Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 03:53 AM

14 posts, read 184,301 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to know which border towns in Mexico, south of Albuquerque, were good to shop at and which ones to avoid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 05:23 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times
All of Mexico is south of Albuquerque. Just take the expressway south to Ciudad Jurarez. Do your shopping soon while the dollar still has some value.

Old 01-11-2008, 08:40 AM

382 posts, read 1,227,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMTM View Post
I just wanted to know which border towns in Mexico, south of Albuquerque, were good to shop at and which ones to avoid.
Juarez is ~4 hours south of Abq, just south of El Paso, Tx. Depending on what you are looking for, it might be worth the drive. There is a current travel advisory for Americans due to the increased drug crime on the border.
We drove down last summer with the kids, and were advised not to take our vehicle across the border due the chance of it getting stolen. We were further advised not to walk too far off the main "avenida", due to the threat of violence and kidknapping. The stores on the main drag are not too much different than a large collection of stores just north of Juarez in El Paso. In fact, it is hard to differentiate between and Texas and Mexico. The shops were very similar, carrying the same general merchandise, and accepted either Pesos or Dollars.

Good luck.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:36 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,495,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trappedinNM View Post
Juarez is ~4 hours south of Abq, just south of El Paso, Tx. Depending on what you are looking for, it might be worth the drive. There is a current travel advisory for Americans due to the increased drug crime on the border.
We drove down last summer with the kids, and were advised not to take our vehicle across the border due the chance of it getting stolen. We were further advised not to walk too far off the main "avenida", due to the threat of violence and kidknapping. The stores on the main drag are not too much different than a large collection of stores just north of Juarez in El Paso. In fact, it is hard to differentiate between and Texas and Mexico. The shops were very similar, carrying the same general merchandise, and accepted either Pesos or Dollars.

Good luck.
Car stolen, Don't walk off the main road due to the threat of violence and kidnapping and can't differentiate between Texas and Mexico , I'll be right their to go shopping.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:51 PM

2,308 posts, read 2,586,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman18 View Post
Why don't you shop in Albuquerque and support America that's where you live at?
Exactly! Thank you!

Old 01-11-2008, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
That are south of Albuquerque??

Just how far south do you mean as Mexico is about 280 miles south of Albuquerque.
IMTM appears to be "geographically disadvantaged" I thought the same thing, so like how far south do you want to go? In-state or Mexico? Thanks to trappeninNM for giving IMTM a map link. I sure hope that IMTM knows his north from his south. Only kidding, no retortful posts needed.

Old 01-11-2008, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman18 View Post
Car stolen, Don't walk off the main road due to the threat of violence and kidnapping and can't differentiate between Texas and Mexico , I'll be right their to go shopping.
Good one. I like the comedy on this forum. Now, if you could only get into the Writers Union you might have a career in television, oh I forgot, the writers are on strike. Hey, you could be a replacement just like during the NFL strike, ah work stoppage.

Old 01-11-2008, 11:25 PM

1,418 posts, read 4,916,612 times
Give this poster a break. Yes he lives in America, but he also lives under God on this planet. One should have compassion for everybody, not just fellow Americans. Believe or not, a life lost in Mexico is just as detrimental to a family as is a life lost in America. So if the poster wants to save a money, and help a far less fortunate person by doing business in Mexico, than he has every right to.

Second, the Poster clearly meant South as in, the closes ones. He obviously meant that he would be heading from Albuquerque, so which border town is the best that is reasonably close. Now, by living here, we all know the only one that really exists is Juarez. The one by Columbus, New Mexico does have anything to. Palomas (by Tucson) is probably too far.

Sure the wording was bad, but the core of his question wasn't that hard to understand.

Old 01-11-2008, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abqsunport View Post
Give this poster a break. Yes he lives in America, but he also lives under God on this planet. One should have compassion for everybody, not just fellow Americans. Believe or not, a life lost in Mexico is just as detrimental to a family as is a life lost in America. So if the poster wants to save a money, and help a far less fortunate person by doing business in Mexico, than he has every right to.

Second, the Poster clearly meant South as in, the closes ones. He obviously meant that he would be heading from Albuquerque, so which border town is the best that is reasonably close. Now, by living here, we all know the only one that really exists is Juarez. The one by Columbus, New Mexico does have anything to. Palomas (by Tucson) is probably too far.

Sure the wording was bad, but the core of his question wasn't that hard to understand.
With all due respect, the replies were in jest and were not intended to cause harm to the OP. There was nothing derogatory or malicious about the posts, just having a little fun. I'm hoping that IMTM does not have onion thin skin to assume otherwise. Again, with all due respect, why is it necessary to bring God into your post? For all you know, IMTM could be an Atheist, Agnostic or a Deist, like me. For a real eye opener, check out my thread "In need of guidance?" on the Religion forum, I'm looking forward to your post.

Old 01-12-2008, 09:21 AM

145 posts, read 481,356 times
as someone else said just head across the rio grande.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque