Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 09:19 AM

701 posts, read 693,893 times

Advertisements

My wife and I (ages 68 &69) are planning a vacation in 3 weeks to Albuquerque. We want to go to Sky City, Old Town, El Rancho de las Golondrinas & Fort Union in Las Vegas among other places we have not decided yet. We also want to travel on Hwy 14, the scenic route to Santa Fe.

In your opinion, where is a good place to stay? Out by the airport or closer in near Old Town? What motel in an area that is hassle free. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 09:43 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,060,865 times
I would stay in Old Town or Uptown. Most of the Hotels are hassle free. As long as it is a decent hotel.

Old 05-06-2015, 06:37 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
We stayed for a three days at the University Quality Inn on Menual Blvd. We had one of the lesser rooms that was clean, quiet and reasonably priced. We spent most of this vacation in Truth or Consequences at an old fashioned Motel with hot spring fed baths. We were thawing out from a really tough New England winter. Once we returned to Albuquerque we drove up to the top of the Sandia ridge a couple of times. The first in a snowstorm and the second on a nice day. That is well worth the effort. We also drove to Madrid (Madrid) in Rt 14. Lunch at the Mine Shaft Tavern was really decent. Try the special cheeseburger or a steak made from local beef.

If you want to visit Santa Fe I strongly recommend taking the Railrunner from ABU. The ride is quite scenic through the unused farmland north of ABU. When in Santa Fe avoid the tour busses and get an all day pass for a couple of bucks on the city busses. We had a wonderful drive up Canyon Road and Museum Hill for a dollar for both of us. We also bough a beautiful black on black bowl from one of the vendors at the place of the Governors on the Plaza.

Next time we vacation in New Mexico we plan on visiting the Northwest part of the State.
A stop at the rug auction at Crownpoint is on the must do list. Watching Shiprock at dawn is another.

As always I suggest getting a copy of the Benchmark Maps "New Mexico Road and Recreation Atlas" as well as material from the State tourist office. The "Off the Beaten Path" book is also useful.

Enjoy your stay. New Mexico is a fascinating place.

Old 05-06-2015, 04:36 PM

I am looking at the Hampton Suites at 6150 Iliff Road NW. Easy on easy off Interstate. Good location - safe location? Your thoughts.

Old 05-06-2015, 05:03 PM

16,078 posts, read 10,738,506 times
There are some long-term motels (Residence Inn and Suburban Inn) near Menaul and Carlisle just north of I-40. I stayed at Suburban quite often and paid as low as $35 a night and it has a small kitchen. Prices vary. It is close to a state patrol substation on Carlisle. I picked up a few groceries at Wal-Mart on Carlisle. You can walk to Rudy's BBQ and a few other places. There's a Napoli Coffee shop across Menaul a block west. Sometimes it was noisy but not too bad. It has a laundry. Cheap and convenient.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:10 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,182,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramp View Post
I am looking at the Hampton Suites at 6150 Iliff Road NW. Easy on easy off Interstate. Good location - safe location? Your thoughts.
Motels are fine in and of themselves- popular with truckers (Fedex and UPS put their drivers up there).

The neighborhood itself ranks as pretty high in crime, particularly property crime. I'd pick a different neighborhood if I was concerned about break-ins.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
Motels are fine in and of themselves- popular with truckers (Fedex and UPS put their drivers up there).

The neighborhood itself ranks as pretty high in crime, particularly property crime. I'd pick a different neighborhood if I was concerned about break-ins.
Thanks Zoidberg, As we have never been to Albuquerque, Any suggestions for a safer area?

Old 05-07-2015, 07:08 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,182,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramp View Post
Thanks Zoidberg, As we have never been to Albuquerque, Any suggestions for a safer area?
Most of Albuquerque's ok; I'd stay away from East Central and Coors/I-40 for property crime concerns if my budget wasn't tight; there's going to be a risk wherever you stay. Just exercise common sense.

Old 05-07-2015, 07:38 AM

I appreciate your comments Zoidberg. Not sure where East Central is but any comments on these areas?

Comfort inn at 5251 San Antonio Blvd. NE

Comfort Inn at 5811 Signal Ave. N.E.,

Sleep Inn at 2300 International Ave SE,

Comfort Inn at 1801 Yale Boulevard Southeast,

What would be close to Old Town?

Old 05-07-2015, 08:20 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,162,402 times
Centrally located in the Old Towne area is a Best Western Plus Rio Grande Inn that has a 3-Diamond rating from AAA. And a 4-star rating on Google search sites. It's located on IH-40 at the Rio Grande exit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque