Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 08:33 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,508,898 times

Advertisements

Well said, LordyLordy. Indeed, the only reason I'm over here in Alamo is because GCRMC needed a Respiratory Therapist and apparently were really happy ta see me! Cool.

Evidently it's not that easy ta attract all the hospital workers they need here. So sometimes when they have "one on the line" they throw moving money at them (true in my case ) and roll out the red carpet with "peer review" meetings on their dime et all.

I mean, I was living in Coeur d' Alene, ID, looking for Respiratory Therapy work when this one plopped into my e-mail inbox one late afternoon. What a score because I was starting ta consider truck-driving for a bit, sitting up there in Idaho collecting unemployment. The work world is funny sometimes, huh?

Glad ta score this one because I'm now doing Sleep Tech. work under the umbrella of Cardiopulmonary, which is what I've had my eyes on for 8 years in this field.

And to me New Mexico is a great place ta be, I love it's trailer-trash-ish-ness. I mean, I don't live in one, but I love the live and let live attitudes, the laid-back desert environment, the trees of the Sacramento Mountain region, Smokey Bear park, Billy the Kid land, White Oaks, White Sands, etc., etc.

You have all the land ta open up yer 4 cylinders completely and rap out on the highway. I...I mean rock out on the highway. Lord willin' and the creek don't rise I'll work out my final 7 3/4 years until I retire at 62 and collect SS and my Boeing pension.

Maybe think about buyin' a simpleton house closer to big 'R' time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 07:36 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,919,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
The "next generation" jobs are just not plentiful in New Mexico. Go to careerbuilder.com or dice.com and see how many jobs are available in NM in the IT field. It competes with places like Montana and Wyoming, sadly. The economy is marching into the 21st/22nd century but there are simply not that many employers in NM and not that many jobs in general. States like TX with towns like Austin, Houston and Dallas (for crying out loud, Dallas!) have become tech hubs, so has even Alabama. You have Denver to the North and Phoenix to the West and then onto California. NM is great for vacations and nature but unless you are independently wealthy or have security clearance or are a registered nurse, you are out of luck....
22nd century?

Old 08-01-2014, 07:52 PM

1,400 posts, read 1,845,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqsunport View Post
22nd century?
Well you can't be marching into the 21st century when you are chronologically already in it

Old 08-01-2014, 09:09 PM

1,566 posts, read 4,426,539 times
Since New Mexico has more sunny days than most other states, why hasn't it made meaningful inroads into the solar energy field? From what I've observed, it's just dipping its toes into the water. I haven't seen a master plan nor a concerted effort to take the lead in this potentially lucrative industry. What's the problem?

Old 08-01-2014, 09:17 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,798,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmguy View Post
Since New Mexico has more sunny days than most other states, why hasn't it made meaningful inroads into the solar energy field? From what I've observed, it's just dipping its toes into the water. I haven't seen a master plan nor a concerted effort to take the lead in this potentially lucrative industry. What's the problem?
Briefly, it is not as easy and inexpensive as it sounds... Many of those who stand to profit monetarily push the technology. But there is some progress. Just my opinion... References to follow, maybe...

-------------------------------------------------------------
PNM to add four more solar power plants
PUBLISHED: Monday, June 2, 2014
ENTIRE ARTICLE: PNM to add four more solar power plants | Albuquerque Journal News

Quote:
Public Service Company of New Mexico plans to build four more solar power plants at a cost of $79 million to help it meet the state standard for renewable energy in 2016.
The additional 10-megawatt solar power plants will raise the company’s solar capacity to 107 megawatts, which could provide the power used by 40,000 average homes in a year.

DOE, Sandia pioneer solar energy concept
By Sandia National Labs News Service
PUBLISHED: Monday, June 30, 2014
ENTIRE ARTICLE: DOE, Sandia pioneer solar energy concept | Albuquerque Journal News

Quote:
A soaring structure on the south side of the Department of Energy’s National Solar Thermal Test Facility combines two cutting-edge technologies in concentrating solar energy: Compact Linear Fresnel Reflectors and molten salt thermal storage. Using them together is a pioneering concept.
A team of Sandia National Laboratories and AREVA Solar engineers examines the focal point of the sunlight reflected from the rows of mirrors on the ground. (Randy Montoya/Sandia National Labs)

A team of Sandia National Laboratories and AREVA Solar engineers examines the focal point of the sunlight reflected from the rows of mirrors on the ground. (Randy Montoya/Sandia National Labs)

Today’s Compact Linear Fresnel systems use water or oil as the thermal fluid to capture heat from solar collectors. The hot fluid heats water and converts it into superheated steam to drive a turbine connected to a generator that produces electricity.

Solar energy site proposed for Sandoval County
By Rosalie Rayburn / Journal Staff Writer
PUBLISHED: Tuesday, February 4, 2014
ENTIRE ARTICLE: Solar energy site proposed for Sandoval County | Albuquerque Journal News

Quote:
Public Service Company of New Mexico wants to build a 6.1-megawatt solar energy facility on an 80-acre site northwest of the intersection of Northern Blvd. and Encino Road, west of Rio Rancho.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 08-01-2014 at 09:47 PM..

Old 08-02-2014, 10:17 AM

686 posts, read 1,102,522 times
Quote:
I gather you and Poncho are talking about large scale solar projects, but I wondered the same about why i don't see very many solar panels on houses around here. I was talking to someone about their rooftop system, though, and they said they had a problem this past winter with the system freezing, burst pipes, etc., so maybe that has something to do with it on the residential end?

Are there any large windmill installations in NM? That seems like another natural for this state as windy as it is.

Old 08-02-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westbound and Down View Post
I gather you and Poncho are talking about large scale solar projects, but I wondered the same about why i don't see very many solar panels on houses around here.

Are there any large windmill installations in NM? That seems like another natural for this state as windy as it is.
I see solar panels on houses as well as in yards here in Rio Rancho... Two within maybe 500 yards of my house in the neigborhood...

Wind Turbines. Here is a NM related web site: State Wind Energy Statistics: New Mexico

Number of Wind Turbines: 575 turbines. State Rank: New Mexico ranks 17th for number of utility-scale wind turbines

Old 08-02-2014, 04:47 PM

1,993 posts, read 4,064,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westbound and Down View Post
I gather you and Poncho are talking about large scale solar projects, but I wondered the same about why i don't see very many solar panels on houses around here. I was talking to someone about their rooftop system, though, and they said they had a problem this past winter with the system freezing, burst pipes, etc., so maybe that has something to do with it on the residential end?

Per capita NM is near the top of residential solar installations. Also for Large scale. It is easy to find using Google. I'm on my phone or I'd supply some links. One of the reasons you don't 'see' many is because the majority of our homes are flat roof style. The parapets hide them. We've been involved in 7 projects in the last two years where solar was installed. 5 were flat roofs.

Old 08-03-2014, 05:17 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,189,351 times
Quote:
Since New Mexico has more sunny days than most other states, why hasn't it made meaningful inroads into the solar energy field?
Probably the same reason gun manufacturers aren't setting up shop in Detroit and Chicago. There's little correlation between one isolated statistic and economic development.

There's also been plenty of inroads that escape the notice of most people.

Unirac, the leader in solar panel racking manufacture (at least in the US), is headquartered in Albuquerque.
Zomeworks and Array Technologies, leaders in tracking mounts for solar panels, also are in Albuquerque.
Affordable-Solar.com is one of the leading mail-order houses for solar supplies and it's here too.
Emcore is one of two major US manufacturers of space PV and concentrated-PV cells, and their operations are in Albuquerque.

Given that we're hundreds of miles away from the nearest steel or aluminum mill, the fact these companies survive and thrive here is nothing short of remarkable.

Sandia Labs has also a distinguished track record in both photovoltaics and solar thermal technologies.

Quote:
From what I've observed, it's just dipping its toes into the water. I haven't seen a master plan nor a concerted effort to take the lead in this potentially lucrative industry. What's the problem?
I fail to see how it's potentially lucrative to be a late entrant to a largely commodity business. Panels are dirt cheap by historical standards. We've also built and lost more plants than most states will ever see (Matrix, Advent, Schott).

Old 08-03-2014, 10:11 PM

The COSTCO near Cottonwood Mall has giant solar panels covering their South Parking lot. Free shade! Meanwhile we park in the sun to avoid the traffic...

Costco Wholesale - Westside - Albuquerque, NM | Yelp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque