Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2015, 09:20 AM

7 posts, read 10,005 times

Advertisements

I work on Kirtland AFB and looking to buy a house around Taylor Ranch or Rio Rancho as I just moved from San Diego, CA. I'm a federal employee on the base and wanted to know which area would be better for a family. I know Rio Rancho schools are good but does schools around Taylor good also?

Also which area would people recommend ? Also any Real Estate Agent that know the VA process would anyone recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2015, 09:59 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,181,344 times
Although there are differences between districts, I think you'd end up with pretty similar experiences between the Volcano Vista cluster and Rio Rancho.

Living in either seems a little strange, given you work on the opposite side of the metro. I'd think you could find better deals in better school clusters by living any number of neighborhoods closer. Certainly, people do that commute every day, but they usually have a compelling reason like family in the area.

Taylor Ranch would be smarter for the commute than Rio Rancho, particularly if you're considering BFE parts of Rio Rancho.

Old 08-23-2015, 10:20 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,747,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsjs View Post
I work on Kirtland AFB and looking to buy a house around Taylor Ranch or Rio Rancho
We have lived in Rio Rancho for 15+ years. My wife worked at Kirtland fo 10+ years. Her commute was about 50 minutes one way. (She worked past the golf course, about 7 miles from the Gibson gate.)

Both areas are good but I can't really comment on the difference in schools. I have relatives who went from Kindergarten to College in Rio Rancho. Not that it really matters, but Rio Rancho is in Sandoval County, KAFB, Taylor Ranch, ABQ etc are in Bernalillo County.

I would not deal with any Real Estate Agent that does not know or recommend the VA process. I have met two in the past. I really do not know any agents in this area I can recommend, only because I am out of touch.

Good luck and welcome to New Mexico!

Old 08-23-2015, 12:10 PM

Yeah I work past the gold course on KAFB and it seems like the drive from Taylor is about 25-30 mins. I would like to live on the Eastside but the cost for a house seems a little too high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
Although there are differences between districts, I think you'd end up with pretty similar experiences between the Volcano Vista cluster and Rio Rancho.

Living in either seems a little strange, given you work on the opposite side of the metro. I'd think you could find better deals in better school clusters by living any number of neighborhoods closer. Certainly, people do that commute every day, but they usually have a compelling reason like family in the area.

Taylor Ranch would be smarter for the commute than Rio Rancho, particularly if you're considering BFE parts of Rio Rancho.

Old 08-23-2015, 12:28 PM

May want to consider the Eubank gate and houses in Tijeras and thereabouts; about the same journey and perhaps a little cheaper for comparable distance.

Also should consider the south gate and houses in Mesa Del Sol, SW Albuquerque, Bosque Farms, and even Meadow Lake, if you're willing to commute that far. If you want cheap houses and a reasonable commute, shouldn't overlook this set of options.

Old 08-23-2015, 01:19 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,747,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg View Post
Also should consider the south gate and houses in Mesa Del Sol
The South Valley Gate on KAFB is open from 6 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. and from 3:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m on weekdays. It has been that way for years...

Old 08-23-2015, 08:38 PM

Are those places in the south low crime rates and still have things to do like the westside?

Old 08-24-2015, 08:35 AM

Some of the areas in the south do have high crime rates, but there are also super-nice areas; just have to look.

"things to do like the westside" is something many of us would find funny. While it's far better than it used to be, most of the "things to do" in Albuquerque metro still tend to be east of the river.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque