improved)public schools. 15 51.72%
More direct flights to places 7 24.14%
Crate and Barrel 1 3.45%
Expanded Rapid Ride with later hours 2 6.90%
See the homeless problem go away 2 6.90%
More rain and snow 7 24.14%
Affordable solar power 3 10.34%
Better mass transit, specifically connecting the East Mountains to town. (east-west Rail Runner branch?) 2 6.90%
17. Movie theater in East Mountains 2 6.90%
Container Store 0 0%
Fry's store 4 13.79%
Spec's Liquor Warehouse 1 3.45%
Second tram line coming down the east side from the Crest 0 0%
Road tunnel connecting Sandia Park with Montgomery, Academy, or Paseo 2 6.90%
Urban gondolas 3 10.34%
New Waterpark 8 27.59%
Comprehensive attack on DWIs 6 20.69%
More tickets to bicyclists that don't obey the laws 4 13.79%
More tickets to automobile drivers who don't obey the laws 6 20.69%
KAFB, Sandia Labs, and others to clean up their fuel spills and toxic dumps in and around the city 4 13.79%
Motorists to refrain from intimidating and running over bicyclists 6 20.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 08:25 PM

295 posts, read 592,628 times

Advertisements

Downtown is a dump. I wish it would change, it is beyond even pointless for anyone to drive into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 08:46 PM

1,993 posts, read 4,067,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan from NM View Post
Downtown is a dump. I wish it would change, it is beyond even pointless for anyone to drive into.

It is not pointless for me. My office is down there and they pay me very well, so it makes sense that I continue to do so.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:48 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,840,967 times
Quote:
Your opinion is noted, but I disagree.

I happen to enjoy and do some work on occasion downtown.

Rich

Old 02-28-2012, 09:55 AM

581 posts, read 1,174,037 times
I also enjoy downtown. But it could use some major improvement.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
A direct flight to NYC, Boston, and down to Mexico (Guadalajara, PV, or MC) would be nice.
We've been there, a few attempts were made.

About 3 or 4 years ago Governor Richardson negotiated agreements with AeroMexico to provide direct flights from Albuquerque to Cuidad Chihuahua, Mexico, and for flights which were to also serve as a connection to other Mexico destinations. Under the agreement there was to be some "start-Up" costs for the state of New Mexico of about three or four hundred thousand dollars. I don't remember the details, some flights were made but the "subsidy" costs were apparently too great and the program was terminated...

Rich

Old 03-01-2012, 03:03 AM

69 posts, read 186,762 times
Default Albuquerque

Quote:
Originally Posted by ay jayy View Post
downtown revitalization and development
Perhaps, however, I would not want to see the Nob Hill - UNM - Downtown (Central) Corridor turn into a place with 15 story condo towers overlooking the streets - Albuquerque should NOT in my view turn into the UCLA area in L.A. People LEFT L.A. to get away from the congestion in L.A. - and they like Albuquerque since it's a smaller, less congested, city - including the downtown.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Your opinion is noted, but I disagree.

I happen to enjoy and do some work on occasion downtown.

Rich
Downtown is filled with cheap bars and strip club joints. That place turns into a riot at night. And in the day, it is an eye soar, the homeless lurk everywhere and buildings, streets and such could use improvement. There is nowhere to shop, and enjoy a nice dinner unless you would like to eat tucanos every week which gets old.

I don't dare let my children near that area, until it improves. Nuff' said. If you work in Downtown you have NO choice but to go in the area.

Old 03-04-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Downtown is filled with cheap bars and strip club joints. That place turns into a riot at night. And in the day, it is an eye soar, the homeless lurk everywhere and buildings, streets and such could use improvement. There is nowhere to shop, and enjoy a nice dinner unless you would like to eat tucanos every week which gets old.

I don't dare let my children near that area, until it improves. Nuff' said. If you work in Downtown you have NO choice but to go in the area.
We meet some people who come to town, there are plenty of decent places to eat, they usually are staying near the airport, sometimes we have some business at the Convention Center... We've had no problems, and have always had a good time. Well, there you have it, two opinions...

Rich

Old 03-04-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
We meet some people who come to town, there are plenty of decent places to eat, they usually are staying near the airport, sometimes we have some business at the Convention Center... We've had no problems, and have always had a good time. Well, there you have it, two opinions...

Rich
If the city was smart, they would invest in a small mall with many casual dining joints. A new hotel and an improved convention center would do the trick as well. But this is Albuquerque, i'm not getting my hopes up. I'll just stick to the west side.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:09 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,096,528 times
Quote:
... in the day, it is an eye soar, ...
Sour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque