Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 09:56 AM

946 posts, read 3,269,718 times

Advertisements

Anybody have any thoughts on Breaking Bad? (A new series on AMC)

It is about a middle class chemistry teacher turning to drug manufacturing and dealing. It is violent -- although perhaps less violent than a lot of stuff we see.

I have heard that it is filmed in Albuquerque. Certainly the scenery looks like New Mexico.

My son (an adult) enjoys the show and I have watched it with him. Personally, I could do without it. And I worry a little that it will reinforce negative stereotypes about New Mexico and Albuquerque.

Last edited by Devin Bent; 01-31-2008 at 09:57 AM.. Reason: typos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 10:34 AM

710 posts, read 2,964,861 times
It is filmed here, and set in ABQ. I don't think it will hurt our image as much as COPS did.

Old 01-31-2008, 01:58 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,044,465 times
I think its a good show,I noticed some of it is shot in rio rancho.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:43 PM

710 posts, read 2,964,861 times
The majority of it is shot at ABQ Studios, but you'll see plenty of shots of ABQ and RR. The school he works at is RR HS but the classroom seens are shot at the studio and not the actual school.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:53 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,540,302 times
Default "Breaking Bad" scenary representive of Albuquerque?

Feedback from Breaking Bad viewers--does the scenary on the show accurately show what Albuqueque looks like or, does the show focus on the negative? I have read a lot about the natural beauty of Albuquerque and it's been on my list of travel destinations for awhile now. That said, when I watch the show, Breaking Bad, everything looks very stark, kind of seedy and depressing. Even the main character's house is scary looking! I'm wondering if--due to the nature of the show, they intentionally film more unattractive areas or, is this the "real Albuquerque"? thanks

Old 03-23-2009, 12:18 PM

361 posts, read 1,093,559 times
The area around Albuquerque is one of diametric oppositions - you have the stark desert and you have 10,000 foot high mountains with evergreen forests and Aspen trees galore. You also have very well-to-do neighborhoods and you have poverty stricken neighborhoods.

What you see on Breaking Bad is a reflection of the story that's being told - it's about dealing drugs and the criminal element of anyplace USA. That's television!

ABQ does have bad areas, but there are absolutely beautiful areas too.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:47 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,970,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Feedback from Breaking Bad viewers--does the scenary on the show accurately show what Albuqueque looks like or, does the show focus on the negative? I have read a lot about the natural beauty of Albuquerque and it's been on my list of travel destinations for awhile now. That said, when I watch the show, Breaking Bad, everything looks very stark, kind of seedy and depressing. Even the main character's house is scary looking! I'm wondering if--due to the nature of the show, they intentionally film more unattractive areas or, is this the "real Albuquerque"? thanks
like any city, there are some pretty seedy areas but once you see a sunrise or sunset in the ABQ area you have almost seen heaven, same with the purple mountains. I am sure when America the Beautiful was written they were looking at the ABQ mountains.

Yes, part of it is desert and to some desert isn't the prettiest scenery. FLying into ABQ is really ugly cause you do fly over the southern part of the city and can see the junk and old car dumps. Then you land, you rent the car and you start no or east, even west or south and the true NM shines.

Nita

Old 03-23-2009, 12:59 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,418,556 times
While the settings are definitely identifiably and uniquely Albuquerquean/New Mexican, they are, as casden astutely pointed out, trying to portray the city and its environs through a certain worldview: that of decay and depression.

That decay that you see on the show does indeed exist here. It even has its own charm when viewed in reality and not in the confined, clausterphobic context that the show tries (very successfully and intentionally) to represent.

On the other hand, there are far more beautiful, cheery 'scapes around Albuquerque. Don't judge this city by that portrayal alone. It is interesting that the show always uses very tight shots that give the city a certain look. Albuquerque is really a big-picture type of place, but in the metaphorical sense of the show, all of the characters have a very narrow view and the camera work reflects that brilliantly.

And I must say, they go to pains to make interior domestic spaces look like they were designed by seriously depressed people in the '70's. The drug-dealing kid's house pulls off the un-updated since the '70s thing pretty well (in fact I love that house and its furnishings), but the Chemistry teacher's house makes me want to hang myself. That is, of course meant as a reflection of his depression over his illness and the fact that that is the era in which his life froze; when he forsook his opportunities.

In a nutshell, there is little in the show that comes across as false or faked, but the show is representing a very small fraction of modern Albuquerque.

ABQConvict

Old 03-23-2009, 01:16 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,100,289 times
I know I've posted this link about six jillion times, but
this is what Abuquerque scenary looks like (good and bad):

Flickr: The Albuquerque Pool (http://www.flickr.com/groups/albuquerque/pool/ - broken link)

Let the viewer be the judge.

I've also posted this link almost as much:

Flickr: The New Mexico Pool (http://www.flickr.com/groups/newmexico/pool/ - broken link)

If someone can't find something good in most of the pictures in the above
links, they're just nuts. Nuts, I tell ya.

Search is getting better in flickr. It often finds a town or feature ...

Old 03-23-2009, 01:23 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,859,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Feedback from Breaking Bad viewers--does the scenary on the show accurately show what Albuqueque looks like
No, not really, not the whole area, but I have not watched much of the series, the little bit I saw does not accurately show the area.

You really need to look at some photos people (including me) have posted in this Albuquerque thread: https://www.city-data.com/forum/albuq...to-thread.html

Maybe this thread also: https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-m...nm-photos.html

Then jump on a plane and come out for a few days...

Rich

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 03-03-2012 at 01:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque