Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 08:18 PM

64 posts, read 131,561 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to ABQ and would like to find an area that allows me to enjoy the desert landscapes, mountain vistas and sunset views. I'd like to a buy a 3-bed/2-bath (preferably adobe style) home for $225k max. I want to be out of the city center so that it's quiet with the desert stillness. Am I on the right track with Rio Rancho?

I'm worried about snow because I've only lived in Florida and Las Vegas, NV. I miss the climate and scenery of Las Vegas and would return if unemployment wasn't so high. I'm hoping ABQ is similar/ better because of the cultural/historical influences. But I've never driven in snow, never shoveled snow. It's hard to imagine what daily life would be like in the winter. Can anyone give me an idea? (I love cold winters so that's not a problem.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 08:41 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,889,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightongirl View Post
I'd like to a buy a 3-bed/2-bath (preferably adobe style) home for $225k max. I want to be out of the city center so that it's quiet with the desert stillness. Am I on the right track with Rio Rancho?

I'm worried about snow because
You might be on the right track. it would not hurt to look... Some parts are more congested than others.

I think you mean "Pueblo Style" home.

In 13 years we might have had 4 or 5 days with enough snow to afftect driving and most of that was in ABQ.

My wife and I have lived in Rio Rancho for 13 years. We have grand kids who have attended grades K-12 and college in Rio Rancho. We have about the same amount of snow as Albuquerque.

You might read this thread: Guide Me Through Rio Rancho

Rich

Old 03-16-2012, 08:49 PM

332 posts, read 1,122,139 times
I would say most of Rio Rancho is the same as ABQ, i.e., not quiet with desert stillness. I think perhaps you could move west of Unser or Rainbow and achieve some quiet, but I'd say you need to judge case by case and definitely visit. I live in RR and wouldn't say that I have quiet and desert stillness. It's a quiet subdivision, but not the quiet of nature.

It does snow here, more than in ABQ (RR is higher in elevation). I work in the APS school system, and there are days when RR school is cancelled due to snow but APS is open. I'm from NY, so to me the snow is laughable, and usually gone by noon when the sun melts it off. However, if you've never dealt with snow, it might be a bigger deal. I do own a shovel and have had to clear off my driveway a couple of times in the 4 years I've been here. It's never been a problem, but as I said, I'm used to it.

Daily life generally does not include snow. It gets cold, but the sun is usually out and afternoons can be nice. I had a weekend habit of putting my coat on and going out to sit in the sun in my yard around 3-4 o'clock this winter. Maybe with a beer!

Views are also case by case. The elevation of my house is slightly higher than my neighbor's across the street, so I have a decent view of the mountains from my front steps, but only from one window inside. The only things I can see from my back yard are other people's yards.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
- I think you mean "Pueblo Style" home ..
- In 13 years we might have had 4 or 5 days with enough snow to afftect driving and most of that was in ABQ ..
- You might read this thread: Guide Me Through Rio Rancho
Rich
abbreviated

I'm sure you're right on "Pueblo" style - I've been getting confused on Santa Fe, Adobe and Pueblo. It sounds like I got the wrong impression about the snow - I can handle that! I read that thread - sounds like Rio Rancho might be a little too sedate for me! Are there any "suburbs" that have their own "downtown" areas with restaurants, parks etc.?

I'm a 45 year old single female with no kids, feeling too old to be living downtown and too young to be in the suburbs alone! I'm really at a crossroads in so many ways ..

Old 03-17-2012, 09:28 AM

Rio Rancho began as a retirement city... We are about 6 miles from Cottonwood Mall in ABQ.

"downtown" areas with restaurants, parks etc. would be in ABQ possibly Santa Fe, but not sure.

People have different expectations and desires...

Coming out to visit might be worth the trip.

Rich

Old 03-17-2012, 02:38 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,041,938 times
Quote:

I'm sure you're right on "Pueblo" style - I've been getting confused on Santa Fe, Adobe and Pueblo.
I hear them used pretty much interchangably -- and you can throw territorial and Northern New Mexico style in the mix too.

Old 03-17-2012, 03:57 PM

5,061 posts, read 7,468,009 times
Quote:
I'm moving to ABQ and would like to find an area that allows me to enjoy the desert landscapes, mountain vistas and sunset views. I'd like to a buy a 3-bed/2-bath (preferably adobe style) home for $225k max. I want to be out of the city center so that it's quiet with the desert stillness. Am I on the right track with Rio Rancho?
You don't need to be in Rio Rancho to be "out of the city center". Albuquerque is quite large, it is probably similar to Las Vegas in many ways. There is a small downtown area but the rest of the land area is very suburban. There are major streets criss-crossing the city in every direction, and two interstate highways slice through, but I think in most of the city's residential areas you will have moments of "desert stillness." I live near the airport in a quiet neighborhood, and sometimes (when the wind isn't howling) it seems so eerily quiet I wonder what happened to everybody.

Desert landscapes, mountain vistas, sunsets, and adobe style homes are everywhere. Your price range should give you lots of options in just about any part of town.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Rio Rancho began as a retirement city... We are about 6 miles from Cottonwood Mall in ABQ.

"downtown" areas with restaurants, parks etc. would be in ABQ possibly Santa Fe, but not sure.

People have different expectations and desires...

Coming out to visit might be worth the trip.
I'm getting the impression that the layout of ABQ is not as I'm imagining. Downtown may be smaller with various types of residential neighborhoods and quite pedestrian perhaps? I definately need to make a quick trip soon. Rio Rancho is probably not for me if it doesn't have it's own neighborhoos shops etc. Here in Florida I'm tired of driving everywhere and I want a neighborhood to walk around in and feel part of.

Rich[/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdog View Post
I would say most of Rio Rancho is the same as ABQ, i.e., not quiet with desert stillness. I think perhaps you could move west of Unser or Rainbow and achieve some quiet, but I'd say you need to judge case by case and definitely visit.
I found a house that was adobe style west of Unser but by looking at the other houses on the market in that area it's not the vibe I'm searching for. Further west there are just tons of parcels of land for sale .. I'd definately get my desert stillness out there!

Quote Aries63: "You don't need to be in Rio Rancho to be "out of the city center". Albuquerque is quite large, it is probably similar to Las Vegas in many ways. There is a small downtown area but the rest of the land area is very suburban. There are major streets criss-crossing the city in every direction, and two interstate highways slice through, but I think in most of the city's residential areas you will have moments of "desert stillness." I live near the airport in a quiet neighborhood, and sometimes (when the wind isn't howling) it seems so eerily quiet I wonder what happened to everybody.

Desert landscapes, mountain vistas, sunsets, and adobe style homes are everywhere. Your price range should give you lots of options in just about any part of town."

Yes that's the desert stillness I'm looking for! When I lived in South Las Vegas, way south of the Strip and lights, I had to leave for work at 04:30. I rented a "cottage" type apartment on someone's lot. All I could hear was the wind, twigs blowing on the gravel and desert "creatures." It was the most peaceful thing I've ever experienced - and the crisp desert air was invigorating at the same time. I didn't mind having to get up for work so early because it was so "eerily" quiet and all I could hear was the land! I sound nutso!!

Old 03-18-2012, 02:09 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,106,263 times
google street view

You can use the above tool to get answers to your questions on architecture and moutain views.

Without a plan to visit, that is the next best thing.

Also, there is:
.................. Flickr: The Albuquerque Pool (http://www.flickr.com/groups/albuquerque/pool/ - broken link)
.................. Flickr: The New Mexico Pool (http://www.flickr.com/groups/newmexico/pool/ - broken link)
.................. http://www.flickr.com/groups/santafe/ (broken link)

Old 03-18-2012, 06:39 PM

Quote:
I'm getting the impression that the layout of ABQ is not as I'm imagining. Downtown may be smaller with various types of residential neighborhoods and quite pedestrian perhaps? I definately need to make a quick trip soon. Rio Rancho is probably not for me if it doesn't have it's own neighborhoos shops etc. Here in Florida I'm tired of driving everywhere and I want a neighborhood to walk around in and feel part of.

Rich
I guess you are talking about walkability. But to a large degree it depends exactly where you are at... Florida? I grew up in Florida, my mother used public transportation or walked for over 20 years...

From Cities in New Mexico on Walk Score :
Cities in New MexicoThe 12 largest cities in New Mexico have an average Walk Score of 39. The most walkable cities in New Mexico are Santa Fe, Hobbs, and Albuquerque. The least walkable cities are Rio Rancho, South Valley, and Alamogordo.
There are about 30 cities in the United States with better walkability than Albuquerque. See here: Explore the Walkability of 2,500 Cities in the United States on Walk Score

Rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque