Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 08:34 PM

5 posts, read 7,110 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be relocating to Albuquerque in roughly a month with my dog, two cats and my significant other. He is accepting a job at UNM and I am in the process of getting a job there as well. I am coming from Cincinnati, Ohio and have never visited Albuquerque though I have been looking for quite some time.

We have located a few places near the campus in our price range but have found some cheaper downtown. What is the area like near the BioPark, particularly around Lead Avenue? I currently live in a densely populated area (though not downtown) and I am used to the small crime and the occasion panhandling. Is the area good for walking?

Is it customary here that landlords will allow you to break up the deposit instead of one large sum? With our pets the up front amount will be a bit out of our reach as we have many other costs associated with the relocation. Here many property owners will allow tenants to pay it over 3-5 months.

I am also looking for suggestions on things to do to experience the city and to meet people. We will be alone in New Mexico. We hope to start hiking and enjoying parks with our husky mix. We also play a lot of video games and table top gaming. Bars and nightlife isn't really interesting but I like to visit history spots and love trying new food.

Thanks for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2015, 10:40 PM

150 posts, read 253,873 times
Congratulations on his job at UNM and your upcoming move to ABQ! Lead Avenue is a mixed bag between downtown and biopark, with rundown but cute little duplexes mixed in with nice old bungalows and some new construction. You are basically downtown, which is a bit sketchy at night.

The neighborhood is much much cuter at least six blocks north (beautiful craftsman houses) or at least six blocks east (Albuquerque Country Club neighborhood, which reminds me of modest parts of Beverly Hills).

That entire area is walkable.

Nob Hill and the area around UNM are also very walkable and very characterful neighborhoods. You might prefer to live there so you can walk to campus. Lovely café scene and more to do at night than downtown, although downtown is emerging.

Uptown is also newly walkable because they've built and are continuing to build some very nice new shopping centers (ABQ Uptown and Winrock) that mimic walkable neighborhoods.

I've made lots of friends in Albuquerque through meetup.com groups. Surprisingly easy to make friends in Albuquerque. People are humble and nonjudgy.

Last edited by Abraxas; 01-17-2015 at 10:58 PM..

Old 01-18-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraxas View Post
The neighborhood is much much cuter at least six blocks north (beautiful craftsman houses) or at least six blocks east (Albuquerque Country Club neighborhood, which reminds me of modest parts of Beverly Hills).
Correction – I meant to say Albuquerque Country Club neighborhood is about 6 blocks WEST

Old 01-18-2015, 02:22 PM

Thanks for the input! I greatly appreciate it.

I think I am leaning toward the UNM area especially with coffee shops.

What is the area just north east of the airport like, particularly around Claremont? I can't tell if that's considered close to south UNM or not. Wish I had the time and money to visit before picking a place.

I'm really looking forward to the new culture. I'll check out the meetup for sure.

Old 01-18-2015, 05:31 PM

I'm not familiar with a Claremont near the airport. Do you have a cross street or address?

I usually tell people that for an urban person, crime in Albuquerque is so mild but that it need not factor in to where you live in most cases. This is particularly true for areas north of the 40 freeway, which is most of Albuquerque. The exception is for cases like yours, where you are looking for bargains in older areas around Central Avenue because most crime in Albuquerque is concentrated in certain pockets East of San Mateo Ave., both along Central Avenue and just northeast of the airport.

Fortunately, things are much better West of San Mateo Ave., especially around elegant Ridgecrest Drive. It's one of my favorite neighborhoods anywhere, and I'm writing this today from Palo Alto, California, where I split my time.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 01-19-2015 at 12:04 PM..

Old 01-18-2015, 07:10 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,788,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbear View Post

What is the area just north east of the airport like, particularly around Claremont? I can't tell if that's considered close to south UNM or not. Wish I had the time and money to visit before picking a place.

I'm really looking forward to the new culture. I'll check out the meetup for sure.
Enchanted Park area? Claremont Avenue and Chelwood Park Blvd area? Way Northeast of the airport. Almost to Tramway. Candelaria and Juan Tabo is a major intersection. That's a nice/decent area.

Google Map: http://goo.gl/maps/rGCmv

Old 01-19-2015, 12:25 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,701,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbear View Post

I live west of Downtown and walk to numerous coffee shops, here are some less than a mile from my house and, for the most part, an easy walk.

- Java Joe's
- Flying Star Downtown
- The Brew
- Espresso Fino
- Zendo
- Starbucks

There's a few others but they're a little harder to walk to from Lead without needing to cross Central at unpleasent places. Of course the coffee shops near UNM have a lot more students than the ones downtown.

Old 01-19-2015, 02:39 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,619,987 times
Be careful with rentals on Chelwood Park. That road has more bad pockets than good areas. The UNM area off Central and off Lomas, between UNM and Presby Hospital is pretty neat, IMO.

OP, is there anyway you can come down and stay in an extended stay hotel for a week or three while you look? Many are pet friendly. I stayed at the Studio 6 on Osuna, just off I-25/San Mateo. Good area and easy to explore from. Pet friendly.

You're in for some culture shock, moving here from Ohio, and there is so much variety in neighborhoods that you might like the city overall much better from Day One if you can rent in an area you've seen firsthand and like. Especially since you haven't visited here first.

What is your price range, and will you need public transportation? We might be able to recommend good areas with a little more info.

Old 01-19-2015, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Enchanted Park area? Claremont Avenue and Chelwood Park Blvd area? Way Northeast of the airport. Almost to Tramway. Candelaria and Juan Tabo is a major intersection. That's a nice/decent area.

Google Map: http://goo.gl/maps/rGCmv
Oh, yes that's where I meant! I had been simply glancing at Google maps so it appeared closer- good to know! The prices also seem reasonable there.

@funkymonkey thanks for the list! Nothing like a quick walk for a coffee.

yukon my fiancé is not keen on the idea, unfortunately.

We would like to stay under $900 for now. The hard part is having a fenced in yard. My dog is pretty active and doesn't care for other dogs. We have actually been looking further out the last few evenings particularly in Los Lunas and toward Edgewood. We are both more accustomed to a 30-40 minute drive. All of the space for the price is nice. Do you have any suggestions heading out in those directions?

Thanks for your help everyone!

Last edited by sunbear; 01-19-2015 at 07:02 PM..

Old 01-20-2015, 03:51 PM

1,797 posts, read 2,236,784 times
I came from Ohio myself a year and a half ago. It'll be a shock. Some good, some bad.
Also, rents (for houses) are higher overall than for similar properties in Ohio. Apartments? Don't know. But I do think you get less for your money housing-wise in ABQ than in Ohio. All part of the trade-off.
But welcome aboard. No Skyline Chili locations here, but they'll ship to you, right? ;-)
You'll also love ABQ's numerous dog parks. North Domingo Baca dog park in northern ABQ is terrific, in a great neighborhood. We don't live there but we always stop out there with our little dog, sometimes even later at night. Bring that dog out and get it socialized!
Best of luck.

Last edited by kpl1228; 01-20-2015 at 04:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque