Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2020, 01:20 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,909,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
ART ridership in the first month was twice the daily weekday average as the Rapid Ride lines it replaced.

https://www.krqe.com/news/albuquerqu...rship-numbers/
And the very first week the service was running (part of a larger time-frame in which there was no charge) is going to be a really typical sample for ridership numbers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2020, 08:33 AM

1,741 posts, read 2,607,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
And the very first week the service was running (part of a larger time-frame in which there was no charge) is going to be a really typical sample for ridership numbers!
There was no guarantee that ART would attract new ridership at all. The fact that it doubled ridership is notable and entirely valid to report and comment about.

The local media and people like you want to report, comment and dwell on every little negative thing about ART, and I'm allowed to post and comment about positive things about it as well.

Old 01-13-2020, 09:40 AM

4,946 posts, read 7,311,101 times
I wonder how they are counting riders when they are not buying tickets. I heard that the doors where people board the ART buses have some kind of technology that counts people, but I wonder how accurate it is. It may be comparing apples to oranges-- comparing the number of tickets sold and passes flashed on the Rapid Ride system, to the electric eye (or whatever) system used on the multiple entryways of ART buses.

I like city councilor Pat Davis' proposal, that fares should be reduced or even free. Kansas City recently made all its buses free.

Old 01-22-2020, 09:03 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,488,115 times
I was on Central last week going to the Two Fools and record shop (got a parking ticket too). Doing a U turn in front of the bus was a little unnerving but ok. It takes a little getting used to.

Old 01-22-2020, 09:59 AM

1,043 posts, read 1,439,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Cabeza View Post
I was on Central last week going to the Two Fools and record shop (got a parking ticket too). Doing a U turn in front of the bus was a little unnerving but ok. It takes a little getting used to.
I live and work in the Nob Hill area and once you get used to it it's not that big of a deal as a driver. It's a little more inconvenient for pedestrians since the crosswalks are a ways apart and crossing at corners without crosswalks feels somewhat less secure. Overall, though, not a huge inconvenience and the bus still seems to be attracting lots of riders.

Old 01-22-2020, 02:07 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,488,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Hibs View Post
I live and work in the Nob Hill area and once you get used to it it's not that big of a deal as a driver. It's a little more inconvenient for pedestrians since the crosswalks are a ways apart and crossing at corners without crosswalks feels somewhat less secure. Overall, though, not a huge inconvenience and the bus still seems to be attracting lots of riders.
What else was confusing(to me anyway) is going east by the fairgrounds the thru traffic lane at the light says buses only but that only takes effect once you go through the traffic light. Does that make sense?

Old 01-22-2020, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Cabeza View Post
What else was confusing(to me anyway) is going east by the fairgrounds the thru traffic lane at the light says buses only but that only takes effect once you go through the traffic light. Does that make sense?
Yeah, that spot is confusing, and even more so if you're heading west on Central. I always see at least two or three cars pulling into the bus-only lane where it begins just west of Louisiana thinking they're in the lane to turn south onto Louisiana. The city needs to put up much bigger signs a lot earlier (like at Wyoming) warning people they're approaching the bus-only lane.

Old 01-22-2020, 11:32 PM
JBM

567 posts, read 1,093,731 times
How have you all been enjoying ART? What have your experiences been like?

So, I've always been a transit user (as well as cyclist/ped/motorist) here. And ART has really changed my habits. It's become pretty instinctual for me to just walk to the ART station and take it up and down Central, even for little things. Before, Rapid Ride was mostly a to/from work thing for me. The step-on and step-off aspect of ART really speeds things up, particularly at the train station. The ART has also extended my bike riding, as I could never get my cumbersome bike to fit into the racks on the Rapid Ride or standard city buses due to its fenders and basket. Now, I roll it right on and it fits perfectly. All in all, ART has been great for reducing my gas/maintenance budget on my VW! Not to mention, the stations feel a lot safer, brighter and less sketchy, even when they're really busy (or completely empty!).

Tonight, I took it westbound at rush hour to go to the west side. From the biopark area past Atrisco, Central had it's usual rush hour traffic over the bridge. It felt so satisfying being on ART, it really flew by all the car traffic. It felt like taking the Orange Line in DC at rush hour. There are still some hiccups here and there, but overall, I've been very, very pleased with ART.

That said, I still haven't been stopped by a fare inspector, though there are notices about them on all the ART buses. I do like the idea of free public transit as well, though there is the argument that a nominal fare helps the population feel more motivated to maintain it/take ownership of it. Idk if that is a concern here. Either way, free fares would certainly help speed up the other bus routes as well. Another issue I have, is that the hours aren't as long as they had been advertised by the past administration. The buses generally stop around 930-10. Which is a bit better than the Rapid Ride, though the original proposal called for ending the service at midnight and at 1am on the weekends. I'm not sure if that's Keller's administration cutting that particular corner or if it's due to the driver shortage, but they really need to have those extended hours.

Old 01-23-2020, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM View Post
How have you all been enjoying ART? What have your experiences been like?

So, I've always been a transit user (as well as cyclist/ped/motorist) here. And ART has really changed my habits. It's become pretty instinctual for me to just walk to the ART station and take it up and down Central, even for little things. Before, Rapid Ride was mostly a to/from work thing for me. The step-on and step-off aspect of ART really speeds things up, particularly at the train station. The ART has also extended my bike riding, as I could never get my cumbersome bike to fit into the racks on the Rapid Ride or standard city buses due to its fenders and basket. Now, I roll it right on and it fits perfectly. All in all, ART has been great for reducing my gas/maintenance budget on my VW! Not to mention, the stations feel a lot safer, brighter and less sketchy, even when they're really busy (or completely empty!).

Tonight, I took it westbound at rush hour to go to the west side. From the biopark area past Atrisco, Central had it's usual rush hour traffic over the bridge. It felt so satisfying being on ART, it really flew by all the car traffic. It felt like taking the Orange Line in DC at rush hour. There are still some hiccups here and there, but overall, I've been very, very pleased with ART.

That said, I still haven't been stopped by a fare inspector, though there are notices about them on all the ART buses. I do like the idea of free public transit as well, though there is the argument that a nominal fare helps the population feel more motivated to maintain it/take ownership of it. Idk if that is a concern here. Either way, free fares would certainly help speed up the other bus routes as well. Another issue I have, is that the hours aren't as long as they had been advertised by the past administration. The buses generally stop around 930-10. Which is a bit better than the Rapid Ride, though the original proposal called for ending the service at midnight and at 1am on the weekends. I'm not sure if that's Keller's administration cutting that particular corner or if it's due to the driver shortage, but they really need to have those extended hours.
According to the published schedules, the buses run till 10 M-Th, till 11 Friday and Saturday, and till 7 on Sunday. I've seen buses running on Central after 10 on weekends, so I think they're keeping pretty close to that. 11 is definitely not as good as 1 AM, but much better than what ABQ Ride was saying back in November...at that point their draft schedule had the buses running till 7 daily.

They've said repeatedly they're in "wait and see" mode and will reassess the schedule in the spring. Hopefully at that point they'll announce late-night service through the summer months at least.

Old 01-23-2020, 01:10 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,607,024 times
Ever since I moved back downtown I don't use the buses as much as I used to when I lived in the Southeast Heights. I accomplish most of my daily needs by walking around Downtown, Barelas and the Raynolds Addition. My trips on ART have mostly been leisure and going shopping, to the Atrisco area and in Uptown, especially to the urban Target. I've yet to ride the entire length of ART, which is something I want to do. The farthest west I've been is the Atrisco station and the farthest east is the Uptown Transit Center. I've never gone up Central past Louisiana. I love ART, though, and it is an absolute improvement to Albuquerque's transit system!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque