Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 09:21 AM

86 posts, read 292,350 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody!

Angie here ... I haven't posted in a long time but I still enjoy reading all the posts. Does anybody know that kind of moth this is? It's huuuge!
Well, these are two moths and they seem to be making babies! They were on my sage plant this morning and I wonder if it's the reason why most of the leaves look all chewed Does anybody know what the caterpillars look like? I wonder if these guys were the caterpillars -kind of greenish and big and fat- that one of my kitties found and insisted to bring in the house in her mouth. Once she brought the thing in she would drop it on the tile floor, very carefully, and look at me like saying "now, what do I do with this?" So, we picked the guy up (with paper towel) and put it back outside far from kitty reach. She did it a few times, she would always find them, bring them in and I would always put them back outside. But she has not found any lately, probably because they reached the end of the cycle and were turning into moths.

Thanks for any help. What do they eat? They don't eat humans or kitties or small dogs ... do they? Just kidding ...
Excuse my ignorance, but will they eat clothes if they get in the house? Ugh, I don't want them inside the house, they are soo big!

Purrs
Angie
Attached Thumbnails
Moths - Many Of Them Flying Around-moths.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 09:26 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,802,734 times
I've seen a couple of those around here also. There may be a type of cicada, but I'm not certain.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:37 AM

196 posts, read 591,212 times
Ew! Wish I knew too as I've seen them before! Just gave me the heebie jeebies!

Old 07-22-2009, 09:40 AM

2,140 posts, read 6,468,862 times
How big are they?

Old 07-22-2009, 10:00 AM

68 posts, read 151,102 times
They could be Sphinx Moths. They are beautiful none the less and harmless. I happen to love Butterflies, Moths ,Ladybugs and a few other types of insects. that others would find gross.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:36 PM

1,732 posts, read 4,450,204 times
Hummingbird moths?

Old 07-22-2009, 04:12 PM

196 posts, read 591,212 times
I love butterflies but for some reason these moths give me the willies.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:14 PM

Default Moths are still on the sage plant

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalahartma View Post
How big are they?
I just measured them because they are still in the same position as this morning ... the wing span is 4 inches ... they are really b-i-g!!! and the length of the body is 3 inches.... and their faces are not really pretty ... eeww! I think something strange is going on with those two ... I don't think they are making babies ... they look like they are conjoined twins ... conjoined by their derrieres (nice French word for "butts") their are glued to each other ... they haven't moved..at all! If one of them wants to move, would have to drag the other one around
What do I do now?

Old 07-22-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norma61 View Post
They could be Sphinx Moths. They are beautiful none the less and harmless. I happen to love Butterflies, Moths ,Ladybugs and a few other types of insects. that others would find gross.
Oh, don't get me wrong, Norma I love every living creature ... And I believe every being has the right to live her/his life. When we were living in New Hampshire, I couldn't even kill the mosquitoes (if one would ever sneak in the house), I would trap it inside a jar, put the lid on and release it out on the deck ... "bye-bye... mosquito! don't come back!" I like butterflies and I do like ladybugs but these guys do not have what I would call "a sweet expression" on their faces ... And I know that if I looked at a butterfly or a ladybug under the microscope I'm sure the face would look kind of the same .... I know they are not the prettiest ... oh, well, what can you do ... as long as they stay on the sage plant and don't try to get in the house ... just the thought of them crawling up my arm in the middle of the night gives me the creepies ...

Old 07-23-2009, 05:33 PM

Default So, I found it!

Hello everybody. Thanks to all for you help and tips. And, yes, I did find out about these guys after a little bit of a research. It is the Pachysphinx Occidentalis also called the Big Poplar Sphinx. The wing span can be from 5 1/8 to 5 7/8, it flies in riparian areas and suburbs from Alberta and North Dakota west to eastern Washington; south to Texas, southern California and Baja California Norte. Sorry I cannot attach some really good pics I found but I guess some websites will not let you copy and paste. But that's the one!
The info says that male and female moths come to lights as two broods in southern Arizona from May-September and as one brood from June-August. The adults do not nectar at flowers. Little is known about the eclosion of the earth pupators but many believe pupae wiggle toward the surface just prior to emergence.
As far as Scenting and Mating, it says that the females extend a scent gland from the posterior of the abdomen, to lure in the night flying males whose large claspers are frequently wide open as they fly in to lights around midnight.... Soo, the two I captured in my photo were, actually, mating! They stayed like that all day and they were still stuck to each other last time I checked, around 9:00 PM
The larvae feed on cottonwood and poplar.
And the pupa looks just like that fat pale green thing which Tammy, my oldest kitty, brought in the house a couple of times and dropped on the floor in the kitchen, not knowing what to do with it

They don't eat or attack humans, kitties or small dogs ... just kidding. As somebody suggested, they are harmless. This morning one of them was gone, I believe it was the boy ("thanks, ma'am for your services ...bye-bye"!) So, the girl was in a different spot and has been there all day (still is) ... maybe waiting for another boyfriend!

Well, I hope this info helps.
Purrs to everybody
Angie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque