Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 02:37 PM

34 posts, read 294,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Informer
LOL.

A small piece of advice - if you care to take it.

In any future attempts to dazzle me with your brilliance - please use the correct spelling. Ad hominem - not - Ad Hominim. LOL

BTW - Sit up and take note.

"The June 2006 issue of Kiplinger's Personal Finance magazine (the site hasn't been updated with this June's issue yet...) just voted Albuquerque #3 in its list of 50 smart, vibrant, fun, and affordable places to live.

Inspired by the road-trip explorations of two creative Washington, D.C. residents, Kiplinger's sought out cities with good home prices, reasonable cost of living, good quality of life, a strong economy, and good health care.

Albuquerque scored 3rd after Nashville, Tennessee (where the creative road-trippers settled) and Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minnesota.

What did they love about our fair city? The river, the cottonwoods, the mountains, the sunsets, and the weather. They appreciated the ability to purchase a home for less than $300,000, and gave a nod to the combination of both art galleries and high tech jobs.

What did they forget to mention? The food, the culture, and the lack of traffic woes.

To be balanced, they also discussed our double-the-national-average violent crime rate, but did mention that it was also dropping faster than the national average... something that we didn't know!

Other honorees included Atlanta, Georgia at #4, Austin, Texas at #5, Kansas City, Kansas at #6, Asheville, North Carolina at #7, Ithaca, New York at #8, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania at #9, and Iowa City, Iowa at #10."

Congrats, ABQ.
So, typing is not my Forte.
Thank you for pointing it out.
However, my points continue to be made.
Please read many of my other posts. While I am angry and bitter (and not without cause), I do give the state its due. I do balance by praising the many wonderful people in NM, and advise to "check it before you leap".
However, the Best damned Green chile and the best **** sunsets in the world are not enough for a quality of life. The Rio, the cottonwoods, the mountains, the sunsets and the weather are not enough.
For so long NM has been at the bottom of those reports you cite. Low in scholastic achievement. Low in wages. Low in ownership of houses. High in number of out of wedlock births. Low in prenatal care. High number of children without healthcare. Low access to health care. High drunk driving rates, and fatalities. High rates of child abuse and neglect.
And your methamphetamine problem is growing by leaps and bounds.
Most of all, it is the meanness that is one of the biggest problems in New Mexico. Folks are just plain mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2006, 03:12 PM

142 posts, read 731,463 times
Default Disenchanted...

I just don't see how you remain in a city (or state for that matter) that you feel so despairingly about.

I could not do it.

Old 05-09-2006, 04:21 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,245,835 times
Quote:
I just don't see how you remain in a city (or state for that matter) that you feel so despairingly about.

I could not do it.
Depending on one's job and situation, not everyone has the luxury of being able to pack up and move whenver they want. I'd love to leave where I'm at now. Doing so and finding a way to make a living is easy to say, harder to do.

There are certainly lots of good things about New Mexico, but in my experience unless you are pretty well off financially and can afford to be very choosy about where you live, where your kids go to school, etc., the bad outweighs the good in most parts of New Mexico. It's a rather hard place for lower to middle-income families to live.

But hey, if you're rich, life is easy no matter where you are.

Old 05-09-2006, 05:30 PM

Default Agreement

Yes, money must make a difference.

To Informer: I am curious how my typing/spelling affects your response being a personal attack. There are many typographical errors found on this site, and the meaning is not lost.

Old 05-09-2006, 06:06 PM

Arrow Disenchanted...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disenchanted
Yes, money must make a difference.

To Informer: I am curious how my typing/spelling affects your response being a personal attack. There are many typographical errors found on this site, and the meaning is not lost.
Mea Culpa - "absolutely marvelous" - an old Latin phrase loosely translated as - "I admit to my mistake." Touche'

One skill that must be mastered is the correct use of the English language. IMHO it is the most powerful tool anyone can use.

Money, some have it - some don't...big deal.

"However - lack of "it" (money) is no excuse for being like an unemployed school teacher, - No Class."

My above statement is not a personal attack on anyone just a statement.

Also I'am one of the - "some-don'ts"...

Old 05-10-2006, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Mea Culpa - "absolutely marvelous" - an old Latin phrase loosely translated as - "I admit to my mistake." Touche'

One skill that must be mastered is the correct use of the English language. IMHO it is the most powerful tool anyone can use.

Money, some have it - some don't...big deal.

"However - lack of "it" (money) is no excuse for being like an unemployed school teacher, - No Class."

My above statement is not a personal attack on anyone just a statement.

Also I'am one of the - "some-don'ts"...
I am capable of admitting both mistake and ingorance (that state of unknowingness). But, what can I say? My entire education has been in New Mexico. My father was born in NM. By accident of gestation, I was born elsewhere, but I've been in NM for 48 years. I have loved NM and been a strong advocate for it, and never wanted to be anywhere else. I have studied her history, anthropology, mythology. I thrilled to the ideas in NM This is where humanity on this continent was pushed back by Folsum & Clovis cultures. The oldest continuously inhabited city is here at Acoma. It is also the birth place of the Atomic Age. What incredible things converge here.
NM came into being January 12, 1912 as a second class state due to an Enabling Clause that keeps it firmly under the thumb of outside interests. In many ways, NM seems determined to remain second class.
And I've fought hard to get NM equal footing. I have aggitated and marched and written and protested on NM behalf. And I have been spat on for my skin being the wrong color, or my accent (completely acquired in NM) did not fit a preconceived notion of authentic. I have been physically battered and assaulted. I have been derided, and cursed. I have given up.
Intollerant? Perhaps. Perhaps I have been taught intollerance.
After all, I'm a New Mexican. This is where I learned to be who I am.
Comprende, Amigo?

Old 05-11-2006, 12:23 AM

Arrow Disenchanted...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disenchanted
I am capable of admitting both mistake and ingorance (that state of unknowingness). But, what can I say? My entire education has been in New Mexico. My father was born in NM. By accident of gestation, I was born elsewhere, but I've been in NM for 48 years. I have loved NM and been a strong advocate for it, and never wanted to be anywhere else. I have studied her history, anthropology, mythology. I thrilled to the ideas in NM This is where humanity on this continent was pushed back by Folsum & Clovis cultures. The oldest continuously inhabited city is here at Acoma. It is also the birth place of the Atomic Age. What incredible things converge here.
NM came into being January 12, 1912 as a second class state due to an Enabling Clause that keeps it firmly under the thumb of outside interests. In many ways, NM seems determined to remain second class.
And I've fought hard to get NM equal footing. I have aggitated and marched and written and protested on NM behalf. And I have been spat on for my skin being the wrong color, or my accent (completely acquired in NM) did not fit a preconceived notion of authentic. I have been physically battered and assaulted. I have been derided, and cursed. I have given up.
Intollerant? Perhaps. Perhaps I have been taught intollerance.
After all, I'm a New Mexican. This is where I learned to be who I am.
Comprende, Amigo?
I'am truly sorry to hear this, - if any of my words appeared to to you as a malicious attack - I sincerely appologize for my insensitivities.

One little paultry piece of wisdom if I may, - never give up on yourself!

Old 05-11-2006, 07:13 AM

Default Accepted

I accept you appology, and wish you the best.

Old 05-12-2006, 07:19 AM

28 posts, read 196,414 times
Disenchanted
I am also a bad speller, I try. To anyone offended by poor spelling...you may not want to read this.
Sorry for jumping in about Florida, I was venting steam. It is dissapointing to hear how much you dislike New Mexico. Having been raised on the Colorado New Mexico border, Oh how I miss it out there. Guess it is always greener on the other side of the fence. I agree you have major crime. Worse than where I live in Florida for sure. I agree about the dry air. Living in a humid enviroment is great for the skin. Really I was trying to throw a little humor your way with true experiences we have wittnessed here.
Actually I find many great things down here. Went fishing on my buddies boat last weekend offshore. Caught 3 Red Grouper and a 4' black fin shark. The water is crystal clear at the beach right now cause of lack of rain. Great snorkeling and divinig. We have 6 acers in North Florida on the Santa Fe river where we camp. It is truley a secret paradise full of springs. I usually do not talk about that place. Like to keep it unknown.
I am sure you have plenty of good out there in your life. I like to bad mouth Florida to try and keep people away. Know what I mean?

Old 05-22-2006, 11:21 PM

9 posts, read 27,730 times
Quote:
LOL.

BTW - Sit up and take note.

"The June 2006 issue of Kiplinger's Personal Finance magazine (the site hasn't been updated with this June's issue yet...) just voted Albuquerque #3 in its list of 50 smart, vibrant, fun, and affordable places to live.

Inspired by the road-trip explorations of two creative Washington, D.C. residents, Kiplinger's sought out cities with good home prices, reasonable cost of living, good quality of life, a strong economy, and good health care.

Albuquerque scored 3rd after Nashville, Tennessee (where the creative road-trippers settled) and Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minnesota.

What did they love about our fair city? The river, the cottonwoods, the mountains, the sunsets, and the weather. They appreciated the ability to purchase a home for less than $300,000, and gave a nod to the combination of both art galleries and high tech jobs.

What did they forget to mention? The food, the culture, and the lack of traffic woes.

To be balanced, they also discussed our double-the-national-average violent crime rate, but did mention that it was also dropping faster than the national average... something that we didn't know!
Wow, I'm sorry, but I just have to respond to this! First of all, I'm not sure if this poster is a native born New Mexican or a "transplant" from elsewhere? At any rate, to add my .02....
*I take all of these surveys and 'lists' with a grain of salt. So a couple of Washington DC residents took a road trip, were dazzled by the beauty of NM and over their weekend they perused the paper looking at the housing market? Meanwhile what happened to the attributes: "low cost of living, good quality of life, strong economy and good healthcare"? Because I can tell you for sure that none of that is to be found in NM!
*You state the roadtrippers "love the river"....what river, you mean the dry creekbed of the Rio Grande....I wouldn't really call it a river in the Alb area. More often than not it's dried up and brown....oh, you could go down to Tingley "beach"....if you're not afraid of taking your life into your hands.... oh, and along the river is where all those lovely non-native cottonwoods exist, nemesis of many an allergy sufferer....
*Agreed...the only wonderful thing about New Mexico is it's beauty...outside of Alb, however...the mountains, sunsets are great. Northern NM is especially beautiful....my favorite place in the summer.....El Vado lake....a week in a cabin; in a boat on the lake.....
*Excuse me.... where are all these high tech jobs....are you aware of how many companies....AOL, Honeywell, GE, Gateway, even Intel.....have either closed their Alb site or laid off huge amounts of people???
*And I have to comment on this: "the lack of traffic woes"....excuse me, do you actually live in Albuq? The commute from west side to east side and vice versa is a nightmare! And forget living in the far NE Heights and not spending a good 45min trying to get to work in the morning! Live in Rio Rancho, you say....well that's easily an hr, without any traffic snarls. Oh, please do not forget the constant road construction....it ain't for nothin' that Alb's nickname (one of 'em) is the "city of orange barrels".
*While they claim the crime rate is dropping, all I see and hear is the same old thing: gangs, drugs, violent crimes.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque