Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 08:15 PM

145 posts, read 481,356 times

Advertisements

Coming from the Seattle area I was excited about the idea of low cost groceries at imagined local stores. Whoa ha hehe….. I could not believe when all that was to be had was the miserable Albertsons and another version of Kroger (smiths) Kroger has systematically destroyed every chain they have taken over. Pricing at these monopoly chains is absurd not to mention You are now expected to pay gourmet price for there on low qual name brands. For example Philly cream cheese. Albertsons may cost 2.38-2.50 vs reasonable paid price at competitive chain 1.38. S & W canned garbanzos 1.25 vs .58.Tilimook 2lb block cheddar 7.50 vs 4-4.98. The list goes on. These are regular price at Winco an Oregon store that has stores in some western states. It is clean but not fancy.
My gripe is in a city as large as Albuquerque we should be able to get this kind of competition. I will not stoop to WalKrap. I have been scouring ABQ since getting here a week ago and have found nothing. Please help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2007, 11:36 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,916,612 times
Well there is the Sunflower Market, and I believe (not sure) that this is a more local grocery. There are a handful of local groceries around town, but I have always found their prices to be a bit higher than the chains.

Old 09-30-2007, 08:20 AM

416 posts, read 1,399,204 times
I've tried Albertson's twice and didn't care for them. They are overpriced. Smith's I've gone to a few times, but only because I knew I couldn't get the stuff at WalMart. I never thought I'd prefer WalMart over a regular grocery store, but I do in this case. The produce is good sometimes and downright horrid at other times, but for the most part I can at least get the staples for our house. Maybe "stooping" to a Super WalMart isn't such a bad idea. I'd prefer a Whole Foods or Trader Joes, but they just aren't very close.

Old 09-30-2007, 10:00 AM

266 posts, read 1,333,486 times
I think your options in this case are pretty much limited to Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, and Wild Oats (which I think was actually just bought out by Whole Foods). Farmer's markets are great, but obviously you can't always get what you're looking for year-round. Sunflower is good, as is La Mañanita Co-Op on Rio Grande (I'm not entirely sure this is still there - I haven't been down to the valley in some time). There is another co-op in Nob Hill, south of Carlisle on Silver. Wal-Mart is competitive in terms of pricing obviously, but the Super WalMarts are not always convenient to drive to depending on where in town you are, and the times I've shopped there I've never been happy with the quality of produce or meat. Bottom line is, it's tough to get quality groceries for cheaper in this city.

Old 09-30-2007, 02:47 PM

416 posts, read 1,399,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJ View Post
I think your options in this case are pretty much limited to Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, and Wild Oats (which I think was actually just bought out by Whole Foods). Farmer's markets are great, but obviously you can't always get what you're looking for year-round. Sunflower is good, as is La Mañanita Co-Op on Rio Grande (I'm not entirely sure this is still there - I haven't been down to the valley in some time). There is another co-op in Nob Hill, south of Carlisle on Silver. Wal-Mart is competitive in terms of pricing obviously, but the Super WalMarts are not always convenient to drive to depending on where in town you are, and the times I've shopped there I've never been happy with the quality of produce or meat. Bottom line is, it's tough to get quality groceries for cheaper in this city.
I don't eat meat so I can't vouch for that! I do agree on the produce...you just never know. Although, I've never been disappointed by the blueberries! Good luck!

Old 09-30-2007, 10:10 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,612,146 times
Does ABQ have a Super Target yet?

Old 09-30-2007, 11:13 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,342,524 times
New Mexico for the most part produces chiles, onions, peanuts, pecans, beef and bit of dairy. Other than that, NADA!

Why would you think food is cheap here?

ABQConvict

Old 10-01-2007, 08:13 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,916,612 times
No, we do not have a super target. Super Target thought that we were not big enough for a Super Target, but instead a second Costco was build here, as well as multiple Sams Clubs and Walmart Super Centers. So, that is the status of Albuquerque shopping.

Old 10-06-2007, 08:47 PM

145 posts, read 481,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
New Mexico for the most part produces chiles, onions, peanuts, pecans, beef and bit of dairy. Other than that, NADA!

Why would you think food is cheap here?

ABQConvict

The entire US produces nothing any more. all food must be shipped. seattle is as far away as you can get. We are in a global economy. Where we are at has nothing to do with food prices (generally speaking).

Old 10-06-2007, 08:54 PM

253 posts, read 1,305,941 times
What about local farmers markets, like the one in Bernalillo on Friday nights? Are they any good, or is all you can get green and red chiles, salted pinon, etc? I am hoping maybe grapes as there are local vineyards, but I know most fruit is not grown locally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque