U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 10:09 AM

968 posts, read 995,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
While Route 66 is a historic route, the Federal Highway Administration does not own any portion of the route; all of the route is owned and maintained either by state or local governments.
Indeed. "Route 66" hasn't been a federal highway in 30 years.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2016, 11:01 AM

5,938 posts, read 8,883,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Hibs View Post
Indeed. "Route 66" hasn't been a federal highway in 30 years.
Even when Route 66 was an official U.S. Route, the road was still owned and maintained by the states that it traversed, even though it was a Federal-Aid highway. Since decommissioning, many segments have been turned over to local governments, including the portion within the City of Albuquerque.

The Federal Highway Administration doesn't own the U.S. Routes nor the Interstates; both are owned and maintained either by state DOTs or local governments.

Old 04-13-2016, 12:59 PM

16,654 posts, read 19,448,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
Try a dictionary of idioms.
I am familiar with the idiom; my question was rhetorical.

Old 04-14-2016, 04:36 AM

3,690 posts, read 8,049,525 times
Landmarks commission issues with the design of the Central & Walter bus shelter.

Interestingly enough, Central's future problems are being experienced now in San Francisco. Change the word "Mission" to "Central" in the article and it looks prescient.

Old 07-04-2016, 07:03 PM

1,621 posts, read 1,544,715 times
Default "Stop A.R.T."....OK I'll ask it.....WHY? - Albuquerque Rapid Transit

New public transportation infrastructure, in a growing community, through the heart of the city, serving downtown, flagship college, and businesses along the corridor. Sounds all positive, all needed, and good and beneficial for the long term.
But what is so strange to me ( and we had a long discussion on this as we drove down Central last week and saw a "Stop ART classic car show, as well as a slew of "Stop ART" signs throughout Nob Hill) is that the left-of-center shops and mostly liberal residents of Nob Hill seem to be leading the fight. These folks normally tout public transportation as crucial to urban life, lessening reliance on the car and the carbon footprint, etc....yet here they are crying out against it.
Other than short term inconvenience and short term loss of business, what is the true issue here?
(And what's up with the "save the trees" signs tied in to the protest? From what I could tell, these trees on Central are insignificant trees that in size and majesty (and "age") and could be replaced for $50 each at Home Depot.)
What am I missing? Someone sell me on why ART should not happen. Because I truly don't see it.
As a proponent of public transportation, and as a liberal, if my hunch is right I'm shaking my head at the NIMBY hypocritical attitudes of the Nob Hill community over this one. Not to mention the philosophy of community good and short-term sacrifice....so important "till it affects me."
Is it a few specific Nob Hill bigwigs worried about their bottom-line this year that influence the other smaller businesses? Is it smaller businesses desperately trying to hang on that see this as a coffin nail?
Help me out here...because it's just making me shake my head right now.

Old 07-04-2016, 08:11 PM

3,690 posts, read 8,049,525 times
Here's a top 13 list, by no means exhaustive or even in correct order.

1) The city administration stretched the truth and skipped environmental and neighborhood reviews in order to apply for the federal funds.
2) Even if it's federal dollars which some people look upon as free money, it's still a substantial amount of tax spending on a marginal-at-best transportation program.
3) Congestion on Central already ranges from nonexistent to bad, depending on the time of day. Eliminating vehicle lanes is not going to help with this problem. No, the 90% where lanes aren't eliminated doesn't matter.
4) Central is already adequately served with transit, at least to the extent possible with any kind of bus system. In fact, ART as proposed will degrade service on local and rapid ride buses, all the while traveling as slow or slower than they currently do. Speed matters, and regularly scheduled stops are exactly that- stops. The bus won't pull 4 G's accelerating and decelerating, so it will go no faster than cars currently do.
5) The rest of Albuquerque, by comparison, has transit service that is insufficient as compared to Central. ART doesn't make things any easier for the other majority of ABQRide patrons or would-be patrons.
6) Federal funding may pay for the corridor and perhaps even the buses, but the maintenance expenses will saddle the city with outlay that doesn't correlate much to ridership or mobility.
7) For the cost of ART, the city of Albuquerque could purchase enough buses to double its bus fleet, halving or better the wait time between buses systemwide. The feds don't want that kind of pork, just the kind of pork ART purports to be- popular with private construction firms.
8) Trees in the median, installed, irrigated, and maintained, actually cost a lot more than $50 at Home Depot. Probably more than $500 a pop all told. If they have to go for a good reason (that results in more trees being planted elsewhere), then that alone wouldn't be a deal breaker. Still, there's already too much urban heat island effect going on on Central. Trees arrest that a bit.
9) Carbon footprint would go up with ART. More cars idling, accelerating, and braking. Not to mention ART is powered by greenhouse gases itself.
10) The ART debate captures the zeitgeist- the government ignoring the will of the people it's about to inconvenience; objections, even from academics and other respected intellectuals, are shouted over through media spending rather than considered.
11) The cost per additional rider is ridiculously high, and the cost per additional rider-minute is ludicrously high, even assuming the debunked predictions done in the research studies are accurate.
12) It's been discussed earlier in this board, but people are going to die because of ART. Someone's life might be worth 2 minutes off the average commute, but what about dying because of something that increased the average commute by 2 minutes? Then it's all senseless.
13) Downtown San Jose sucks, and it's only because of a project exactly like this. Also discussed earlier in this board.

I don't live in the area of ART but I travel through there frequently to visit friends and conduct business. If ART was a comprehensive plan to get North-South bus service up to the existing standards of Central, I would, along with many others in this town, be far more likely to consider it as an alternative to driving.

Also, with driverless cars on the horizon, traffic everywhere isn't going to continue its inexorable climb to gridlock by 2035 as the planners predict; it's going to plateau and then eventually drop, with parking in congested areas becoming far less difficult to come by. ART simply won't be necessary; technology will leapfrog the need for it.

Upgrading transit can sometimes be painful, and is often contentious. The people of Albuquerque, however, are not being stupid NIMBY for its own sake with regard to ART. They have well-reasoned, technically informed opinions that the city is ignoring. The simple fact is nobody, not even the poor, benefits from ART. Well, except for construction contractors and the politicians they fund.

I hope this information helps you and the pave-paradise but-its-free-money carpetbaggers "see it".

I wonder if anyone makes a T-shirt that says "Stop Half-Assed Rapid Transit", spelling out SHART. I bet they'd sell a few if they did.

Old 07-04-2016, 08:57 PM

3,845 posts, read 4,788,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
But what is so strange to me ( and we had a long discussion on this as we drove down Central last week and saw a "Stop ART classic car show, as well as a slew of "Stop ART" signs throughout Nob Hill) is that the left-of-center shops and mostly liberal residents of Nob Hill seem to be leading the fight.
"Left-of-center shops" still have to worry about remaining in business. Many shop owners reasonably see ART as a threat to their survival. I'm not sure exactly how you tell that a shop is "left-of-center" to begin with, unless they explicitly express their preferences. Even taking the type of business in question, it would be difficult to tell a left/liberal LGBT sex shop from a libertarian one.

The New Mexico Restaurant Association is now on board in opposing ART at least as it stands now:

https://www.nmrestaurants.org/albuqu...ansit-project/

At least some neighborhood groups are not pleased at the inevitable diversion of traffic onto small side streets, as a result of ART.

Old 07-04-2016, 10:50 PM

4,408 posts, read 9,257,403 times
The rest of Albuquerque, by comparison, has transit service that is insufficient as compared to Central. ART doesn't make things any easier for the other majority of ABQRide patrons or would-be patrons.

As a former full-time (no car) bus rider, and a part-time current rider, I totally agree with this statement. THe funds could be better used to expand transit to other parts of the city, as well as run prime routes later and more frequently.

Old 07-05-2016, 12:19 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,203,984 times
Typical classist noise and baby boomers stuck in the past.

Old 07-05-2016, 07:06 AM

3,845 posts, read 4,788,941 times
Less considered ART impact on low income households – Bureau of Business & Economic Research Blog
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or