U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 10:48 AM

5,938 posts, read 8,883,693 times

Advertisements

If the contract with BYD is Mayor Berry's own personal contract, is that even legal? This sounds like a violation of FTA procurement rules if there was no procurement involved.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 12:17 PM

26,465 posts, read 44,530,015 times
ENTIRE ARTICLE: Court order delays ART decision by landmarks board | Albuquerque Journal
By Dan McKay / Journal Staff Writer
Published: Wednesday, July 13th, 2016 at 5:52pm
Updated: Wednesday, July 13th, 2016 at 10:31pm

Quote:
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — Mayor Richard Berry’s administration had hoped to win approval Wednesday from a city landmarks board considering the Albuquerque Rapid Transit project.

But the board couldn’t consider the request – by court order.

Second Judicial District Judge Victor Lopez issued an emergency writ this week directing the City Council to make time to hear an appeal in the case before the landmarks board considers it.

Old 07-14-2016, 01:13 PM

3,214 posts, read 3,010,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alisonrs View Post
Anyway, I'm an outsider and I'm here to ask and learn. Why no hard push for light rail in ABQ? Why fight over an imperfect, partial transit solution like ART instead?
First is the cost. I'm testing my memory, but I recollect that the light rail considered here several years back was $8-10 million per mile. The second is a lack of potential users. ABQ has about 550,000 residents, which greatly reduces the number of potential users. There are maybe 750-800,000 in the whole metro area, and 2 million in the entire state, and I expect few outside of ABQ would be users. You mentioned LA. There are 3.9 million folks in L.A. and 10 million in the LA metro. Phoenix has light rail, with 1.5 million in that city with 3.5-4 million in that metro. Without riders, I expect the the subsidies paid by those of us who would be nonusers would be a quite high.

FWIW, we have heavy rail between ABQ and Santa Fe. Fares cover about 10% of costs, so state residents pay more than $20 for every rider that boards the Railrunner.

Old 07-16-2016, 02:17 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,441,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
First is the cost. I'm testing my memory, but I recollect that the light rail considered here several years back was $8-10 million per mile. The second is a lack of potential users. ABQ has about 550,000 residents, which greatly reduces the number of potential users. There are maybe 750-800,000 in the whole metro area, and 2 million in the entire state, and I expect few outside of ABQ would be users. You mentioned LA. There are 3.9 million folks in L.A. and 10 million in the LA metro. Phoenix has light rail, with 1.5 million in that city with 3.5-4 million in that metro. Without riders, I expect the the subsidies paid by those of us who would be nonusers would be a quite high.

FWIW, we have heavy rail between ABQ and Santa Fe. Fares cover about 10% of costs, so state residents pay more than $20 for every rider that boards the Railrunner.
Why not install a street car system in the city like Portland? Neither light nor heavy rail. I'd also like to see the Road Runner go from Santa Fe to Las Cruces!

Old 07-16-2016, 06:07 PM

5,938 posts, read 8,883,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alloo66 View Post
Why not install a street car system in the city like Portland? Neither light nor heavy rail. I'd also like to see the Road Runner go from Santa Fe to Las Cruces!
That was proposed by Mayor Chavez and had almost unanimous opposition. That ship has already sailed.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:45 AM

142 posts, read 192,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
I have to agree. I've talked to several people who have considered moving here but felt like Albuquerque was too behind the times in several ways, including its transit system.
For a mid-sized city, ABQ's transportation is probably relatively middle of the road. However, the problem with this project and additional resources going to public transport, in general, is that it tends to benefit only certain people. I thought the 'rapid ride' thing was awesome when it first started (10 years ago?), but like most people found the buses to be dirty, filled with intoxicated or obnoxious people, and generally an unenjoyable riding experience. And for being a 'rapid ride,' I could usually get across town quicker on my bicycle. I remember taking a nearly-new bus to work recently and the seats were already stained and dirty on a rig that looked like it had been in service maybe a month. I would really doubt that anyone would make Albuquerque's public transportation a pro or con of moving here. I'd think anyone moving here is not doing so to get a hip-urban experience or have the country's best bus system. And I think the 'disappointment' you speak of is not the overall effectiveness of the transportation system, it is the general undesirability of riding it. Instead of spending more money on expanding the transportation system, I think that money should be used to be cleaning up the current system. The bus drivers I spoke with told me that routinely they are breaking up fights, kicking people off, or having to get the bus cleaned because people used the bathroom inside the bus. They could also discontinue some of the routes. I took the San Pedro commuter line to work several times and usually it was no more than 2-3 people on the bus....what a waist of tax-resources to run a bus for 3 people. All that being said, we know these projects have nothing to do with serving the public.

Old 07-29-2016, 09:47 PM

26,465 posts, read 44,530,015 times
Judge denies injunction in ART lawsuit, construction can move forward
By Chelo Rivera Published: July 29, 2016, 12:30 pm Updated: July 29, 2016, 8:20 pm

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) – Judge Gonzales denied an injunction to halt construction on the controversial Albuquerque Rapid Transit project Friday.

ART construction on Central is set to start next week.

Judge Kenneth Gonzales was considering whether the decision by the Federal Transit Administration to allow the project to get a categorical exclusion as opposed to an environmental assessment was proper.

Entire Article Here: Judge denies injunction in ART lawsuit, construction can move forward | KRQE News 13

Old 07-30-2016, 06:51 AM

3,690 posts, read 8,049,525 times
Election day won't come soon enough for a number of Albuquerque residents.

Not the presidential one later this year, the one in October 2017, where we elect a new mayor. ART could very well be the leading issue.

We may not even end up with a candidate who pledges to keep it, but rather squabbling between who would repeal and revert it harder and faster.

Given that it's an off-year election, I bet we'll get a bigger turnout than the 60k-ish that turned out for the last one.

Wonder if Mayor Marty wants his old job back.

Old 07-30-2016, 09:48 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,351,813 times
I'm just relieved that we'll get a break from the anti-ART hysteria and misinformation, which has reached a fever-pitch recently in the last-ditch effort to halt the project.

Summerfest in Nob Hill recently was successful and crowded, while that whole stretch of Rt. 66 was closed to traffic. Somehow people managed to get there in large numbers without driving or parking on Central. And yet Nob Hill business owners want us to believe that ART will hurt their businesses? Come on.

Old 07-30-2016, 04:49 PM

3,690 posts, read 8,049,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
I'm just relieved that we'll get a break from the anti-ART hysteria and misinformation, which has reached a fever-pitch recently in the last-ditch effort to halt the project.
This controversy is going nowhere. I'm sure the appeal brief was written before the decision was reached. Most of the hysteria and misinformation I've seen has been on the pro-ART side.

Quote:
Summerfest in Nob Hill recently was successful and crowded, while that whole stretch of Rt. 66 was closed to traffic. Somehow people managed to get there in large numbers without driving or parking on Central.
Right, because Central both W and E of Nob Hill, open to traffic, could not have been a method of arriving in Nob Hill.

That may actually become the case once Central becomes a parking lot.

Quote:
And yet Nob Hill business owners want us to believe that ART will hurt their businesses? Come on.
You speak as if summerfest actually made those businesses' yearly sales. A bunch of people show up with their kids for live music, food trucks, and free giveaways, and what all did they actually buy from the businesses?

Reminds me of that friend you had in college who always threw the best parties, and yet somehow, much to his surprise, he ended up losing the apartment because he couldn't afford the rent. Turns out you have to make the rent on school nights too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or