Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 02:14 PM

71 posts, read 260,745 times

Advertisements

Lots of news coverage on the shooting of Michael Brown has led to the police in Ferguson Missouri being reprimanded. You can read here that the State Highway Police have taken over with a less-brutal approach, unlike the Ferguson police who were brandishing automatic weapons and wearing riot gear to face the protesting public like they were combatants: Peace Restored in Ferguson under New Leadership but Calls to Demilitarize Police Continue

I'm curious if others think what you see happening in Ferguson Missouri is very much the same problem with the police brutality in Albuquerque NM recently covered by the media. For example, see the CNN news article: "Albuquerque police have 'pattern' of excessive, deadly force, report says" Justice Department slams Albuquerque PD's excessive, deadly force - CNN.com

As many people know, there were protests in Albuquerque over the police brutality back in March, and much like what you see happened in Ferguson Missouri, police wearing riot gear were quick to use tear gas to disperse what was a peaceful crowd exercising their first amendment rights:
APD protest brings out hundreds | KOB.com

Same problem exists in both parts of the nation? -- Or do Albuquerquians have much less to be concerned about when it comes to the potential for unnecessary police brutality?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 02:55 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,063,346 times
From what I have read, Ferguson has a lot of other issues. Like a Police force with only 3% African-American officers while the city is 60% African-American.

As far as a peaceful crowd exercising their rights?

From the article you posted.

Quote:
Protesters climbed on top of everything from lightpoles to a Nob Hill police sub station.

Vandalism was also seen throughout the area.

Protesters also tried to overtake I-25 and Central, but the area was quickly cleared.

Old 08-15-2014, 02:58 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,273,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero View Post
Lots of news coverage on the shooting of Michael Brown has led to the police in Ferguson Missouri being reprimanded. You can read here that the State Highway Police have taken over with a less-brutal approach, unlike the Ferguson police who were brandishing automatic weapons and wearing riot gear to face the protesting public like they were combatants: Peace Restored in Ferguson under New Leadership but Calls to Demilitarize Police Continue

I'm curious if others think what you see happening in Ferguson Missouri is very much the same problem with the police brutality in Albuquerque NM recently covered by the media. For example, see the CNN news article: "Albuquerque police have 'pattern' of excessive, deadly force, report says" Justice Department slams Albuquerque PD's excessive, deadly force - CNN.com

As many people know, there were protests in Albuquerque over the police brutality back in March, and much like what you see happened in Ferguson Missouri, police wearing riot gear were quick to use tear gas to disperse what was a peaceful crowd exercising their first amendment rights:

Same problem exists in both parts of the nation? -- Or do Albuquerquians have much less to be concerned about when it comes to the potential for unnecessary police brutality?

The shops that were looted, vandalized and burned down didn't think the protest were very peaceful.
I'm sure the innocent guy who was severely beaten by the protesters did not think the protest was very peaceful either.

Old 08-16-2014, 09:02 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero View Post

First of all; your subject title would suggest you are talking about the entire state of Mo, but in reality this story is about one very small little town, but more than just one problem.

Second you are believing all you are reading via the media and really have no honest details. None of us really do. My guess, you are believe this because you want to think it was strictly the fault of the police.

third: you claim peaceful demonstrations: luting which is the same as robbery or burglary is anything but peaceful.

forth: seeing little kids carrying sign and taking part in demonstrations, to me, is totally uncalled for and creating bigger problems.

fifth and maybe most important: there are bad apples in every profession. Was the cop wrong? I don't know and neither do you? Is he a bad cop? again, right now we don't know and is there more to the story than some jerk stealing cigars, again, we don't know. Hopefully soon. It still is premature to suggest police brutality.

Old 08-16-2014, 11:06 AM
JBM

567 posts, read 1,099,120 times
Yes, there are problems with the police in ABQ, but as of yet, we haven't had the police fire anything more than teargas at protesters and one could argue that the ABQ Police handled our protests better than the police have been doing in MO in that they never fired rubber bullets and injured protesters. That's not to say we should ignore the problems with our local police, but I think it is generally better to focus on each problem individually. Maybe the problems are linked in the grand scheme of things, but at the local level, each location has specific, individual problems and each city will deal with things differently as time progresses... It is probably best not to compare and instead give individual attention to each police department.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:26 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,701,959 times
Maybe there's more an issue with police across the country than just a few places.

We All Live in Ferguson - Pacific Standard: The Science of Society

Old 08-18-2014, 05:57 AM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,308,236 times
Rioting & looting is never justifiable though.

Old 08-18-2014, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkymonkey View Post
Maybe there's more an issue with police across the country than just a few places.

We All Live in Ferguson - Pacific Standard: The Science of Society
There is more to any story than what we read in a blog or magazine that has a very slanted view on issues.

Have you been watching any of the news shows? Have you gotten information from other media sources? It appears, one of the problems is the way the police dept. has handled the press. They are a small, dept. not accustom to these types of incidents: add to it the media's coverage; at this time there are many unanswered questions.

I do not blame the entire force for what one man might have done unjustly. I do blame those who continue to riot, lute and not respect the curfew. How many of you remember the Rodney Kind riots or how about the Watts riots?

Let me add, I am not supporting this police officer, but I do want to get to the bottom of the issue, I don't another riot like the ones I mentioned and to even think all police forces are over the top is as biased as thinking there is no such thing as a good force.

Could some of the problems with the issues we see today be created by the lack of respect young people have for authority period?

Old 08-18-2014, 08:52 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,883,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

I do not blame the entire force for what one man might have done unjustly. I do blame those who continue to riot, lute and not respect the curfew. How many of you remember the Rodney Kind riots or how about the Watts riots?

Let me add, I am not supporting this police officer, but I do want to get to the bottom of the issue, I don't another riot like the ones I mentioned and to even think all police forces are over the top is as biased as thinking there is no such thing as a good force.

Could some of the problems with the issues we see today be created by the lack of respect young people have for authority period?
Yes. Remember them all and how they dominated the news for days on end. Any excuse to loot, burn, rob--doesn't matter. Watts, King, Katrina...you name it.

And then they wonder why things don't get any better in these areas? Why businesses don't want to open there? Seems to me like they are their own worst enemies.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Yes. Remember them all and how they dominated the news for days on end. Any excuse to loot, burn, rob--doesn't matter. Watts, King, Katrina...you name it.

And then they wonder why things don't get any better in these areas? Why businesses don't want to open there? Seems to me like they are their own worst enemies.
We had just sold our home in Gardena, CA when the Watts riots broke out: thank God we had gone to settlement 3 days before. I am wondering if the sale would ever had gone through, as our little house was in the curfew zone. By then we were living in NO. Ca and I remember too well the coverage. Of course this was way before 24/7 news and modern technology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque