Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 02:24 PM

102 posts, read 289,458 times

Advertisements

This is our first year with a swamp cooler so we're learning. We had the pump and fan on pretty much all summer and just turned them off for the first time in about 2 months. It now smells like low tide. I'm wondering if I should have left the fan on until everything dried out or if that's just the way it is or we did something wrong. Any insights from more experienced users would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 02:28 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,059,468 times
Swamp coolers can develop a 'swamp' smell. You can drain the water and clean it out. There is also a couple of products to keep the micro-organisms that contribute to the smell to a minimum. You can purchase them from Home Depot/Samons/Lowe's.

Old 08-24-2012, 02:35 PM

2 posts, read 11,212 times
For sure. Swamp coolers they are generally on or off until sometime in early October (Indian Summer, it may get warm again). The water sits in that pan and may get a bit stinky.

I suggest going to home depot and getting the blue pads and taking your old ones out as they may get mold and lime scale.

Here's a plan:

Ready to turn on in May/June:
replace your pads with synthetic pads
scrub out the basin and use a shop vac to get out all the old lime scale.
Buy an inline filter for the water supply to your cooler to prevent hard water build up on the unit and pads
make sure all the water spouts are working (they make a snake to clean them out, again, home depot)

End of the season:
empty the basin
replace the damper
buy a canvas cover for your cooler

I never used my swamp cooler in "Fan only" mode. Some may disagree but there is a danger of things overheating...

Old 08-24-2012, 03:02 PM

Thank you both for the advice! We're new to the house and cleaned the cooler out before starting it up but it was REALLY scaled up so there was only so much we could do. We got the inside pretty well cleaned out and we did get the inline filter and new pads before starting it for the season. I don't mind low tide so much as I grew up on Long Island Sound I just wanted to be sure that we weren't doing anything to break the whole system.

I'm certain that we'll be turning it on again for the next few months but we'll certainly empty it all out and clean it before we close it down for the season.

Thanks again! Enjoy the cooler weather!

Old 08-24-2012, 03:09 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,576,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theplu View Post
Thank you both for the advice! We're new to the house and cleaned the cooler out before starting it up but it was REALLY scaled up so there was only so much we could do. We got the inside pretty well cleaned out and we did get the inline filter and new pads before starting it for the season. I don't mind low tide so much as I grew up on Long Island Sound I just wanted to be sure that we weren't doing anything to break the whole system.

I'm certain that we'll be turning it on again for the next few months but we'll certainly empty it all out and clean it before we close it down for the season.

Thanks again! Enjoy the cooler weather!
If its really bad ! drain it , then fill it with clean water , add 1/2 cup of bleach run the unit for 15 min , the smell should go away. Then go to home depot/ Lowes and get the 2" blocks for swamp coolers , that will do for the long term , they usually last all season.

Old 08-24-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
If its really bad ! drain it , then fill it with clean water , add 1/2 cup of bleach run the unit for 15 min , the smell should go away. Then go to home depot/ Lowes and get the 2" blocks for swamp coolers , that will do for the long term , they usually last all season.
Thanks! We'll probably do that.

Old 08-24-2012, 05:37 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,076,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theplu View Post
We had the pump and fan on pretty much all summer ...
When you say all summer, do you mean 24x7?

Old 08-24-2012, 10:50 PM

923 posts, read 2,418,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
When you say all summer, do you mean 24x7?
I was wondering the same thing. We turn ours off each night even in the heat of the summer and then back on again around 10am. When we have the really hot days, we turned it on earlier in the morning. I am surprised that the OP's motor didn't burn out (assuming it was on 24/7 for 2 months).

Old 08-24-2012, 11:08 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,076,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo View Post
I was wondering the same thing. We turn ours off each night even in the heat of the summer and then back on again around 10am.
Whaddabout when you are not home? After I got the 24x7 question answered, I was going to go with the
"whether you are home or not?" question or the "even when you are gone?" or something along those lines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobo View Post
.. surprised that the OP's motor didn't burn out (assuming it was on 24/7 for 2 months).
I'll bet you dollars to donuts that your "motor" would be more likely to burn out if you
were running it for an hour at three different locations in the day ( total 3 hours )
that the 3-hr-motorr would burn out way faster than the 24x7 motor.

Old 08-25-2012, 05:12 AM

Yeah, 24/7 for 2 reasons. 1. We have 2 floors and even at night, our bedroom on the 2nd floor was hot and 2. We have dogs so even when we weren't home, we didn't want them to fry.

I wondered about it being bad for the system but my fiancé who deals with motors at work said it was ok as a constant load to the system is better than turning it on and off all the time. But like I said, we're new to this. He tried to install a thermostat but had some issues with it because of how it's wired up so we had to go the old fashioned route this summer. Frankly, I wasn't convinced that the fan was even running a lot but what do I know?

Our electricity bill was still half what it was when we had refrigerated air in our former rental so it didn't seem outrageous to leave it on.

I'm open to change though so if the consensus is that we shouldn't leave it on all the time, I will defer to long time users.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque