Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2015, 12:02 PM

1,796 posts, read 2,227,120 times

Advertisements

I recently was near Tijeras, and had never been there (moved to NM a year and a half ago).
My wife works as a secretary at a UNM branch campus way out of town, and she could transfer to the main campus in ABQ easily. I'm a schoolteacher and we're looking to move to ABQ area.
Seems even charming, just on a quick look around.
I was amazed at the difference between the Tijeras area (esp. near Cibola National Forest) and downtown ABQ, yet downtown in 15 minutes or so with NO traffic at night. (I timed it on my way out.) I'm SURE that will not be the case at rush hour in winter. We are used to big city traffic, and bad weather though.
On a map for us fifty-somethings, it's perfect. Proximity to downtown but out in the country/mountains. Also amazed at the lack of development. Wonderful.
Thoughts? What am I missing here? thanks all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 12:38 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
I recently was near Tijeras, and had never been there

My wife works as a secretary at a UNM branch campus way out of town, and she could transfer to the main campus in ABQ easily. I'm a schoolteacher and we're looking to move to ABQ area.
Seems even charming, just on a quick look around.

I'm SURE that will not be the case at rush hour in winter. We are used to big city traffic, and bad weather though.

Thoughts? What am I missing here? thanks all.
We know two families who live or have lived in Tijeras. One family moved back to ABQ for the big city feel. It's a personal choice. We have looked at a few homes in Tijeras and area just to have something to do. Look them up on Zillow, then drive by to see the area. We have had one rural home in the past. We are just "City" folks.

Some major threads:
Tell Me About The Tijeras Area
Moving to Tijeras
How Is The Tijeras To ABQ Drive?
Weather in Tijeras
Thoughts on East Mountains - Tijeras, Cedar Crest, Edgewood

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 01-12-2015 at 12:56 PM..

Old 01-12-2015, 12:57 PM

terrific....thanks much.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:30 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,610,480 times
I have a client who currently lives up off Paseo in the NE heights, he's building out near Tijeras. He was thrilled with the idea of having acerage.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:03 AM

265 posts, read 808,291 times
My husband and I chose the East Mountains 10 years ago, and we love living out here! I'm sure others on this board are tired of hearing me say this, but we find it infinitely preferable to living in town. It's beautiful, quiet, safe and laid back. We enjoy the generous space between homes, trees, privacy, friendly rural feel, and lack of traffic. We can easily access the city, the big box stores and the airport without having to live in town.

Townies will warn you of "monster snow storms" out here, but we just don't get the heavy snowfalls any more, as in decades past. Yes, we get more snow than down in town, and I do recommend owning a vehicle with 4-wheel or all-wheel drive, and putting more rugged "country" tires on it. But Tijeras, down in the canyon, gets even less accumulation than higher areas like Cedar Crest and Sandia Park.

There can be some drawbacks, of course. You will be sharing your land with wildlife, including coyotes and sometimes bears. You have to exercise caution on behalf of your pets to avoid possibly dangerous confrontations. Living near national forests means wildfire season causes us real concern, particularly during the last 3 severe drought years. I've often thought the state question should be changed from "Red or Green?" to, "Do You Smell Smoke?"

And you don't want to assume that city-type utility services are universally available. When looking at homes, ask about the water service available. Entranosa Water service is infinitely preferable to having your own well. Cable TV and internet, or even DSL internet, are not available in all areas, so if these are important to you, be sure to ask. PNM electric is less expensive than the rural electric co-op, and NM Gas is less hassle than a propane tank. And certain areas are "black holes" for cell phone service. (I mention these considerations in case you haven't lived in a rural area before.)

But, even with these caveats, there's nowhere else we'd rather live!

Old 01-14-2015, 07:14 AM

887 posts, read 1,214,424 times
I've looked often too at homes in the east mountain area. Commuting would not be an issue to me as I'd be retired. There is much to like including the acreage but in the end I could probably never pull the trigger. The reason may not mean much to many but for me I just so much prefer the view of the Sandias from the west side.

Old 01-14-2015, 07:38 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by threecats407 View Post
I've looked often too at homes in the east mountain area. Commuting would not be an issue to me as I'd be retired. There is much to like including the acreage but in the end I could probably never pull the trigger. I just so much prefer the view of the Sandias from the west side.
I understand....

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 01-14-2015 at 09:05 PM..

Old 01-14-2015, 07:50 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,509,537 times
Beautiful dog Poncho, thanks for posting!

Old 01-19-2015, 09:50 AM

I was also quite surprised that, due to proximity to ABQ, that it hasn't "taken off." (Not that I'm complaining). Looks pretty great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque