Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 03:45 PM

52 posts, read 235,432 times

Advertisements

Hi. In my online search for homes, I'm finding a lot of houses with lush green lawns and trees. How feasible is it to keep up maintenance of grass in ABQ/Rio Rancho? Some houses are even listed as having built-in sprinkler systems.

Is this even recommended in this area? What are your feelings about houses with grass and trees? Does anyone grow other types of plants/veggies in their garden?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 04:10 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,182,108 times
Pre-1980 homes tend to have grass. Post-1980 homes tend not to.

We know ABQ metro is running out of water. We don't know how bad or how fast. Grass is not natural and won't survive here without watering in most cases.

I like the look of grass in my yard. I don't like the water bills. Kids don't like to play as much on a pile of gravel and cactus as on grass.

You can grow quite a few different plants here, but we do get winter freezes.

Old 10-27-2007, 05:45 PM

1,566 posts, read 4,423,546 times
When in Rome, do as the Romans do. When in Albuquerque use xeroscape as the locals so.

Old 10-27-2007, 08:24 PM

93 posts, read 473,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger_paul View Post
What are your feelings about houses with grass and trees? Does anyone grow other types of plants/veggies in their garden?
I find it disturbing. This is a desert! I think it is shameless the way so many here have so little respect for the area's environment and climate. In the summer I constantly see my neighbors watering their grass, along with the sidewalk and half the street, at midday. I really wish people wouldn't move here and attempt to recreate the same gardens they had on the east coast, or in california. The desert has its own profound beauty.

Having said that, there are ways to use gray water and to harvest rain water for grow container gardens, veggie gardens, etc. I don't think you'd be able to rely only on rainwater, but you could significantly reduce your water use during a good monsoon season.

Old 10-28-2007, 10:01 PM

47 posts, read 237,199 times
I hate seeing people waste water to have a greener front yard. We are a desert and need to be more like it. They actually fine people quite often for watering during the day and overwatering.

o to answer your question, it is VERY difficult and consumes a lot of water and time for a semi-green lawn.

Old 10-29-2007, 10:02 AM

Thanks all for the advice. It didn't really make sense to me when I saw pictures of houses with green lawns. I always thought the greener side of new mexico were mostly the pristine chile fields, which I love by the way, and the Lincoln National Forest which is amazing.

If I do move out to the area, I would definitely look into xeriscaping. zeroscaping as someone mentioned to me awhile back seems to actually be detrimental to the soil as it keeps the ground hotter and depletes moisture. So, xeriscaping seems the way to go.

There's a house that interest me in RR and it's got a backyard full of grass and fruit trees, that's one of the reasons I asked about grass in ABQ/RR. I guess it will take a lot of work to convert that backyard to xeriscape.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abqsunport View Post
I would say UNM is a pretty safe campus to live on. There are occasionally drunken fights, but you will find that at almost any state college in the country.
as long as they stay off the green grass. lol. j.k. silly attempt at keeping the grass thread alive.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:56 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,724,485 times
Lush lawns and green trees can be found near UNM. I don't really think it contributes to the crime rate, though.
This is my feeble attempt to get this thread back on topic.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:47 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,917,087 times
Yes, Johnson's Field has a huge swarm of green grass.

Old 11-03-2007, 12:56 PM

823 posts, read 3,688,614 times
What is the long range situation for water in Albuquerque? Are there permanent water restrictions in place?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque