Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 11:56 AM

4 posts, read 5,717 times

Advertisements

I live in Florida, raised in the south mostly, lived in Maryland, Maine, Washington state (place I consider not south but green) and then we lived in Lancaster California.. I loved that we were near the medical care I needed to help with my disability, and I can say at first I was absolutely mesmerized by the beauty of the desert and the mountains surrounding the city, the sunsets and rises, the clay houses.. but it wore off after about 2 years.. but still loved the people and got to know the city well in those four years, then 4 years ago we came home, well close to it, here in Florida.. I get to see my family, people who were raised like me.. the greenery of the trees, flowers, everything (beaches I can take or leave) and the wildlife (we live out in the country.. but I never knew how much I missed the south until I came home.. now, we are probably (almost 100 percent sure), moving there in the next couple of months (maybe soon as next week) for 4 years.. my husband will be working at Kirkland AFB.. I was wondering if anyone can tell me where can I live, that manageable to my husband's work that I might be able to plant a garden, or have grass and possibly trees..we will be renting, no need to buy when we are leaving in probably 4 years (weirdly just enough time to love Albuquerque and meet wonderful new friends like we did all over, I hate moving!!!)
also, I need medical care, I do see the base (I am medically retired from the Navy) but they can not care for my disease (if they even know much about it).. is there anyone on here who has heard of CRPS or the older name RSD or if there are any good family doctors for myself and family (we really want to stay off base)..maybe a good neuro and ortho dr too.. and pain clinics (not sure I want to go back to them, but just in case)
The last two questions, schools, my youngest son is in middle school now (and my oldest kids live all the way here) he is dreading moving.. oh boy.. also good neighbors with kids (I would give up greenery for him)..
and prices on rent.. I have been looking for a 2 bedroom house (not much out there) so maybe the prices on a 2 or 3 bed house.. we pay 1225.00 a month here, and in CA we paid 1450.00 there (are we going to have to pay more?)..
very very nervous about this move.. oh yes I have a pug dog.. so much stuff, and we will probably not be able to come check out the area first.. although we do have a friend whose flying there every other week to the job my husband is suppose to take (is there anything we can ask him to do for us before we move there, realtor's or anything like that)
Any help to calm my nerves would be so appreciative..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 12:17 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,957,996 times
If renting you might read through these threads:

ABQ Renting - How important are credit checks?
Renting in zip codes.........
renting a house/condo
https://www.city-data.com/forum/albuquerque/1201540-looking-home-rent.html"]Looking For a Home To Rent (http:// - broken link)

Looking for a rental...
Check local newspapers:

Albuquerque Journal Classifieds: ABQjournal Classifieds: Jobs Homes Cars Employment Autos Announcements Stuff Merchandise Wantads Pets Rentals Houses Real Estate Transportation Vehicles Travel.

Rio Rancho Observer Classifieds: rr-www2.rrobserver.com: Classifieds

You might also check: Factsheets : Kirtland Housing and Referral Office You might be able to rent one of their housing units while you look around (some civilian contractors have bee able to).

We live in Rio Rancho which is about 25 miles to Kirtland AFB. Perhaps too far to commute, but some people do (like my wife did for about 12 years).

Rich

Old 03-29-2012, 12:34 PM

Poncho_NM thank you so much.. the last post is for military and my husband is civilian contractor, I am the medically retired one.. but the other two.. thank you so much..

Old 03-29-2012, 12:46 PM

Poncho_NM do you know the average rental prices for Albuquerque, I know they will range alot depending on your area, but say a nice middle class area maybe..

Old 03-29-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavd View Post
Poncho_NM thank you so much.. the last post is for military and my husband is civilian contractor, I am the medically retired one.. but the other two.. thank you so much..
They do rent the housing to some civilian employees including contractors who work on base. My wife worked with several of them. You might check them out and sometimes the office has some rentals listings...

Rich

Old 03-29-2012, 03:22 PM

Thank you Rich.. will have my husband's friend to check that out while there next week.. if you dont' mind I have another question, what would be the best restaurant that my husband's friend can come back here and brag about.. I think he would like a good suggestion, since he is coming soon.. in fact he is there now, I forgot, but will be back Saturday and leaves the following week to go back there.. lol, my memory is not as good as it use to be.. aw heck.. it has always been bad

Old 03-29-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
what would be the best restaurant that my husband's friend can come back here and brag about.. I think he would like a good suggestion, since he is coming soon..
My personal favorites, I have gone to these many times over the past 10 years or so:

Bernalillo, Mexican and New Mexican: La Casita Cafe
Bernalillo, American, Mexican and New Mexican: Range Café

Perea's Tijuana Bar
Corrales Mexican and New Mexican

Casa de Benavidez
North Valley Mexican and New Mexican

Mary & Tito's Cafe
North Valley Mexican, Southwestern and New Mexican

Monroe's
Northeast Heights Southwestern, Mexican and New Mexican

Cervantes Restaurant & Lounge
International District Mexican and New Mexican

Hot Tamales
Rio Rancho Mexican and New Mexican

Las Cazuelas
Rio Rancho Mexican, New Mexican and Seafood

Garcia's Kitchen
Martinez Town Mexican and New Mexican

El Pinto
North Valley Southwestern, Mexican and New Mexican

And for a good review blog: Gil's Thrilling (And Filling) Blog | Follow the Culinary Ruminations of New Mexico's Sesquipedalian Sybarite. 631 Restaurant Reviews…And Counting!

Gil has never let me down.

Rich

Old 03-29-2012, 04:25 PM

662 posts, read 1,455,352 times
I have a son and daughter in high school and middle school. We live in the Northeast Heights and they go to Desert Ridge and La Cueva--two of the highest rated schools in ABQ. My husband plans to plant a vegetable garden in our backyard tomorrow. We will have to watch for freeze warnings to cover them until May. We have both grass and xeroscaping in our yard, and our neighborhood has a lot of beautiful flowering trees blooming right now. It isn't green like Austin or Wisconsin, but it doesn't look like a desert either.

I'm not sure about rent prices. There is a nice apartment complex down the road from us where we stayed when we first moved here and there are a few rental houses in my neighborhood.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:09 PM

77,770 posts, read 105,159,102 times
Quote:
I live in Florida, raised in the south mostly, lived in Maryland, Maine, Washington state (place I consider not south but green) and then we lived in Lancaster California.. I loved that we were near the medical care I needed to help with my disability, and I can say at first I was absolutely mesmerized by the beauty of the desert and the mountains surrounding the city, the sunsets and rises, the clay houses.. but it wore off after about 2 years.. but still loved the people and got to know the city well in those four years, then 4 years ago we came home, well close to it, here in Florida.. I get to see my family, people who were raised like me.. the greenery of the trees, flowers, everything (beaches I can take or leave) and the wildlife (we live out in the country.. but I never knew how much I missed the south until I came home.. now, we are probably (almost 100 percent sure), moving there in the next couple of months (maybe soon as next week) for 4 years.. my husband will be working at Kirkland AFB.. I was wondering if anyone can tell me where can I live, that manageable to my husband's work that I might be able to plant a garden, or have grass and possibly trees..we will be renting, no need to buy when we are leaving in probably 4 years (weirdly just enough time to love Albuquerque and meet wonderful new friends like we did all over, I hate moving!!!)
also, I need medical care, I do see the base (I am medically retired from the Navy) but they can not care for my disease (if they even know much about it).. is there anyone on here who has heard of CRPS or the older name RSD or if there are any good family doctors for myself and family (we really want to stay off base)..maybe a good neuro and ortho dr too.. and pain clinics (not sure I want to go back to them, but just in case)
The last two questions, schools, my youngest son is in middle school now (and my oldest kids live all the way here) he is dreading moving.. oh boy.. also good neighbors with kids (I would give up greenery for him)..
and prices on rent.. I have been looking for a 2 bedroom house (not much out there) so maybe the prices on a 2 or 3 bed house.. we pay 1225.00 a month here, and in CA we paid 1450.00 there (are we going to have to pay more?)..
very very nervous about this move.. oh yes I have a pug dog.. so much stuff, and we will probably not be able to come check out the area first.. although we do have a friend whose flying there every other week to the job my husband is suppose to take (is there anything we can ask him to do for us before we move there, realtor's or anything like that)
Any help to calm my nerves would be so appreciative..
wow, I am not trying to be critical buy boy was this hard to read: all one long paragraph. I think I have been able to understand what you are asking:

1- there is very good medical facilities in Alburquerque. I would recommend you check into Pres medical, but I don't know what restrictions apply when you are military.

Rents in decent areas are not easy to find but what you do find should be in your budget.

The soil in the area makes for growning a garden pretty easy. One of the best I even had was in the Albuquerque area.

Hope this helps a little bit, I am sure you will enjoy your time in NM, it has a lot to offer as long as you keep an open mind.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:45 AM

52 posts, read 104,240 times
I recommend Desert Ridge or Eisenhower Middle Schools and La Cueva, Sandia or El Dorado High Schools. All are in the NE Heights. There are plenty of AF personnel renting in those areas and you'll be able to find a 3BR in your budget <1500
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque